Lt. Commander
# 1 Why only one server?
01-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm still a fan. However, why is there only one server? did Cryptic intend to make this game fail?

Do they not understand that a single server is gonna fill up almost immediately and the other 90% of their subscribers are going to be highly upset and quit?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Well it's not like it is just one computer server, just a single shard with multiple instances you can transition too. Basically the same as Champions Online. That way you don't have to worry about your friends picking up the game then you all start playing on different shards for lack of communication.

Every current MMO "server" is actually a physical server farm running the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm aware of how the servers and networks work. However, this one single "realm" is beyond insane.. for it to be optimal, it needs to fill each "instance" to allow new players to enter. Otherwise one single server is going to be bottlenecking the entire system.

I do hope they take some of that money we all payed them and get some new server networks so we can actually play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 02:00 PM
No MMO in the world has a single server. You log onto a realm/shard etc that is a cluster made of many servers. The point of STO's architecture is that it in theory can scale to arbitrary sizes without a software change. If load increases they put more servers in, if load in the long term decreases they pull servers out. If an individual server goes down they pull it out and put in a new one without the server going down.

Current issues are software based but most of the users of this forum lack the knowledge to figure this out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
if you look at this page http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/star_trek_online when the game is onlinie only 1 of the game servers are online, why dont they stop messing around and bring all the servers on?

edit - they just turned another server on
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Server capacity for this game is manifestly inadequate. Cryptic rather understimated how popular this game would be it appears...and this is just the headstart crowd. How do they expect to handle the post launch traffic?
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk-Austin
Well it's not like it is just one computer server, just a single shard with multiple instances you can transition too. Basically the same as Champions Online. That way you don't have to worry about your friends picking up the game then you all start playing on different shards for lack of communication.

Every current MMO "server" is actually a physical server farm running the game.

They need to buy more animals for thier farm
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I think the way STO is designed it's just "one shard" or realm. They probably have a vast number of server/blades (whatever) running the whole thing.

My biggest complaint is that this is *pre-order* meaning you know how big your demand is ... so there is little to any excuse for "Oh we didn't know it was going to be this popular." It's simply bad execution on behalf of Cryptic. I suspect they probably needed more time during OpenBeta to stress test things more, because they obviously haven't figured it out yet and it's just days from launching.

What's going to be worse with launch is that you get an *unknown* number of subscribers ... so if the game is really popular this problem will be just that much more worse.
Lt. Commander
# 9
Uh... nowadays, a "server" can be an entire data center. It's just the way the word is used.
Lt. Commander
# 10
Consider too being pre-order they knew ahead of time how many people to expect ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
Server capacity for this game is manifestly inadequate. Cryptic rather understimated how popular this game would be it appears...and this is just the headstart crowd. How do they expect to handle the post launch traffic?