Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 1 3D Modeling Project
11-29-2013, 04:57 PM
I started this when I was finishing up with school in 2010.
Started working on it again recently.
Hopefully have it completed within a few months.

- Preliminary saucer section design for the one nacelle, Scout Ship Hermes(TOS)
- Program AutoCAD 3D 2012


http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...psec697529.jpg


Will add new links every so often as I get different sections pieced together.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,881
# 2
11-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Not to derail your efforts (I rather like what I'm seeing), but did Roddenberry have a 1-nacelle scout ship? I don't recall. The reason I asked is that, until the last episode of TNG, wasn't there a rule by Roddenberry that ships would always have nacelles in pairs?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 3
11-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
Not to derail your efforts (I rather like what I'm seeing), but did Roddenberry have a 1-nacelle scout ship? I don't recall. The reason I asked is that, until the last episode of TNG, wasn't there a rule by Roddenberry that ships would always have nacelles in pairs?
I had planned to do the Connie originally, still might, just thought the 1 nacelle scout would be easier as a first attempt.
I'm not sure if the Scout is canon or Expanded Universe, just fond of the design, and its simplicity.
This is what I am working off now
(Looks like a schematic from an old model kit or Starfleet Ship Guide);

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...pse2ce6a78.jpg

Then there is this pic, which is inspiring - Chris Martin conceptual design
Evil Mirror Scout - CM;

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...pscc8a53e2.jpg

All in all its just for fun....but hey, if I ever get a 3d printer one day .... fun time

Last edited by taylor1701d; 11-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 115
# 4
11-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I believe the image you're working from is from the old Starfleet Technical Manual. Unfortunately, I think it's been regulated to the expanded universe. It's a pity too since they have a dreadnought with three nacelles in it as well.

Keep us posted on the progress!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,228
# 5
11-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Awesome sauce mate. Keep us posted!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 849
# 6
12-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxprime View Post
I believe the image you're working from is from the old Starfleet Technical Manual. Unfortunately, I think it's been regulated to the expanded universe. It's a pity too since they have a dreadnought with three nacelles in it as well.

Keep us posted on the progress!
Yep the image is from the Tech Manual which at the time of publishing was regarded as cannon, I am unsure if it has been regulated to expanded universe as the information used to compile it was lifted from the shows creators and designers as it was originally intended for use by the shows writers as a reference tool. They then released it to the general public when fans of the show started writing in asking questions and pointing out holes in the scripts.

As for the single nacelle design I think I remember a ship actually in the TOS, it was used to drop off an admiral or some other dignitary to the Enterprise, I will have to watch them again to try and find the episode.

The modelling project looks good, I have tried using AutoCAD myself and I didn't find it easy at all, I did have the idea of using it to recreate some of the Enterprise-D interiors based on the blueprints that were released.


SUPPORT THE FOUNDRY, YOUR GATEWAY TO NEW REGULAR CONTENT.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 7
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
Yep the image is from the Tech Manual which at the time of publishing was regarded as cannon, I am unsure if it has been regulated to expanded universe as the information used to compile it was lifted from the shows creators and designers as it was originally intended for use by the shows writers as a reference tool. They then released it to the general public when fans of the show started writing in asking questions and pointing out holes in the scripts.

As for the single nacelle design I think I remember a ship actually in the TOS, it was used to drop off an admiral or some other dignitary to the Enterprise, I will have to watch them again to try and find the episode.

The modelling project looks good, I have tried using AutoCAD myself and I didn't find it easy at all, I did have the idea of using it to recreate some of the Enterprise-D interiors based on the blueprints that were released.
CAD is a very nice tool, I use it primarily for work, as I'm an engi tech.
But yes, it's a lot to digest if your starting from scratch for sure, *but Autodesk has some great tutorials to follow, it really doesnt take much to bring you up to speed, it's basically just "MS Paint" on steroids, with an x/y/z grid. (If you're usng CAD3D).

If the design aspect interests you, I encourage you to try it out again. If you're artistic at all, you will immediatly see the countles possibilities.. And a trail version is a free download, pretty much with every tool you'd need (But when you print something there will be a Header on every print stating "Created by an Autodesk Product, Not for commercial use"
or something like that. but hey, Big deal...if its just for personal use, who cares.

What IS hard is "copying" some of the ship designs done by the pro Designers...Man are they ever good, I have such respect for them.. The crazy detail they bring to their models is mind boggling, and they're wizards using short cut commands in program. I really have a lot of respect for any graphics designers.
*I think pro designers use "3D Max" for game design tho...not sure - but it is similar to CAD with the x/y/z grid)

I have also heard, some Level/Environment design is done with CAD3D and then imported into 3DMax for texturing.

Will try and have the Hull and Nacelle in place by christmas. Just waiting for my vacation to start (got a month off) so I'll have plenty of free time to work on it.

*And if you dig up that TOS episode with the one nacelle ship, I'd be really interested to hear which one it appears in.*
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,077
# 8
12-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxprime View Post
I believe the image you're working from is from the old Starfleet Technical Manual. Unfortunately, I think it's been regulated to the expanded universe. It's a pity too since they have a dreadnought with three nacelles in it as well.

Keep us posted on the progress!
I have that book somewhere. And yes, I believe it was rendered uncanon.

Still a fun book though.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,482
# 9
12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Do you plan to try out making people after starships?
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 10
12-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
Do you plan to try out making people after starships?
You know, I hadn't thought of creating any character/people.. but it is possible for sure.
Right now I'd like to do a few of the more simple Starfleet ship designs as practice.
Scout, then Connie...then could try making a person.

but something tells me creating a person would be pretty hard;

Whereas the Connie and Scout are basically just manipulating circles, spheres, rectangles and squares.....
A "person" would have a pretty intense profle to follow. With odd concaves, buldging surfaces...
The face alone would be a challenge. *Just thinking of head slope, eye depth, nose protrusion..etc. Sounds pretty complicated.
But,
If i drew a Top/Side1/Side2/Front/Back/Bottom view in 2D, I could probably make a decent 3D rendering. Then "attach" the head onto a torso (would have to do the same with the torso top/side1/side2 etc) then for the waist/legs.

Thanks for the suggestion. That will be a cool follow up project.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:13 PM.