Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Captain
I hopped on tribble and did some testing with the protonic polaron beam arrays. On the surface it looks like a good mod--it gives a third option to phased polarons and polarized disruptors, and they are sourced in Tau Dewa (kinda) so it gives romulan sci their own flavor.

But the value of the proton strike is too low to be useful for anything. First it is only happening 25% of the crits. Second it only adds ~260 as extra damage, which is trivial when you are talking about crits that are 2k in strength (about 11%, even less when you get up to 3k crits). Conversely if you just bought a regular proton with a single [crtd] modifier, you'd get 100% of the crits upgraded by 20% (400 extra on a 2k, 600 extra on a 3k). TLDR: generic polaron [acc]x2 [crtd] yields better damage more often than protonic polaron [acc]x2

Even the graviton amp gives ~750 direct hull (3x as much), and it happens 3x as often.

Why so low?

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 11-30-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: corrected "generic polaron [acc]x2 [crtd]"
Career Officer
# 2
11-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, for starts, what's your damage resistance to Proton?

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I would have rather they just plain made them Protonic weaponry instead of protonic polaron.
The Emperor

Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds.
Captain
# 4
11-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
Plus the Proton Barrage ability is probably going to draw some screams already. No resistance, shield-bypassing, couple thousand damage base plus consoles. Add in buffs and debuffs and it might turn into a new form of Who Needs Subnuc?
Empire Veteran
# 5
11-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
I would have rather they just plain made them Protonic weaponry instead of protonic polaron.
^ Agreed. Or been some kind of alternate Phaser as we have very few.
Captain
# 6
11-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thissler View Post
250 points of damage with zero reistance is just 250.. You want it to be less? It hardly registers now
Empire Veteran
# 7
11-30-2013, 01:13 AM
It is worth noting that the proc also doesn't ever seem to crit.

Tried it with Mini the other day (he shot at me with some of these weapons) and it never seemed to crit.

Bad luck? Maybe, but it seems like it doesn't.

Career Officer
# 8
11-30-2013, 05:43 AM
I see you're missing this all around. Your first step would be to compare similar things. A 2k portion of a crit will deliver how much damage through a shield?

200 points. Subtract out resistance of say...30%. So that leaves 140.

140. Huh.

So anyway like some have touched on, this is a new flavor wep proc that does damage directly to the hull. They are adding more sources of this type of damage into the game. The only resistance I think you can find to slot vs this is off of the new Engineering consoles. And it is very effective against the Voth, the current 'enemy' of the Season.

So before you say 'well the crits do more damage blah blah blah' different builds do different things. You may not WANT all of these weapons on your ship. You may just go for turret procs on a cannon drain build. You may actually put all of these on your ship to get more on hull damage when you're fighting the Citadels.

And in PVP, if your CritH is over 15% you're going to see this proc about as often as you would see any other of the 2.5% weapon procs. And it's on hull and there's no real resistance. So if you were using this in conjunction with the other sources of Proton damage it could possibly be meaningful. Possibly.

I'd love to see this proc on someone that just popped the old Subspace Field Modulator.

Cheers happy flying and all.

EDIT: Yes and this is why it isn't just a Protonic Beam. You'd have to rework every weapon type in the game before you converted it to Protonic because if you didn't, you'd never need any other weapon in the game.

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
And...FACEBOOK MEH!

Last edited by thissler; 11-30-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Captain
# 9
11-30-2013, 07:53 AM
When was the last time Omega made a difference in anything? It usually shows up as the lowest contributor of my final damage in most parsing. And this does half that

Whats normal crth? Lets say 15% is normal, its not normal, its very high, but whatever.

Protonic Polaron [15% / 4 = 3.75]% of 250 proton direct to hull == 937.5 every 100 hits
Omega Graviton Amplifier 2.5% of 750 kinetic direct to hull == 1875 every 100 hits

Alright maybe the target has kinetic resists that give both attacks the same final damage. Who cares? Its still a trash buff that wont make any difference to anything.

Last edited by ursusmorologus; 11-30-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 10
11-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
polaron [acc]x2

Even the graviton amp gives ~750 direct hull (3x as much), and it happens 3x as often.
I'm not sure who brought that up. If you find em, punch them. It obviously has no relevance.

You need to brush up on your reading as I really don't see how to explain this to you any further than I have.

Cheers and good luck. I'm out.

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
And...FACEBOOK MEH!