Lt. Commander
It's inevitable in any game that has PVP content that some players take getting killed personally, get all angry about it, etc.

Well it only took a little over 24 hours from the beginning of the Head Start and I already wound up on someone's ignore list. Makes me kind of proud in a way. Ordinarily I take no pleasure in causing grief or annoyance to other players, I PVP because I like the challenge. Anyone that has done both PVP and PVE content will immediately notice the difference, and it makes it a whole lot more fun when your enemies can think, use tactics, work in teams, not just just get stuck on asteroids until you blow them up because they don't reinforce their shield sidings.

So I was just doing regular PVP matches, and in between queues i'd explore a little bit. I went over to a system near K7 and found myself to be the only Klingon there out of 15 or so federation. They were all flying around trying to kill borg. So I figured it was a great place to hone my skills since I was grossly outnumbered, i'd just fly around, try to find people alone, blow them away and re-stealth before help arrived. So I started routinely doing this between PvP queues because it's basically the only place you can do any PVP i've found without having to queue up first, and i'm absolutely annihilating all these feds with at least a 20 to 1 Kill-Death ratio.

Now that the stage has been set, i'll tell my story.

I noticed this one particular guy i'd blown up several times and he had just respawned, by himself of course. So I could've easily gone over there and killed him before he even finished respawning, but I didn't see the need in that and it was rather unsporting, so I just sat there and watched him for a bit and finally he took off at full impulse. So I followed him, still cloaked of course. Now he was flying all over the place, practically off the map, far away from the other players, the borg npcs, and so on. So I figure he's just exploring, probably still learning the game, etc so I stop pursuit and start heading back to the center of the map to find more stragglers to prey on.

While flying away, I figured i'd send this guy a tell cause I felt kinda bad for killing him so many times that I actually remembered his name. I simply said, "You exploring the map?". And hoo boy did I get a response. Apparently this kid was totally angry at me, and I had forgotten to turn off the profanity filter for my new character so I could only read maybe one out of every 3 words he wrote, the rest were censored lol. Boy was he angry and apparently he wasn't exploring at all, but he was looking FOR ME. I started to tell him that I had a cloaking device which I don't think he realized and that he wouldn't be able to just stumble upon me, but he just kept ranting at me.

So, not one to just sit there and be insulted repeatedly just because I killed another player in a PVP zone, I changed course again, went right back to where he was, dropped out of cloak behind him, tractored him, and blew him to powder. And here came another slew of insults and censored profanities. I couldn't help but giggle to myself. Like I said, I normally don't take any pleasure in other people's grief or annoyance, and i'm probably one of the few PvPers out there that would actually stop ganking you if you asked nicely, but when someone wants to start being insulting to me, theres nothing I love more than blowing them away to make them angry. His final whisper to me was that he was putting me on his ignore list, which wouldn't have stopped me from killing him, and I wasn't even saying anything bad back to him, despite all the childish language he was spewing at me, so I found that funny too.

It's so inevitable in PVP games for people to take it personally and get all upset over a game. Kind of sad and pathetic really, but it always happens, and I always end up on a lot of ignore lists and i'm sure the number of em i'm on in STO will increase too.

So this should be an Achievement / Accolade. Being ignored over PVP for the first time on a new character.

I honestly don't understand why people goto PVP zones if they don't want to PVP in the first place. As soon as a klingon uncloaks and blows you away, if you don't like it, you should just leave, not start spewing offensive language.

Heres a pro-tip from years of MMO experience: PVPing isn't a punishable offense, offensive language is. Keep that in mind yall.

And yeah yeah, cool story bro and all that. :p Just thought i'd share to pass the time while the server is down. :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Haha good one Feels weird to be able to communicate with the enemy side ingame...to do that in other mmo's like **** and warhammer ppl used irc to flame or praise.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labolina View Post
Haha good one Feels weird to be able to communicate with the enemy side ingame...to do that in other mmo's like **** and warhammer ppl used irc to flame or praise.
I don't think it's really a bad thing. I mean it's kind of ironic that in games like World of ******** where Horde and Alliance interact in the same world and could actually help each other do some things from time to time, communication is prohibited...

Then in a game like this, where klingons are practically in a cage locked away from the rest of society except in short bursts where we are unleashed on them in PVP zones, we can talk freely to them.

I only hope some day klingons will be allowed into Federation PVE content. Seems a shame that we cant access 95% of the game, such a high price to pay for cool looking ships.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 08:04 AM
I still can't figure out how /ignore constitutes punishment...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Qapla'. Fed is really just another name for petaQ or toDSaH. I try to ignore the lot of them on principle. I mean, if I'm gonna play the black sheep of the game's design, then I should go along and play the part, right?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 08:31 AM
My problem is when I praise my enemy, I usually get some arrogance or epeen measuring right back. So I tend not to have Zone chat open at all during PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid
Qapla'. Fed is really just another name for petaQ or toDSaH. I try to ignore the lot of them on principle. I mean, if I'm gonna play the black sheep of the game's design, then I should go along and play the part, right?
Calm down barbie.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
My problem is when I praise my enemy, I usually get some arrogance or epeen measuring right back. So I tend not to have Zone chat open at all during PVP.
I don't want to miss all the precious QQ from the feds who think they should win against a premade on vent, without any kind of organization or skill on their behalf. Then half an hour later there's a post on the forums by the same fed who got stomped. That's when it gets really juicy.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundredth View Post
I don't want to miss all the precious QQ from the feds who think they should win against a premade on vent, without any kind of organization or skill on their behalf. Then half an hour later there's a post on the forums by the same fed who got stomped. That's when it gets really juicy.
Interesting, because I never did that. I remember complimenting your team for playing the way I think PVPers should play, and a few people on your team said 'Thank you' like any polite person would do. I also hoped that you would post a little about your gameplay because I've seen more Klingon QQers than Federation QQers, at least during Beta.

But then you and a few others went right back and said how you could have crushed us with a smaller team, or how we QQ too much. I'm wondering how saying 'You guys fight well! Nice game!' translates to QQ?