Lt. Commander
# 1 First MMo and Subscriptions
01-31-2010, 05:08 AM
This is my first MMO, i do love the game, its great..... My wife has just nearly had a heart attack......... I have pre ordered and paid for the game, she has now just seen the subscriptions page and nearly fainted. "You have to pay every month to play this game?" And she Rightly said if you have to pay a monthley fee, then you shouldnt have to pay for the game in the first place. It works out at just over 100 a year, Now i myself am a avid gamer, i have a Gaming PC and laptop, A PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii and consoles and computers going back to The commodore 16/64, Amstrads and Amigas. I spend alot of money buying games and i dont mind paying a small fee for Extra downloadable content, But paying a monthly fee just seems a litte much. unless your one of these people who spend more time in the game than real life....... Just a thought, I am not trolling or hating this game, so please dont flame. Its just my opinion, i will still be playing and i will be paying a monthly fee... just not everymonth. PLEASE KEEP FLAMES TO A MINIMUM!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 05:21 AM
First, all good MMOs charge a monthly subscription fee. This is normal practice and has been for over 10 years now.

Try explaining it to your wife like this. "Well sweetheart, $15 a month works out to about 50 cents a day. That's not bad for a great source of entertainment. We spend more than that on cable TV every month. We usually spend more than that when we go out to lunch, or when we go see a single movie. And I can always get it cheaper by purchasing a 6-month or 1-year subscription."

By the way, if you purchase a 1-year subscription for $120.00 that works out to a mere $10 per month, or about 33 cents per day. A lifetime subscription at $240 (offer expires tomorrow) means that you'd essentially be playing for free after 16 months. If you played for 36 months that works out to about $6.66 per month or about 22 cents a day.

So perhaps you may want to go here http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusive_specials and consider one of those payment options. You'll have to act fast though, those prices expire tomorrow.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 05:23 AM
Don't forget, there will be paid expansions in the future. Based upon previous games by this studio, there will likely be one in ~6 months. Just warning you so you can budget.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 05:25 AM
Yeah i have been looking at the special subscriptions page, but unfortunatly The British Army dosn't like paying us a lot of money and i have 2 kids to look after 1 of my own and a foster son so it looks like i can only play when i can afford it, which sucks as i really do like this game!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 05:25 AM
since its your first mmo none of us will expect you to know why there is a charge, trust me if you like the game then please play, you wont regret it.

the charges basicly pay for everything, including server costs,there paychecks and added content i could li8st a hundred diffrent things, but just givving you an idea.

but PLEASE you really need to not compare MMO's with console/single player games... its an entire diffrent thing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie252 View Post
This is my first MMO, i do love the game, its great..... My wife has just nearly had a heart attack......... I have pre ordered and paid for the game, she has now just seen the subscriptions page and nearly fainted. "You have to pay every month to play this game?" And she Rightly said if you have to pay a monthley fee, then you shouldnt have to pay for the game in the first place. It works out at just over 100 a year, Now i myself am a avid gamer, i have a Gaming PC and laptop, A PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii and consoles and computers going back to The commodore 16/64, Amstrads and Amigas. I spend alot of money buying games and i dont mind paying a small fee for Extra downloadable content, But paying a monthly fee just seems a litte much. unless your one of these people who spend more time in the game than real life....... Just a thought, I am not trolling or hating this game, so please dont flame. Its just my opinion, i will still be playing and i will be paying a monthly fee... just not everymonth. PLEASE KEEP FLAMES TO A MINIMUM!
Usually MMOs are the best value for money, actually. Tell your wife that.

A single MMO might cost upwards of $150-$200 a year, but that's the cost of what.. 3-4 games? And the good MMOs will last you for more than a year.. case in point: I used to play WoW heavily, and saved myself a lot of money because of it, as $15 a month is nothing compared to buying a new game every two weeks. Took me over 2 years to finally get sick of WoW.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 05:43 AM
when you buy a car, you dont expect it to run forever without refuelling or breaking down.

a single player game is a "done and dusted" deal, you pay once and thats that.. i know some now offer free downloaded content, but for the most part what you get in the box is exactly what it is.

A MMO requires maintenance, it requires servers to play upon which cost money to host and keep supplied with power, not to mention costs for thousands of connections in and out to the internet. this is the big part of why a MMO needs a monthly fee, or some kind of fee to keep it running.

the benefit of it however is that what you get in the box is just the start, more will be added to the game on a regular basis, parts of the graphics could changes (UI for example) or whole mission arcs could alter, new content will come regularly as well and in time the version of the game you get in the box will be completely out-dated.

the difference between a pay monthly and free to play model is the management of the game will have a rough idea of how much is going to be coming in that month, so can plan ahead more. with a free to play with money store model they'd need to wait till they make enough to plan large work. I for one prefer to pay monthly to help ensure a more stable future for the games i prefer. Imagine a TV show that'll just show repeats until enough people bother to send in some cash for them to make a new episode, thats F2P (free to play) MMO's.. they've already announced a lot of new content to come soon after launch (for no further charge i might add) such as the entire Sol system and borg encounters.

best thing is however, even if you only play every other month, they dont delete characters from the servers, so you can cancel your sub and restart it as much as you like.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 06:16 AM
With them bringing new content out, new missions and such is it like a add on or does it just update automaticly? and do we have to pay extra for content as well... I have read somewhere you have to buy certain items from the C store?
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 06:20 AM
both.

content will get updated for free, but expansions you will have to pay for if you wish to.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, and not flaming LOL