Lt. Commander
# 1 state of the game...
01-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Let me start off by stating that i have been a beta tester since well before earth and beyond. that being said, i haven't experienced this kind of downtime in a game in a long time.
Im not angry about unexpected downtime. i AM angry that the game is this unstable this late in the game. the lag on sol station, the lag in space. the load times. this game is STILL in beta. it is starting to feel like Cryptic is forcing an early release just to make a buck.
This particular game has an unusual fan base. First they are fiercely loyal to Star Trek. Secondly, they are fiercely loyal to Star Trek. If you ruin this game with this kind of service, you will tarnish your name.
My suggestion is to extend the beta however i understand that your stuck on a schedule.
break it!
your fans will respect you more then you will know. yes, they will gripe. but in the end, you wont lose them.
in the end, i feel you will choose money over product. you will go the route of Microsoft . you will release an unfinished, open ended product hoping to catch up later. i was also on the WOW beta. i didn't see this kind of stability issues. others did...i didn't. i can only say what i experienced.
stabilize this game. finish the ground combat, smooth the space combat and stabilize the game.
good luck Cryptic.
P.s I figure that ill get flamed for this post. all i ask is please be respectful.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
They won't be respectful. You know that. lol
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
i know....but i had to ask. sometimes i get frustrated by the fact that the age of of the poster drops as they type the flames.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 11:27 AM
I totally agree. I don't have much time for gaming, but untill now each time I try to play STO the darn server is down. This sure is not what I payed for! I hope they fix atleast the server down time asap.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Why are there so many of these? The 12 year olds need to take a break from their computer or something..

Look, there's nothing wrong here.

Things to consider about the head-start:

1. You get to play earlier than anyone else that may want to play this.
2. They can test the servers BEFORE launch, and hopefully fix some of the problems that are occurring.
3. They don't have to give you a head-start.
4. You didn't have to pre-order the game. You didn't have to go in the head-start.

You say that Cryptic is just looking for a quick buck... I say, it's a way for us to play early, and for them to fix some issues before the game is actually released. You're not paying anymore money than if you didn't pre-order.

I know Beta was supposed to be for this, however, they had MANY more players than they expected (especially towards the end). And they'll get a lot more upon release. You can't predict the amount of people that want to play this game.

Simpley put, many times before. There's been NO perfect launch for any MMO. So please, stop posting useless threads.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyagerftw
Simpley put, many times before. There's been NO perfect launch for any MMO. So please, stop posting useless threads.
Agreed. Every MMO I've ever played had some issues like this. I get weary of all these posts, since they seem to have no clue about the realities of launching an MMO. Only a few companies have ever had a flawless MMO launch. The game will still be here after Headstart, and the issues will get resolved. Get some sun and fresh air in the meantime. Get a Headstart on burning calories. No matter how much you think you spent on this game, you've spent far more on all kinds of crap you never used or threw in the trash or gave away to Goodwill. At least STO will keep evolving and improving unlike so much of the other stuff we buy and end up not using...

The 'I'm mad as heck / money spent' ratio is always way out of whack for MMO launches, but some people just don't get it for some reason.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 12:10 PM
The lag killed me over and over im still stuck there now, cant do anything ((((((((((((((
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Why are there so many of these? The 12 year olds need to take a break from their computer or something..

2. They can test the servers BEFORE launch, and hopefully fix some of the problems that are occurring.
4. You didn't have to pre-order the game. You didn't have to go in the head-start.

You say that Cryptic is just looking for a quick buck... I say, it's a way for us to play early, and for them to fix some issues before the game is actually released. You're not paying anymore money than if you didn't pre-order.

I know Beta was supposed to be for this, however, they had MANY more players than they expected (especially towards the end). And they'll get a lot more upon release. You can't predict the amount of people that want to play this game.

You miight not understand, headstart is NOT beta, it is a benefit for pre-ordering the game. It is the START of the live servers. To give Cryptic a pass by saying this is a beta is simply not true. Secondly, These problems should have been fixed in Beta, that is what it is there for. I have been very patient until friday when the game went LIVE. I agree, I chose to preorder the game with the contractual understanding with Cryptic that I was purchasing a product as is with the understanding that they would continue to improve it. AND YET, we should look at all the games that have had disastrous starts and see where they are today. Matrix Online, Tabula Rasa, etc. They are gone because that magical first month was a disaster. Cryptic had better beware that they are in for a major PR nightmare unless this problem is quickly recified.
They should at a minimum take a page from Blizzard's CS Dept and credit players for every day there are major issues. That is what Blizzard did at th beginning of WoW and they gained customer loyalty for it. That is obvious.
I have "X" ammount of gaming time and dollars. It's not infinite and neither is my patience. They get a couple of weeks out of me and if it is still broken, I cancel my sub and go back to wow. It's that simple.
So here's to hoping that if the Techies can't get it working right, then the Customer Service dept can. That will be the only thing that saves STO in the event these bugs aren't squished in the next 72 to 96 hours.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:

First off, im not 12. im 39. and this is NOT BETA. that being said, no beta is smooth in the release is an excuse so they can release an unfinished product.
ITS UNFINISHED. and its released. you dont see this as a problem?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortichi View Post
First off, im not 12. im 39. and this is NOT BETA. that being said, no beta is smooth in the release is an excuse so they can release an unfinished product.
ITS UNFINISHED. and its released. you dont see this as a problem?
Um, release is February 2nd. It's not released. Unless you live in the future, in which case can you post the Lottery numbers for Wednesday?