Lt. Commander
# 81
01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I agree with the op, but until the forums are locked on Tuesday, we are still dealing with beta-trolls. After Teusday I will be more willing to accept criticism of the devs (and give it myself) because they will be paying customers.

I just find it hilarious that they said they werent marketing towards trekkies and now they are fumbling around with servers because of the trekkies that showed up.

As the old saying goes: "if you build it, they will come."
Lt. Commander
# 82
01-31-2010, 01:26 PM
OP: You're right...

"Trust but verify"

..It's a good policy... Though I wouldn't say that this compares to nuclear war in severity =) It's a polite way of saying, I will work with you...but I already know you'll sucker me if you can...

I have myriad good things to say about the game, I also have a basket full of criticisms about the numerous screw-ups they've made ...now on the finished product (as it were)...

The people who just call the game crap and rant about getting there money back, suing...blah blah blah are making legit criticism by many people ineffective...

The sycophants attacking anyone that has a problem with the game are just making *everyone* look illegitimate by candy coating the real problems that the team that makes this game need to be aware of....for their own good....

Basically... wild ranting sucks.... The best you can do is remember

1.) this is a game, at it's best, it will never be more than a game (particularly to it's designers)

2.) This is a product, a brand...this is your toothpaste... You paid for it...even if you got a coupon...even if you got Two Tubes For The Price of One... There are standards, and because Brand X has glass shards in it doesn't mean it's okay for Brand Y to also have glass bits in it...

3.) How you treat others in these forums will only hurt you here and in the game perhaps...but that reflection in the mirror is going to be there long after this game is gone....
Lt. Commander
# 83
01-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy
Seriously..? You had no idea what so ever that possibly one of the biggest sci-fi franchises ever was going to be popular?! At no point did you think you might need bigger/better servers?
Marketing people do polls to gauge consumer interest. This data was below what the actual interest was.

Star Wars is a massive sci-fi franchise and SWG's numbers hardly blew any ones sucks off.
Lt. Commander
# 84
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Meeber Zloot
So then why not let people know before they buy the game that they will be beta testing the game for a few months. That way they are warned and won't feel ripped off when the game does not work.
That is the bonus content for every mmo ever released.
Granted I remember being outraged when playing EQ and beta testing many things while live. It can suck but it's the nature of the beast. No one not even Blizzard who wipe their asses with 100$ bills can throw enough money at testing to emulate what it will be like live.

In Everquest they weren't bugs they were 'features'
SWG content that was originally planned for launch was not all in game till 12mo later.
WoW servers at launch were as stable as Micheal J Fox on ice.
Lt. Commander
# 85
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
I agree with the op, but until the forums are locked on Tuesday, we are still dealing with beta-trolls. After Teusday I will be more willing to accept criticism of the devs (and give it myself) because they will be paying customers.
Nope, just having a pre-order code gets you 7 days of "grace period".
Lt. Commander
# 86
01-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
Nope, just having a pre-order code gets you 7 days of "grace period".
You don't get a pre-order code without shelling out cash, even if they plan on getting a refund. Beta access didn't guarentee headstart access, that was for pre-orders only. Everyone here now, has shelled out cash and are customers. Pay to beta is the future, and the future is now! *cue snappy techno music
Lt. Commander
# 87
01-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStreaker
You don't get a pre-order code without shelling out cash, even if they plan on getting a refund. Beta access didn't guarentee headstart access, that was for pre-orders only. Everyone here now, has shelled out cash and are customers. Pay to beta is the future, and the future is now! *cue snappy techno music
IIRC some shops were selling the pre-order boxes for 99 cents. You could also pre-order and cancel an order and still have a valid code, or simply not go in and pick up your box on Tuesday.
Lt. Commander
# 88
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublespeak
Now that's funny. Let me guess you've never used an online business application?

Working for a business that has a business database online that our customers use i can tell you this happens not just to MMO's.. We had problems that brought down our system because of an obscure update that a hardware vendor neglected to apply.

Crap happens in these kinds of environments all the time.
Crap like that happens because of incompetence. In your example, the hardware vendor and your own management for not testing the update *was* applied.

Don't dream to think because you allow incompetence in your own business model, all consumers would or should accept it as the norm.

Your acceptability of incompetence is not my level of acceptance nor necessarily the level accepted by others. Your post displays nothing more than a "it will do" attitude.
Lt. Commander
# 89
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Right now the Devs are looking Star Wars Galaxies NGE invention team style incompetent.
Lt. Commander
# 90
01-31-2010, 02:42 PM
My biggest concern atm is the totall lack of comunication. Every other game that the devs have ignored there PB like this the game never ever makes it. A dev posting something as simple a "Guys chill i,m knee deep in code atm trying to fic the mem leak and the network guys have the server in pieces working it out.. i promise ill keep ya posted". Those of us who are reasonable yet not blind would ease up at least for a bit.