Career Officer
# 21
12-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Y'know usually I'd universally hate on the Exalibur, but looking at it and the Avenger...

I'd say that if the Excalibur had the Avenger's neck and nacelles, it might actually be kinda pretty.
Ensign
# 22
12-12-2013, 01:27 AM
I can't stand the neck on the Avenger. It's too high making the body look too large for the size of the saucer.

Personally I'd go with something like this:

Note that I cut it down to the edge of the saucer. Lowering the neck braces will make the hull not look so bulky, the saucer should then appear larger and more in place.
Captain
# 23
12-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleswn View Post
I can't stand the neck on the Avenger. It's too high making the body look too large for the size of the saucer.

Personally I'd go with something like this:

Note that I cut it down to the edge of the saucer. Lowering the neck braces will make the hull not look so bulky, the saucer should then appear larger and more in place.
Still looks like a duck IMO.

The only thing that could give that ship a bit dignity is to give it a bigger saucer (much bigger).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

Career Officer
# 24
12-12-2013, 07:40 AM
I quite liked Cryptic's version of the Excalibur, the one that you see as a derelict in some space maps. It wasn't perfect but the alterations made it look better than Perpetuals:

http://i.imgur.com/ovK44.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/22IDb.png
http://i.imgur.com/vRz8k.png
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook
Captain
# 25
12-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosov78 View Post
I quite liked Cryptic's version of the Excalibur, the one that you see as a derelict in some space maps. It wasn't perfect but the alterations made it look better than Perpetuals:

http://i.imgur.com/ovK44.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/22IDb.png
http://i.imgur.com/vRz8k.png
Indeed.

It's a shame that Cryptics Excalibur ship model can't be used actually.

I think Perpetual was planing some different ship system as Cryptic did in the end.
Some while ago i saw screenshots like the first one you posted, but with some Sovereign styled ship parts as well as Galaxy. So i believe that both ships where supposed to be the same just different appearances including the Excalibur.
What a nice idea to just merge both the Sovereign and Galaxy into one ship actually and only give them different ship parts and make them interchange.

I don't know if Cryptics ship tailor allows such extreme different ship shapes, but i think the Excalibur Model would be a good completion for the Avenger.
And let's be honest the Avengers appearance is one of the most dividing ships in STO. So i think Crypticd dves really should make us all a favour and spend the Avenger some additional ship parts.

I don't know if Cryptics ship model is actually better, but Perpetuals Excalibur didn't look as ugly as Cryptics Avenger.

I know it's not perfect, but i think this ship looks much better than that misshaped ugly thing Cryptic calls Avenger. The best thing would be to add it's ship part to the Avenger ship model so we would at least have some different looking parts to improve the Avenger.

Last edited by yreodred; 12-13-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Commander
# 26
12-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Honestly, the only thing I find hideous about the Avenger is that neck wall shield thing that extends from the saucer to the very aft tip of the stardrive section. It makes it look supersilly, and kills the look. The ship would otherwise be fine.
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
12-14-2013, 06:15 PM
And I'm just going to drop into the discussion here. I agree that the Avenger would really benefit from some more hull options, especially the saucer. Right now it simply doesn't have the level of combustibility we've come to expect from Cryptic (the Odyssey and Bortasqu' suffer the same fate, but that's a different topic).

Also, I've fired up my PS and created this beauty/monstrosity:

(please ignore my bad, bad Photoshop skills) (Also sorry i used the fleet version to all the people who like the upswept pylons more, but this was the only picture in a good angle to combine I could find)

While this is far from perfect, it does show how the Excalibur saucer would combine with the secondory hull of the Avenger. Those lines in the center of the saucer could potentionally flow well into the (current) split neck
Commander
# 28
12-14-2013, 07:32 PM
merge the assault cruiser's costume options with it

problem solved.

Also, don't start with turn rates, because basically all romulan endgame ships that aren't the Ha'pax.
More anything?
"MORE EVERYTHING!"
-Jerry Seinfeld on Star Trek Online Content

Foundry Works: Uncharted
Captain
# 29
12-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloace View Post
merge the assault cruiser's costume options with it

problem solved.

Also, don't start with turn rates, because basically all romulan endgame ships that aren't the Ha'pax.
Most Assault Crusier saucers (except the majestic which looks ugly in its own terms = egg shaped) are way to narrow and wouldn't add much of a difference to the Avenger IMO.

@cobaltfleet
Nice idea, i had something similar in mind.
It looks almost like the Luna Class. I wouldn't mind having such a saucher as alternative too, but a much wider one should be added also IMO.

@devs
I understand the idea behind the Avengers looks, muscular, bulky and sturdy.
But that narrow, almost tender looking saucer is killing it totally. What that ship needs is a saucer, similar like Perpetuals Excalibur has. Wide, massive, something that has "weight", which doesn't look like a unnecessary addition and like a foreign body.

Surely the front view makes it look like every other Cryptic made Starfleet ship, since the odyssey, but every other point of view looks ugly and totally unbalanced.
Don't get me wrong this doesn't make the ship more agressive looking, quite the difference. That fine, almost underdeveloped saucer make the ship look like a cartoon dog with a much too small head (so small the rest doesn't look strong and powerful anymore, just laughable).

Personally i don't get it, the devs immediately added some additional nacelles to it when some people where complaining about the fins on it (if that would have bee a probelm, compred to the rest of the ship). Obviously that wasn't much of a problem.

Adding some Saucer and other ship parts from other ships shouldn't be much of a problem IMHO. Perpetuals Excalibur ship model is already in game, i really don't understand why they didn't made it a alternative for the Avegner in the first place it's so obvious, i am almost out of words.

Career Officer
# 30
12-16-2013, 07:17 AM
I didn't much care for the Avenger's looks at first, but she grew on me.

Putting the pylons down helped. I feel like a BA Intrepid.
Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard

Last edited by kimmym; 12-16-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Too early, not enough coffee, a Defiant is not an Intrepid...