Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 12:02 PM
as it's not first person... it's not an FPS.

at most 3PS... but yes.. an MMOG. It's big enough, multiplayer, online.. etc.. meets the requirements so to speak. Some will claim it's not an MMO since it's multiplayer aspect can effectively be turned off..

However, if I'm flying through sector space and can see the U.S.S. Hello Kitty.. and *NOT* be able to turn them off and kick them out.. then yeah, it's an MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwig View Post
Sadly it seems STO is nothing but an arcade space-shooter, the only motivation to play is to get the next tier ship. That. Is. It.
You sir, are 100% correct.
And the fan boys will jump all over you for pointing out the facts...
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
i wouldn't class it as either mmofps or mmorpg, it's more like an action/shooter multiplayer online game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gul_Exo View Post
i wouldn't class it as either mmofps or mmorpg, it's more like an action/shooter multiplayer online game.
I'm pretty much ok with that definition. an MMO I can enjoy.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I've been playing it as a 2nd person racer strategy game.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoojo
I've been playing it as a 2nd person racer strategy game.
Huh. How'd you manage that?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwig View Post
Sadly it seems STO is nothing but an arcade space-shooter, the only motivation to play is to get the next tier ship. That. Is. It.
In a way.. STO and GuildWars have a LOT of strong similarities.

for contrast the gear system in WoW is very "instant gratification", in that you have literally a new piece of gear at every turn. WoW is indeed a strongly gear based game though, so this aspect of it's design makes a lot of sense, constantly chasing the carrot.

GuildWars is different.. Characters starting in the NightFall storyline can have access to a max armor rating gear and max damage weapon by the time they hit level 10.. maybe less if they're good. Sure the armor is not modded yet with a rune and insignia, but it's more than enough to get through anything a level 10 will face.. or an 11 for that matter. *Normal* gear progression in Guildwars is very spread out.. not quite every 10 ranks like STO but it breaks down about the same. GW isn't gear based though... sure it helps.. but ultimately it's player skill that will save you.

I think STO is something of a balance between the two.. the slow gear progression of GuildWars and not a *TON* of gear (ship) options coupled with gear having fairly significant meaning like WoW
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 12:14 PM
ive seen a few of these threads and this one really bugs me.
its not a first person shooter or a third person shooter

shooters are where you have to actively drag the cursor onto the target and press the fire button like a trigger. cal of duty or bioshock are shooters. STO is not

some people may disagree with whether its and mmo or no but please stop calling it a shooter. the mechanics are the game as any other mmo. you lock a target and then activate your attacks or abilities
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannigan
In a way.. STO and GuildWars have a LOT of strong similarities.

for contrast the gear system in WoW is very "instant gratification", in that you have literally a new piece of gear at every turn. WoW is indeed a strongly gear based game though, so this aspect of it's design makes a lot of sense, constantly chasing the carrot.

GuildWars is different.. Characters starting in the NightFall storyline can have access to a max armor rating gear and max damage weapon by the time they hit level 10.. maybe less if they're good. Sure the armor is not modded yet with a rune and insignia, but it's more than enough to get through anything a level 10 will face.. or an 11 for that matter. *Normal* gear progression in Guildwars is very spread out.. not quite every 10 ranks like STO but it breaks down about the same. GW isn't gear based though... sure it helps.. but ultimately it's player skill that will save you.

I think STO is something of a balance between the two.. the slow gear progression of GuildWars and not a *TON* of gear (ship) options coupled with gear having fairly significant meaning like WoW
This game will not stand on its own legs as a subscription based game. It would be better served to go a route similar to guild wars. I think they will milk the sub system as long as they can and will switch both CO and STO over to that type of system and finish working on their next rushed out the door money grab NWN online.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krux View Post
*Rpg is non-existant since all map points and personal wins are based on ‘damage-output or kills’, and without anyone playing a role as a science officer or engineer being recognized or rewarded for healing or shielding, for example; everything favors the tactician role only of damage.

*Exploration mmorpg style doesn’t exist, so there’s no freedom of exploration. No exploration to other planets or discovery; again, your confined to your shoe-box instance, fps style without anything dynamically to do. There is no away-team capability to freely explore the surface of a planet, which is essentially an inanimate marble, in a shoe-box instance.
well i would strongly disagree with you on this. because the majority of my gameplay experiences when exploring the genesis created clusters is research and survey in space and on ground. with few actual combat missions.