Lt. Commander
# 1 Let's Compare
01-31-2010, 11:43 AM
First off I'd like to say that I am a little upset over the amount of down time we've had so far, I know "it happens" but honestly it's starting to get pretty bad. I stopped to think back on other MMO releases, as countless people have been pointing out that "Downtime" is normal. So I decided to compile a list of all the MMO's that I was in for release and try to remember back to how much actual "Server downtime" they had on release. Many of them are from quite a while ago, so please feel free to expand on them if you were around then.

This isn't a *****fest, or hate fest. Just something for us to do while we wait for Cryptic to get it fixed. So have fun, and lets try to keep the "hater" or "fanboy" flames to a minimum. Downtime sucks and as paying customers we don't like to see it, but it is what it is. Anyway, on tot he MMO Releases.

1997 - Ultima Online - I don't remember any consistent server down time on release, but the latency, aka two step shuffle, was pretty bad. If I remember correctly the latency probs lasted quite a while, but the server downtime wasn't really memorable.

1999 - Everquest - I do remember there being some server downs for EQ, but once again I don't recall them being quite as bad as some releases.

2003 - Planetside - Very little server down time for this titles release that I remember. Hell, I don't really recall any bad issues with this titles release at all.

2003 - Star Wars Galaxies - I didn't really play SWG full-time on release so I don't know if server downtimes were an issue. I do remember that when I did try tolog in I didn't have any problems.

2004 - City of Heroes - Servers went up and stayed up pretty well from what I can remember. I can't really remember anything bad about COH's launch. Anyone else?

2004 - Wold of ******** - While server downtime wasn't really an issue at launch they had many other major issues. Their items database was utterly borked and made the game almost unplayable for the first 3 weeks and the log-in ques were a rude awakening to what happens when a title gets overloaded with players. Might be a great game now, but it's release was utter crap.

2005 - Guild Wars - As with SWG I didn't play this game full time on release so don't really know how it was. Anyone else?

2008 - Warhammer Online - This title actually had a pretty decent launch. While they had to open more servers due to the initial crowd being rather large, they did it relatively quickly. There was downtime on release, but for the most part I don't recall it being "too much". Just sux the game was completely broken at end-game.

2009 - Champions Online - I think the headstart for this title was smoother than the actual release. The "massive nerf patch" on release day was most definitely one of those WTF moments.

2010 - Star Trek Online - You know this already.

For me it seems like STO is hugging the lower end of stability for launch. Not nearly as bad as WOW was but nowhere near as smoothly as some of the others. I've heard horror stories about some other titles launches, but having not played them I couldn't really say. Vanguard, ***, LOTRO, and others all may or may not have had rough starts. Anyone able to fill us in on those or others?

Once again, lets try to keep this thread as what it is. A look back at other MMO releases to try and pass the time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Age of Conan

You are bringing back the nightmares of the beta, and the first few months i played it
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 11:46 AM
What WoW were you playing... servers were down a **** ton the first few weeks, and when they were up, they were queued out the ass, which also qualifies as down, since you couldn't get in. STO isn't doing half bad, as all launches are utter ****.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
EQ1 actually shutdown for a week or two while they got additional ISP bandwidth.

I thought UO was actually sued over the unplayability at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Pull the fing photon out of your aft and GET OVER IT. So sick of these whiner threads. You don't like it GO AWAY!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 11:49 AM
If the launch of an MMO continues (technically bad), the same for a few months from the launch day, numbers fall bigtime and then its downhill.

Age of Conan and Warhammer are now playing great (tried trials), but the player base never got back to what it was a launch.

Ive just got totally fed up with orcs, goblins , spellcasting type games, thats why im sticking with STO for foreseeable future.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urko View Post
Age of Conan

You are bringing back the nightmares of the beta, and the first few months i played it
*** launch was not that bad. It was just a bad game IMO. I don't rember too much down time, but then again I was busy packing and moving when it launched so I might not be rember it right. But Warhammer and LOTR both had smooth launches. And so have others. They people on forums defending a bad launch are just doing it because deep down they are afraid that STO is going to fail. They thus have a drive to defend it like made and anyone who complains must some how not be as smart or experienced as they are. They know in their heart's that STO was rushed out too early. They only defend in the hopes that others will allso want to pay a company to finish they game. Because it is Star Trek. If this game was Capt.Cryptic in outer space instead of Star Trek this MMO would of been laughed at for how unfinished it is.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Interesting you say your LOTRO and Warhammer were smooth, are you in America ?

EU betas and launches of both were bug ridden lagfests. (months after too)
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 11:54 AM
planetside was always and will always be a lag fest
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talamakara View Post
Pull the fing photon out of your aft and GET OVER IT. So sick of these whiner threads. You don't like it GO AWAY!!!!
Can't we all just have a civil discussion? I am not crying for your game to fail. I am not crying that the sky is falling. If I didn't enjoy the game and think it has great potential I wouldn't have purchased a lifetime sub.

Even if the 2/2/10 release goes poorly I will continue to play the game. It's just interesting to see how everyone stacks this release to other games release. So... please check the attitudes at the door and let us know how your experiences with other MMO release compares.