Starfleet Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultijuice View Post
11-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I've checked the release notes and nothing. I've also made a thread in feedback and nothing, so I'll make a thread here and maybe I'll finally get some answers or discussion going.
Since the S7, its no longer possible for me to completely disable a subsystem of "larger enemies" (Neghvars, cubes, tac cubes, donatra, etc etc). Until the S7, target subsystem and power siphon was all I needed to get a 15-20 second window of no shields with a sensor scan on top of it so my team can do some damage. I usually threw a tyken's rift on top of it to prolongue this window but it wasnt necessary. And now? Not even the combined drain of these three abilities can do anything so now I'm basically useless because this was something I built my ship around.
Target shield subsystem I -30 points of shield power
Power siphon I -26,9 points of shield power
Tyken's rift II -10/sec or -10,5/sec if I wait for the power boost from siphon
I wouldn't make this thread If I found ANYTHING about this change in release notes, but since I have no idea why this happened, I'd like to hear something. Even just a theory from a fellow player since I doubt I'll get some official statement on this.
I found this on google, trying to find more information about this, seems hard to find threads...

Can anyone give me more information on this as a returning player, please?

I'm not exaggerating when I say I think this was one of the main reasons that I left the game; I joined when the game first started back in 2010 and later left after this particular, seemingly tight-fisted and thoughtless nerf that was put in place because of PVP players moaning a lot, without any consideration that a lot of people who like playing more socially actually found it fun... I sometimes think more games need to have a separation between powers doing different effects in PVE and PVP like City of Villains did really well...

as I was a science player that liked being able to solo things, but.. Yeah. Did they ever fix this and give Science captains any buff again? I found this thread on google too asking for the developers to, but it seems there was never any response: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=263921

Thanks for any help... I might just end up playing a tactical captain instead *sigh*
___
>:)
Captain
# 2
11-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Its pretty easy to completely disable a ship's shields by yourself now. There are a few things that will drain some power, and if you use multiples you can drain everything. A single Tyken's Rift will completely drain shields off most things short of a cube but you have to hold them in place with something else, like a TB or a GW. What sci doesnt have is a killing blow--you need to use weapons and/or damage consoles to kill them off after they are deshielded.
Captain
# 3
12-01-2013, 03:03 AM
I think the "nerf" that post is making reference to is the fact that Tykens Rift got broken right before Season 7. Both Gravity Well and Tykens Rift were fixed recently. It's a great time for science, but Tachyon Beam and Charged Particle Burst are still rather weak abilities.

Edit:
Run maximum auxiliary power on the science vessel. Toss on the Romulan Hyper Plasma Torpedo, the Dyson Gravimetric Photon Torpedo, and Nukara Web Mines with 3x Projectile Weapon officer. Use Gravity Well and/or Tykens Rift with a copy or two of Tractor Beam/w shield strip doff or Tractor Beam Repulsors/w Reverse repulse doff.

Last edited by majortiraomega; 12-01-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Captain
# 4
12-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Using ES3+TR2+Plasmonic Leech will disable a lot of NPCs. There is a Warp Core doff that disables one subsystem 25% of the time, but it's semi broken. You slot 3 and you still disable one subsystem 25% of the time. The Voth Palisade ship with its console (getting a buff, live on Tribble) is an excellent drain boat. You can get your flow caps up to about 330 if I'm not mistaken.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
12-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Nono this is way before season 7, around 2010/2011 I said ?

The nerf to shield draining I think was around the times of the science console nerf (when all science consoles were made less powerful and the good ones while "grandfathered" in originally but then turned into "prototype consoles" which had no 0 stat effects and could only be traded in for latinum)? It used to be that you could use stuff like target shield subsystems and it would actually work
___
>:)
Captain
# 6
12-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Science captains have been promised some sort of buff by getting a 2nd deflector. I assume it's going to be something similar to what cruisers got. Most of the Voth related stuff seems science centered.

I'm still waiting for the devs to fix the deflector officer doff. If they did I could have an energy siphon + Tyken's rift build that wouldn't require multiple copies of them.