Lt. Commander
# 71
01-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustic13 View Post
Too bad this approach is a rarity. Also, the use of "fanboi" in the way you have is derogatory, which is not intelligent, polite or respectful.

...spaces after commas are good!
But 'fanboi' accurattly describes these people that he refers to.
Lt. Commander
# 72
01-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erastuss View Post
For those that remember Star Trek when it first aired, the game appears to be a shallow online RPG shooter with Trek dressing.
Yup. Which is what can be expected given the 18 month development time. I heard about this game early last year and went "wtf?" when I then heard it was about to be released. I waited three years for PotBS and it had already been in development for two when I heard about it. WoW was in development in 1999.
Lt. Commander
# 73
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andurian01 View Post
There is a difference between making your voice heard and beating the marrow out of a dead horse.

Cryptic knows they have to optimize the server drastically, hell they probably would have loved to not release till they felt it was ready, but suits and bean counters don't give a sod about that.
Arn't you getting a little sick of hearing this same excuse over and over? This excuse has been used in almost every MMO that has come out in the last 10 years.
Lt. Commander
# 74
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkybudz
Let me start by saying im a huge ST fan and scifi in general i am also a seasond mmo gamer 35 years old and ive played almost all of them. So far i think im up to 18-20 alpha/beta tests. That being said im no rookie to launches nor problems therein.

One thing you cannot do if you as a consumer if you want your chosen game to be good is make excuses for the developers. What that does is show them you are willing to accept halfassd work becouse of the games license just ask those who watched there swg go down in flames becouse of all the ubergeeks willimg to accept starwarsy and iconic :p

The people complaining about the headstart have every right to do so and LOUDLY. In essence what we have given them is an interest free loan to be able to PLAY the COMPLETED game untill launch thats what ya paid for thats what you should get. (threatining to sue is ridiculous).

Even worse then empty and idle threats is coddling them. Alot of you are young and have never had people working for you but alot of you have and do. So let me ask you this if i work for you and i tell you that on wensday im doin A,b,c, so that on fri D can happen if by sun D still hasnt happend or breaks when you try to use it are you going to make excuses for him/her?

Since the moment they took my money i have had every right to expect and demand a useable and viable product that holds true with anything not only mmo's but for some reason gameing companies get away with releasing half finished unstable products as a rule and not the exception. Untill we the end user stop tolerating it ,it shall never change.

Let them know you are unsatisfied but do intelligently,politely,and with some respect. But for the love of god dont tell people they have no right nor basis to be dissapointed.
Can haz ur burgers?
Lt. Commander
# 75
01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Meeber Zloot
Arn't you getting a little sick of hearing this same excuse over and over? This excuse has been used in almost every MMO that has come out in the last 10 years.
I think it was Albert Einstein who said the definition of insanity was trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The reason is pretty damn simple. These issues only manifest under heavy load and squashing one bug can often unmask another. It is amazing the amount of non-programmers who believe that MMO backend's are simple.
Lt. Commander
# 76
01-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Don't worry or believe your lying eyes. We all know that they did many "stress tests", everything is going as planned.

Besides, when Cryptic starts making THEIR 4TH MMO soon, they will have gotten the process down by then. Well maybe by the 5th MMO they release, but if not the 6th MMO they release for sure. This is Cryptic's first rodeo, give them a break, give in to the dark side and accept it without question, give up.....

:p
Lt. Commander
# 77
01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkybudz
Let me start by saying im a huge ST fan and scifi in general i am also a seasond mmo gamer 35 years old and ive played almost all of them. So far i think im up to 18-20 alpha/beta tests. That being said im no rookie to launches nor problems therein.

One thing you cannot do if you as a consumer if you want your chosen game to be good is make excuses for the developers. What that does is show them you are willing to accept halfassd work becouse of the games license just ask those who watched there swg go down in flames becouse of all the ubergeeks willimg to accept starwarsy and iconic :p

The people complaining about the headstart have every right to do so and LOUDLY. In essence what we have given them is an interest free loan to be able to PLAY the COMPLETED game untill launch thats what ya paid for thats what you should get. (threatining to sue is ridiculous).

Even worse then empty and idle threats is coddling them. Alot of you are young and have never had people working for you but alot of you have and do. So let me ask you this if i work for you and i tell you that on wensday im doin A,b,c, so that on fri D can happen if by sun D still hasnt happend or breaks when you try to use it are you going to make excuses for him/her?

Since the moment they took my money i have had every right to expect and demand a useable and viable product that holds true with anything not only mmo's but for some reason gameing companies get away with releasing half finished unstable products as a rule and not the exception. Untill we the end user stop tolerating it ,it shall never change.

Let them know you are unsatisfied but do intelligently,politely,and with some respect. But for the love of god dont tell people they have no right nor basis to be dissapointed.
I agree 100%
Lt. Commander
# 78
01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazerLight
really?? soo you made a game that lets 100k people on the same server at the same time?? I wonder what that product you have is..

are you in IT?? If soo can you tell me how to test servers for 100k people... Before you accually have 100k people playing?

let me let ya in on a secret.. You cant...
So then why not let people know before they buy the game that they will be beta testing the game for a few months. That way they are warned and won't feel ripped off when the game does not work.
Lt. Commander
# 79
01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
I 50% agree... standing up for something you like is not wrong either... but going out and say bugs shouldent be fixed is something else... I like the game as it is and I am haveing fun in it..

that how ever dosent meen I dont want more content and fast...
just that I would rather have it out now then wait another year playing it cause people can't stand it beeing "incomplete".

in my eyes a mmorpg is never ever going to be complete as there is always change.

I like cryptics way of handling most things and have fun playing STO... people threatening to leave makes my day cause I have something to do during down time
Lt. Commander
# 80
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
The part that I love about this whole ordeal is the fact that Cryptic said during Beta they had no idea how popular it was going to be...

Seriously..? You had no idea what so ever that possibly one of the biggest sci-fi franchises ever was going to be popular?! At no point did you think you might need bigger/better servers?

Am I right in thinking that if I don't use my retail code yet my 30 day trial will not start? Because at this point I'm considering leaving it a month or two before I start parting with my cash on a monthly basis.

When SWG (I know I shouldn't use that name here!) launched, at no point what so ever was I unable to connect to the game due to server overload. Certainly not these days! :p

I'm not a Star Trek fanboy, I do enjoy the shows but that's as far as it goes. I saw potential when playing the beta, however if the servers cannot handle just pre-order customers, what is it going to be like after 2nd Feb?!