Captain
# 11
12-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedacthunist View Post
Yes, an optional bigger saucer section would only help this ship. It's not like the Avenger doesn't look like a proper Fed ship. It does. It follows their traditional scheme - saucer+hull+two nacelles. What breaks this design is an awful lack of proportion between the parts.

Two additional saucer options, one more traditional Odyssey/Sovereign style and one more chevron-shaped, like Intrepid class, but bigger/longer, could be used to enchance its appearance.
If i had the choice to add two additional styles, i would create one Intrepid like Saucer and one like i have posted above, round or eliptic, more Galaxy like (wide and powerful looking). So we would have two quite different saucers to choose from, instead of just long and narrow ones.

My personal favs would be a Cochrane Class saucer and a Steamrunner like Saucer. What i really miss is essentially a wide and lofty styled (i hope thats the right expression) looking Saucer, there aren't many like that in STO. The Devs seem to favour narrow and strangely rounded saucers, sadly.
(i always think they look like tongues...)

-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-
T6 Guardian Class design / A 25th century Ambassador refit
Lieutenant
# 12
12-04-2013, 01:05 AM
The Avenger is crap. Especially since you can buy as a Fleet Ship. Don't waste your zen.
Lieutenant
# 13
12-04-2013, 01:06 AM
What do I want? A Monarch-class dreadnought. Weapons 5/4.
Captain
# 14
12-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by venarra View Post
What do I want? A Monarch-class dreadnought. Weapons 5/4.
You're in the wrong forum, buddy. We're talking about Avenger visuals.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 15
12-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I know many ppl dislike Perpeduals Excalibur class, but i think compared to the Avenger it is a real beauty. So i would like to propose to get this ship as additional and alternative ship model for the Avenger class.

The funny thing is that Perpeduals Excalibur class is already in the game. Some sector space combat maps (where you can fight Klingons or Borg) feature a destroyed excalibur class ship. So i think it wouldn't be a big problem for Cryptics devs to create some alternative Avenger ship parts that look like Perpeduals Excalibur class.
At least they wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Here some references:

Cryptics Avenger

Perpeduals Excalibur class

No matter what some ppl may say, i think this ship would make a excellent addition to the Avenger class, since even some proportions are similar, but much more balanced and pleasing for the eye.

The difference between that ship and Cryptics Avenger is that this one doesn't look especially good on screenshots, but as 3D model its almost beautfiful.
Cryptics avenger on the other hand can be used to create some nice screenshots, but the overall 3D model is rather ugly IMO. So i think both ships would perfectly complement each other.

Last edited by yreodred; 12-05-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Captain
# 16
12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Here some more Screens of the Excalibur, which is unused in STO.

I think with a bit of polish, this would be exactly what the Avenger ship model needs to be complete.

@Devs PLEASE

Captain
# 17
12-07-2013, 04:25 PM
^The nacelles are too short and scrawny for the elongated neck and saucer.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Lieutenant
# 18
12-07-2013, 04:37 PM
now that thing is ugly
Captain
# 19
12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
^The nacelles are too short and scrawny for the elongated neck and saucer.
At first i thought that too, but on the other hand the Galaxy and the intrepid also have short nacelles.

I think it could work as very different style, with neck and engineering hull blended into one unit. I am not saying it should be the new standard or something like that, but i like the different approach. At least it looks much more interesting than the Avenger IMO.

I certainly would use its saucer and maybe even the much wider pylons.
(and i certainly would experiment with the massive neck, lol i hop this doesn't get missunderstood.)

As i said, a good texture (hull material) and the ship would look much better. At least it would be a welcome change from the exaggerated streched look and egg shaped saucers we always get from cryptics designers.

Last edited by yreodred; 12-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 20
12-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I actually like the avenger model/frame. The only things I'm not a fan of are the black striping on the back bottom of the nacelles - that you can't color customize - and the cannons. The bright red 'tips' to the cannons make them look like toy guns - you know, the 'safety tipping' that most toy guns have to let people know that it isn't a real weapon?

For what the Avenger is - the model really works for me, though she looks a little bit too much like an Intrepid with the fleet pylons.