Commander
# 1 Phased Polaron Weapons
12-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Is that the preferred weaponry now?
I see them posted in the exchange for large amounts of EC's.

My regular polaron stuff seems to be working just fine. Is it worth the cost to upgrade?
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
12-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Phased Polarons?

They been around a while, and they are good. However, they have 2 procs as opposed to your 1, if you are using Regular Polarons.

Basically would you prefer to have the 5% chance to proc with your existing weapon or have 2 half-procs... 2.5% each? I have some questions about how the proc chance is calculated... that is why I don't usually mess with 2-proc weapons. It says that there is a 2.5% chance for each, but...

* Each time a weapon is fired, is there a separate "roll" for the chance of each proc to fire off?
* If not, is there a single roll for each weapon and if the weapon procs, then a roll is determined which proc fires... or both?

Seems to me you are lessening your chance to proc in the hope that you "roll" good enough for both to fire off. I don't dig too deep into the number crunching behind the scenes, but that is how I am understanding this.

If you want a 2-proc weapon and don't want to spend your resources on them, replay the mission "Boldly They Rode" and select the Dominion Polaron weapons. Personally I would recommend the Beams... they make excellent Beam Boat weapons.
P r o j e c tP h o e n i x

Last edited by ixionveridian; 12-05-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Captain
# 3
12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Phased polaron weapons are in general terms, great. But, as happens with any other weapon, they are more effective or less effective against specific targets.

In the end, you cant just use only 1 or 2 weapons, u will need to have 5 or 6 stucked on the inventory to switch.
Commander
# 4
12-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
Phased polaron weapons are in general terms, great. But, as happens with any other weapon, they are more effective or less effective against specific targets.

In the end, you cant just use only 1 or 2 weapons, u will need to have 5 or 6 stucked on the inventory to switch.
That is a pain.
But I guess that's how it is in MMO's.
Career Officer
# 5
12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I can't speak for space but I think my feeling would apply:

Swapping out the potential for an additional modifier (Very Rare Purple) For the chance of an additional proc I think, in general is not a good swap.

For ground weapons, hybrid weapons in-general trade a third modifer for a second proc at double the rate. In the case of Nanite Disruptors, you get a second proc at half effectiveness but you keep the third modifier (hence why they are my preferred weapon)

On ground, Crit is King, so I am not usually one to prefer hybrids. However, if you have crap gear, they are GREAT. If you have simply rare (blue) weapons, they are certainly an upgrade imho.
Captain
# 6
12-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Polarized disruptors when paying mind to flow caps is the way to go. For bought hybrids anyway.

Rom plasmas are still tops for damage
------------------------------------------------------
I know alot about a little and a little about alot
Commander
# 7
12-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
Polarized disruptors when paying mind to flow caps is the way to go. For bought hybrids anyway.

Rom plasmas are still tops for damage
Ok, I could have sworn I read that plasma weapon, in space anyway, were pretty much useless because darn near everything was resistant to it.
Captain
# 8
12-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtolomus View Post
Ok, I could have sworn I read that plasma weapon, in space anyway, were pretty much useless because darn near everything was resistant to it.
First rule of STO: Everything Changes.

Plasma was bad in 2010, but as the introduction of LoR it rocked.

Romulan plasma produces the most damage, and has the greatest number of consoles to improve said damage. Check the consoles available from your Romulan Embassy.

Phase Polarons are also very nice, primarily due to the cost. They are cheap compared to everything else.
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com

Last edited by ddesjardins; 12-05-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Commander
# 9
12-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Uh, ok yeah borg stf's have plasma resists, not sure about other, maybe, but considering there is: the romulan 2-piece set (+7% dmg) the embassy consoles (+9% dmg per console, also adds proc damage which is very nice) and then plasma infusers mk xii VR (30% damage per console) if you add it all up and add the assim console too for some crit chance and severity, with a APB3 FAW3 scimitar, you're gonna be doing some serious hull creaming, regardless of your enemy having resists and or shields, as APB takes down resists, and if you are tactical you can also take down a little more resist. It is a severely damaging setup (to your enemy) in a 1v1. You should get the -Th embassy consoles though as with that build you're gonna be attracting a lot of unwanted attention.
http://s286.photobucket.com/user/parasite_12000/media/jub_zps9318ae82.jpg.htmlTeacher of friends, student of friends, I teach, I learn and united, we are unstoppable.
Commander
# 10
12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Using both types on different chars, the phased polaron as well as normal polaron are very powerful, and the most underestimated ones ingame. If you already have Polaron, the swap wont sell off, because a CrtH/D-Modifier is worth more than the phaserproc.

That aside, those weapons are expensive, because they are rare now, as the current lockbox isnt the JemHadar-Box
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS