Captain
What if, the entire Winter Wonderland is a big snowglobe, and at random times Q will flip it upside down. This causes the Wonderland to go upside down, making all the players, NPCs, and snow to float (to a player it would appear that you're falling slowly with the whole place upside down). Then after several seconds it goes right side up and everything returns to its normal position.

Or it could go on its side, which would throw the snowball piles around (interesting way to randomize snow pile locations, huh?), while NPCs hold onto something. If you've got, say, the main area's roof above you (can't remember the name of that building type thing) then when it flips upside down you would hit the roof and be able to walk around on it.

Silly, yes? Plausible, maybe?

(Don't get into an argument about it, this is meant to be entertaining... though it would be cool if it was implemented.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Career Officer
# 2
12-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately not very plausible.

Generally, objects that you're not supposed to be able to stand on top of don't have "solid" surfaces to stand on. Right now, if you were to somehow get to the roof of one of the buildings, chances are you'd fall through.

The entire map would have to be retrofitted to "seal" all of the holes in the map, and to texture surfaces that you previously wouldn't have been able to see, so they didn't bother.

This is why we can only use the floaters on the Risa Event map - it was specifically designed and "sealed." Any other map would have to be retrofitted, which would take...well, I don't know how long. But probably longer than they've got.
Captain
# 3
12-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffel82 View Post
Unfortunately not very plausible.

Generally, objects that you're not supposed to be able to stand on top of don't have "solid" surfaces to stand on. Right now, if you were to somehow get to the roof of one of the buildings, chances are you'd fall through.

The entire map would have to be retrofitted to "seal" all of the holes in the map, and to texture surfaces that you previously wouldn't have been able to see, so they didn't bother.

This is why we can only use the floaters on the Risa Event map - it was specifically designed and "sealed." Any other map would have to be retrofitted, which would take...well, I don't know how long. But probably longer than they've got.
As I recall the only covering besides rocks and the mountain was the building thing. Rocks are already solid, and I wouldn't think that the roof of the building would take long.

And come on, it's a fun thought, don't overthink it!
Quote:
Quote:
Career Officer
# 4
12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Oh the humanity!

Porthos is not amused.
Captain
# 5
12-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
What if, the entire Winter Wonderland is a big snowglobe, and at random times Q will flip it upside down. This causes the Wonderland to go upside down, making all the players, NPCs, and snow to float (to a player it would appear that you're falling slowly with the whole place upside down). Then after several seconds it goes right side up and everything returns to its normal position.

Or it could go on its side, which would throw the snowball piles around (interesting way to randomize snow pile locations, huh?), while NPCs hold onto something. If you've got, say, the main area's roof above you (can't remember the name of that building type thing) then when it flips upside down you would hit the roof and be able to walk around on it.

Silly, yes? Plausible, maybe?

(Don't get into an argument about it, this is meant to be entertaining... though it would be cool if it was implemented.)
Sure, that would be awesome! Halfway through the race... out of bounds. Imagine the poor slobs with 10 toons to do. Yeah, funny as a crutch.
This all happened... more, or less.
Captain
# 6
12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
Sure, that would be awesome! Halfway through the race... out of bounds. Imagine the poor slobs with 10 toons to do. Yeah, funny as a crutch.
Pause the race while this happens, idk? The snowglobe effect would be rare and not happening all the time.
Quote:
Quote:
Captain
# 7
12-04-2013, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Pause the race while this happens, idk? The snowglobe effect would be rare and not happening all the time.
Just pretend you're in a snow globe, Ace. If that's what you're into.
This all happened... more, or less.