Lt. Commander
# 1 Impressive Head-start Uptime
01-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Don't need to add to the negative threads here so I am just going to say thank you for a fairly smooth Head-start so far.

All of these winning kids complaining about down-time must not have played EQ or UO at launch. It was like downloading a dvd using a telegraph.
Gonna take this opportunity to get some sleep. Looking forward to playing tomorrow.

Thx again for great game so far.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Here at 2 am server down and no warning. Not liking this no warning thing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Remember you used to get knocked out into that chat queue in EQ for DAYS sometimes when the servers broke.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-30-2010, 11:17 PM
I got through the tutorial and a few levels earlier. I'm happy enough.

I'm not in a rush to max out my character and cry there is nothing left to do within the first few weeks like most people.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-30-2010, 11:19 PM
yeah I remember "the old days' but those standards have been gone for years. Warhammer, lotro, and others have had far less to no problems in their headstarts for several years now.

You can't bring up old examples anymore when other games are handling it fine. They didn't test enough with only two weeks, that's the issue here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
beg to differ: this is worse than either Auto Assault or Tabula Rasa headstarts in terms of uptime.

The games themselves were absolute piles of rancid monkey droppings, you understand, but at least you could dig through said piles to play on a reliable basis.

Warhammer had a reasonably smooth headstart and a pretty polished (if ever so slightly grindy) game at launch. It can be done.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAmyWeaver View Post
beg to differ: this is worse than either Auto Assault or Tabula Rasa headstarts in terms of uptime.
Imma have to disagree with you on that. I spent two days running around in Tabula Rosa as just a big giant head with a gun sticking out of my mouth. It was quite comical watching people following me around and asking if I had some kind of cheat as I was invulnerable.

The Auto Assault was pretty smooth though, if I remember correctly. I actually liked that game. I was sad when they turned it off.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post
yeah I remember "the old days' but those standards have been gone for years. Warhammer, lotro, and others have had far less to no problems in their headstarts for several years now.

You can't bring up old examples anymore when other games are handling it fine. They didn't test enough with only two weeks, that's the issue here.
You're right - Warhammer stayed up a good amount of time. Mind you, the slipping back to launcher after a death, 30 to 60 minutes of staring at a load screen only to crash to desktop, etc must have been figments of my imagination.

LoTRO therefore also did not have instances of NPCs not spawning properly (After someone killed the first set) so that you couldn't advance, or people getting stuck in scenery - After all, the river was pretty, i obviously WANTED to stay there and the client knew my desires better than i did..

/sarcasm
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post

Yea, the guy above beat me to it, but you obviously didn't play in Warhammer launch. The NPCs would take 15min to talk to you. You could queue up a quest NPC, go kill stuff for a while and it would pop up after about 10-15min giving you the quest from across the map.

Also, often times the server would hang and then port you back to character starting zone, even if you were way past that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 03:39 AM
never experienced it, and I was in CB,OB and Launch.