Lt. Commander
Over at mmorpg which is probably the largest mmo site on-line, the word Cryptic is more like a swear word. I have not seen this much hate against a company in my life, I doubt if they can ever recover from this bad mouthing as word travels very fast on-line and it seems their strategy has been rumbled.

What do you think?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../267449/page/1
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 04:48 AM
MMORPG.com is a cauldron of hate and always has been. If you read the threads there, you'll learn that every game that has ever been made sucks. It's a good example of how the internet breeds communities united by hate.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 04:48 AM
just another forum troll on a site no-one cares about the forums for. Move along
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 04:49 AM
Besides, I think SOE will hold that mantle for a looooooooong time
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 04:56 AM
Well...

SOE still gets most of the NERD RAGE for the NGE.

However, Cryptic did hire the guy who tanked Hellgate: London, so perhaps they've moved up in the rankings.

I don't know about Cryptic's claim to have "advanced" or modern MMO technology considering I've never seen an MMO with as many loading screens or an inability to highlight objectives on maps...

I used to work in the industry, long before WoW, so I tend to feel a little sympathy for the STO development team. Sometimes you just can't make a correct decision, as far as your customers are concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreya
MMORPG.com is a cauldron of hate and always has been. If you read the threads there, you'll learn that every game that has ever been made sucks. It's a good example of how the internet breeds communities united by hate.
Hmm well I just went to the eve forum on mmorpg as thats a space game and it's full of love, I guess your wrong there like. Maybe it's because Cryptic make bad outdated games that their forums are full of hate, CO is even worse than the STO forum.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vision
Hmm well I just went to the eve forum on mmorpg as thats a space game and it's full of love, I guess your wrong there like. Maybe it's because Cryptic make bad outdated games that their forums are full of hate, CO is even worse than the STO forum.
Go to the official eve forums...
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreya
Indeed. I barely ever go there, except for news items on upcoming releases. I found the forums pretty much worthless and non-informative.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 05:00 AM
Well this guy seems to be 100% spot on:

Quote:
After City of Heroes, Champions Online and now Star Trek online...

We can pretty safely say that Cryptic is an unimaginative, lazy company that just doesn't want to move forward.

From their Development Toolkit. The only thing that stand out from the rest, is their character customization system.

But all the rest of their tools are just unimaginative, utterly simplistic and too restricted.

From zone design to content design.

They are not able to think outside the box or do something different. Because their toolset doesn't allow them to.

That's why mission in STO are the same, feel the same as in Champions Online and City of Heroes.

The only thing their content tool can do appearently, is spawn static interactable objects and groups of mobs and place them in a designated radius on a mission map out of a pool of random maps.

That's it! It was like that in City of Heroes. It is like that in Champions Online. And it is like that in Star Trek Online.

It's just shocking, that they never ever bothered to update their content tools and expand it with more features, freedom and possibilities over the years.
Especially after so many people already complained back then when City of Heroes launched, that the missions were so boring and repetitive. And the same set of indoor maps were being recycled at infinitum.

When it comes to zone design. It's the same thing. Very bland and dead, with no life.
After all these years, their game engine still hasn't got a Flora&Fauna system! It's unbelievable.

So they are still unable to create wildlife on their zone maps.

Not to mention that their zones are just pretty small square maps. Go to the social map Risa, walk up one of the higher hills and look into the distance. It's like you are standing on a square SimCity map out of the 90's.
They didn't even bother creating a more spherical map with more believable horizons. Or at least make the map so big, you can't see you're on a square tilemap.

Because their content tools are so simplistic and restricted. Is the primary reason why their games are just very repetitive and pure combat oriented. As that's all their content tools are able to create.

That's why they are just not able to create fun and engaging mini/meta games. Or pretty much non at all.

Their crafting system sucked in City of Heroes. It sucked again in Champions Online. And with Star Trek Online they seem to have given up on it.

Because everything in the game. From loot to resources. Is totally mob drop dependend. As that's all their engine can do.

That's why you don't have any gathering professions in any of their games. Or anything else out of the ordinary, that doesn't involve killing a mob for loot, barter item, resource or mission update.

----------------

That's why I, as Star Trek fan, am so baffled that Cryptic got hold on the Star Trek IP.

A company that is so unimaginitive, non-innovative and just focusses on making their development proces as simple, fast and totally procedurally, should never have gotten hold on such a big and rich IP as Star Trek.

An IP wich such a rich lore, demands innovation, imagination, thinking out of the box, working outside of the box and non-procedural development.

Lets hope Cryptic won't be able to get hold on any existing IP anymore!

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vision
That's because EVE fanboys have always had a big presence at MMORPG.com.