Lt. Commander
# 1 Multiple targeting for ships
01-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Ok, a ship can have multiple weapons, but can only target one enemy at a time? I would think that a ship with two forward weapons and one rear weapon can target 3 enemies at the same time. otherwise, I imagine the rear weapon crews are kinda wondering why they can't fire at a enemy ship that's behind the ship but RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REAR WEAPONS??? C'mon, this is supposed to be the Future. Modern day naval vessels can engage and target as many enemy targets as they have weapons....
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdublade View Post
rear weapon crews
There's no forward, rear or side weapon crews. All weapons are controlled from a station on the bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Also they have bridge officer powers for this.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 03:06 PM
I tend to cycle through a few multiple targets myself. usually meaning that with my current Light Cruiser i start using smarter tactics.

Usually start off focusing fire on one target, then as their shields go down, i use another phaser bank on a seperate target, switch back to my original target, fire torps, locate another target if target dies to torps or reopen fire with phasers.

Easy to do, and takes almost no time. (At least for me)
Lt. Commander
# 5 Multiple targets
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Faith View Post
I tend to cycle through a few multiple targets myself. usually meaning that with my current Light Cruiser i start using smarter tactics.

Usually start off focusing fire on one target, then as their shields go down, i use another phaser bank on a seperate target, switch back to my original target, fire torps, locate another target if target dies to torps or reopen fire with phasers.

Easy to do, and takes almost no time. (At least for me)
As I play more, the feel of the ships are more like fighters rather than ships of the line. Consider: a fighter has all or most of its weapons pointed forward, you have to aim the craft to aim your weapons. In a ship, the big weapons are usually mounted on turrets, and each turret has the capacity for indepent target acquisition and fire response (or the bridge can order all weapons to fire on the same target for maximum effect). On a ship, you aim the weapons, not the ship. These ships, with fixed weapon arcs, are more like pre-Dreadnought style sea vessels.

I would like to see, besides auto-fire, perhaps "independant" fire = a ship weapon can fire at the closest target in it's target arc. Would make the rear firing weapons more useful as a defense weapon, rather than having to wait for the ship to get a broadside angle on a target. Especially if you're being harried by those pesky shuttle/fighters and photon mines/slow moving torps....

Course, I'd be happier if I can set each weapon to different targets, and let them have fun on auto-fire.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdublade View Post
Ok, a ship can have multiple weapons, but can only target one enemy at a time? I would think that a ship with two forward weapons and one rear weapon can target 3 enemies at the same time. otherwise, I imagine the rear weapon crews are kinda wondering why they can't fire at a enemy ship that's behind the ship but RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REAR WEAPONS??? C'mon, this is supposed to be the Future. Modern day naval vessels can engage and target as many enemy targets as they have weapons....
I think allot of it has to do with power distribution. Its incredibly expensive for yoru Phasers to drain off on multiple apponents shields. less effective in teh long run unless you want to get someoens attention
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
With a little help of nimble fingers you can do this. Let's say you have four phaser mounts. Set the forward left and rear left to auto-fire on target. Bind forward right and rear right to keys 1-2. Target enemy on your left and fire the green auto-marked guns. Then target the enemy to your right and press 1-2 contiunously to fire on that enemy. This is just an example
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 02:04 PM
dont really know why you would want to do mediocre damage against everyone instead of kill one off the bat and move on the most powerful phasers aint gonna do crap without something else hitting with it wait till you get to higher tiers then you would understand why better perhaps.

also this is a great way to get alpha'd
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUE_The6BillionKgMan
Also they have bridge officer powers for this.
Fire at will is one I can think of off hand that works. But that is just for beam weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Mdublade

I think i can answer your question about multiple targeting of ships. Eventhough it is in the future the small cruisers only have one FCS (fire control system). that means only one person or bridge officer is controling the weapon systems on board the ship. As for the next question you asked or another on the thread about how rear arc weapons cant hit ships forward. To cure that problem for those with any naval background space combat is based off that. So, you turn your ship broadside (or sideways) towards your enemy letting you get all your weapons arcs in firing position. I pay attention to the shields as they appear to be dropping i turn bac towards the enemy ship and launch my torpedoes.

Hope this helps.

fullmetaljacket