Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 01:15 PM
You're three weeks late to think that this is something that's crossing their mind now.

At this point they're like, "okay, looks like our optimizations weren't quite optimized enough."
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreya
Delaying the launch date will be hard, because it would be contractually very costly to do so.

Instead, what I expect is that it will launch retail on Tuesday and have a lot of downtime and rely on the people in the community to tell everyone to shut up and put up with it.
Exactly what is going to happen, heh. They are just hoping that not too much bad publicity is taken from the launch so that people will remain interested.

Maybe if they came out with info and what they are doing, people would be more inclined to wait rather than storming off in a fit.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNybble
<In a Cryptic Conference Room>

Ladies and Gentlemen, We have grossly underestimated the interest in Star Trek Online and will be unable to meet the demand on Tuesdays Launch day. It will be met with thousands of users being unable to play a game they paid for. We need to put a positive spin on this. Any Suggestions on how to polish this turd?

<opens the floor>
I'll give it a shot...

Well sir, we need to order more servers but it's going to cost us another 2 Mil. Right now our finances aren't sufficient. I called our bank rep and they are unwilling to loan us anymore money until we pay the 10 million loan we have outstanding. Right now funds from retail sales are starting to come in but we project it'll be another two weeks before we can do anything. I have operations working on decreasing the server load but it's not enough. In a month the subscription level will stabilize at a 60% retention. At that level, we'll only need half of the servers we do now. However, customer dissatisfaction may bring that number down to 40% retention.
Unfortunately the only option we have is to let them know we are aware of the problem and are working on it. Nothing else we can do.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Cryptic standard response: Just drop in the appropriate phrase (color coded for upper management)

Hey all (gamers, media, anyone we don't owe money to)/shareholders/loan sharks! We just want you to know that we value your input/money/not killing us and we are working as hard as possible to make the servers/dividends/your money available as soon as possible/within the first quarter/tomorrow, just don't start swinging those bats.

Thank you for your patience/not calling a shareholder meeting/letting us live as we gear up for what is going to be an exciting launch/ and profitable venture/ sure thing to get your money back.

The Mgmt.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
I'll give it a shot...

Well sir, we need to order more servers but it's going to cost us another 2 Mil. Right now our finances aren't sufficient. I called our bank rep and they are unwilling to loan us anymore money until we pay the 10 million loan we have outstanding. Right now funds from retail sales are starting to come in but we project it'll be another two weeks before we can do anything. I have operations working on decreasing the server load but it's not enough. In a month the subscription level will stabilize at a 60% retention. At that level, we'll only need half of the servers we do now. However, customer dissatisfaction may bring that number down to 40% retention.
Unfortunately the only option we have is to let them know we are aware of the problem and are working on it. Nothing else we can do.
Yikes!!! that may be spot on....and scary. People buy the game, quit because they get tired of downtime and the folks that are left play....Hmmm, I wonder what would have happened to Blizzard if they had said that about WOW???
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gul_Exo View Post
well by the looks of all the threads, i think quite a few have failed the stress test..epiclly
Finally! Someone understands what MMO makers mean when they say "Player Stress Test"
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 01:28 PM
[quote=Jack Atarius]Cryptic standard response: Just drop in the appropriate phrase (color coded for upper management)

I have to say I lol'ed