Commander
# 1 Disable Visuals: Weapons
11-30-2013, 11:57 PM
As most of you know, on much of the equipment in STO, you have the option to disable the visuals if you would rather have the "stock" look. I wonder what you would think about having this same option for weapons?

I kind of have a set vision of Star Trek that I like to replicate in STO. To this end, my Feds have phaser weapons, my Klingon has disruptors and my Rom has plasma. Of the three, phasers have the least desirable proc effect but again, I like having my Fed ships firing phaser weapons.

I have just raised a new Sci/Fed, who is geared towards power drain. To compliment this build, I have gone with polaron weapons and I just do not like the look. I would love it if each ship's/character's faction's traditional weapon type could be shown instead by selecting disable visuals.

It would also be extremely helpful in allowing me to use antiproton weapons again without fear of losing my hearing.
Captain
# 2
12-01-2013, 02:33 AM
This would be something...where it only disabled the visual for the person disabling the visual, right? So you'd see Phasers while everybody else would see whatever it is?

What about others? Would it disable their visuals for you? So if somebody was flying a Fedboat, you would only see them using Phasers regardless of what they were using if you selected to disable the visuals?

"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Captain
# 3
12-01-2013, 02:53 AM
I recommend phased polarons if you don't already have them. Yeah they're still purple, but at least they sound like phasers.
Commander
# 4
12-01-2013, 03:48 AM
No, dumb idea, would confuse everybody. Just no
http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.htmlTeacher of friends, student of friends, I teach, I learn and united, we are unstoppable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutes View Post
Those fish are much like their masters, filthy backstabbers... All battlecloaked fish, waiting for the right moment...
Commander
# 5
12-01-2013, 07:53 AM
@virusdancer: It wouldn't be any different than how Disable Visuals currently works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisnom View Post
No, dumb idea, would confuse everybody. Just no
Could you elaborate on this a little? How would the appearance of my energy weapons affect others in any way? Except for maybe PvP and I'm sure anyone who does PvP regularly is capable of determining which proc effect is currently affecting them.

In fact, we have this going on right now on many different weapons. Is the player using plasma weapons, giving out plasma DoT or is the player using Romulan plasma, giving out plasma DoT and damage resistance debuff?

There's Phased Polaron, Phased Tetryon, Polarized Disruptor, Voth Antiproton and the list goes on of weapons that are doing more than just the graphical representation would indicate. So what if my "phasers" have the polaron proc effect?