Captain
article/video link

Relatives informed me of this story. Since Amazon has one of their big warehouses not 40 miles from my home, I thought my family was trying to pull a fast one on me. Apparently, not so, and it looks like Amazon wants to bring to life a concept that sounds lifted out of sci-fi.

The second thought I had was that county out west (USA) that created a legal right to shoot down any drone that you could see in their county. Amazon drone delivery might not be available there.

Next was the thought of what would happen if one of the drones failed enroute, say over a person, or dropped in on a moving car's windshield, etc. Also how to know that person will be there in 30 minutes?

Last thought was that if this was successful, our skies are going to be thick with the competition. Ugh

Your thoughts?
Captain
# 2
12-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Only cool if you live 10 miles from one of their distribution centers. There are few methods of delivery that are cooler than this. I could actually see this being on Big Bang Theory next year and have them geeking out.
Captain
# 3
12-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Holy mother of god, the Jetsons was right this whole time.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 4
12-03-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm not gonna order a TV from them if that's how they're doing it.... O_O
Career Officer
# 5
12-03-2013, 03:09 AM
i have yodel and royal mail deliver amazon packages to the front door. a lot of bad things i hear and read about yodel. if amazon deliver their own services as fast as possible as soon as the order is in with these drones, then they could become even more popular because of the concept turned into reality with a better service. ofcourse we need to know the maximum flying range of these drones and what kind of toll it would put on the many people working under strict conditions within amazon warehouses.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Rihannsu
# 6
12-03-2013, 03:54 AM
I cant see the service taking off. (pun intended)

Yes the technology exists but the amount of issues are going to kill it.

what happens when they start hitting each other, or smacking into trees or power cables?

when next doors cat jumps on it and goes for a ride?

when a kid shoots it with their BB gun?

when they run out of power and land on someone, injuring them. or go through a window?

when it delivers it to the wrong address?

when it lands on your roof, or in your pool?

Basically how many things are going to go wrong before they realise its a gimmick.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission

Last edited by captainrevo1; 12-03-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
12-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
I cant see the service taking off. (pun intended)

Yes the technology exists but the amount of issues are going to kill it.

what happens when they start hitting each other, or smacking into trees or power cables?

when next doors cat jumps on it and goes for a ride?

when a kid shoots it with their BB gun?

when they run out of power and land on someone, injuring them. or go through a window?

when it delivers it to the wrong address?

when it lands on your roof, or in your pool?

Basically how many things are going to go wrong before they realise its a gimmick.
if it takes off but i was assuming a best case scenario. what will really happen like driverless cars is that the machinery will get confused by following gps and probably break down and catch fire trying to figure out what to do next.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
12-03-2013, 04:24 AM
Bezos blowing hot air and now PR trying to cover it. Their plan is illegal by FAA regulations (regulations which they clarified because of this story are not going anywhere because of most of captainrevo's questions). It's a liability nightmare that one of Amazon's lawyers told Slate no legal department would ever greenlight because of all those reasons.

That 2015 date isn't even a target: It's the most optimistic Bezos was about getting the FAA to listen to an appeal on the rule (they only recently ruled on a challenge to it, so any new attempt will just get rubber stamped with that decision), an appeal which he admitted will probably fail.

Remember the taco drones that made news a few months ago? Yeah, that got shut down. Not only was it illegal, but it dropped tacos all over the place during tests and just the health code fines were going to bankrupt them if they actually tried. That sushi burger place in London that used drone servers was going to either stop or limit it to a gimmick you paid extra for - the mess it was making cost more than the employee they got to lay off. And the Dominios domicopter was a publicity stunt - when the media started reporting that as fact, their answer was, "We may be crazy, but we're not crazy."
Career Officer
# 9
12-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
if it takes off but i was assuming a best case scenario. what will really happen like driverless cars is that the machinery will get confused by following gps and probably break down and catch fire trying to figure out what to do next.
So your basing this on the STO server?

It gets delivered in 30 minutes like a Domino's pizza?

So all you can really expect it to be is not what you ordered, cold, squashed and delivered 2 hours later at your neighbors house across the road who are away on holidays. =3
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Career Officer
# 10
12-03-2013, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdragon View Post
So your basing this on the STO server?

It gets delivered in 30 minutes like a Domino's pizza?

So all you can really expect it to be is not what you ordered, cold, squashed and delivered 2 hours later at your neighbors house across the road who are away on holidays. =3
sto server adds up numbers receives and sends packets of info through layers in a database, it has a fixed function which it was designed for. driverless cars and drones, not so much. typical technology, it starts off crude, reaches a sweet spot before long research goes overboard with too much of one thing. all im saying is that for now, a flying computer dropping stuff off needs a lot of research and significant testing, just like the old massive supercomputers used to use rolls of film working at nothing more then a few hertz, then cassettes came before the computer chip and then the computer chip and even this has been tested, we got multicore cpus, 4gb graphics cards, 1400 psu's. massive computer TFT monitors +50 inch... powerful network connections and so on.

one day drones flying about delivering stuff may happen, but i don't see such a thing coming for at least 2 decades.