Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
WHEN you get to play the game then it's great. I love it.

Just getting to play it at all seems to be an issue for most people. Open beta keys not available, extended downtime, Steam making people re-download the game each time, the servers being full etc.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
There is always someone willing to take home the fat chick at the end of the night.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Excellent, you have a point, int he rare up-time, this game is pehnominal; even if it is rarer than a blue moon itself. Perhaps however, you dont work as much as the most of us.. I mean, i work 'alot' and i love to get home from work with a cuppa and kick back and play - Unfortunatly Cryptic don't like the idea. Since the headstart i've managed about 45 mins of gameplay. D'oh.

In addition, now they've implmented whatever since earlier today, i can play for more than 5 minutes without my game lagging so tremendously i literally cant play, flickering around the place 5 minutes after i try to move. Excellent.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart
...who's happy? Maybe my expectations were more realistic, or maybe I just don't feel like being upset about a normal MMO launch.

Somehow with all the downtime I have still managed to log 12-15 hours of play and am having a ball. Sure there are issues but I have things to do when the server is down, and I would totally buy the lifetime sub again knowing what I know now.

I'm sorry so many people are upset and youc an flame me as a fangirl, but I'm not saying the game is perfect, but I am having fun and your flames can't change that :-)

I'm enjoying it. I didn't expect 100% uptime for Headstart, nor do I expect perfect server reliability... it's just like pretty much any other MMO launch "week" lots of crashes, some extra maintenance, etc.

I'm looking forward to getting my retail key on Tuesday so I can "seriously" start to play (I've unlocked Klingons so far and have been messing around on that side waiting till I get my pre-order goodies).

I'm also not sorry I purchased my Life-Time Sub.. as I expect that once the Dev's get a few wrinkles ironed out, play will be much smoother.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm perfectly happy. The only problems I've encountered are very minor ones.
Lt. Commander
# 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabonam View Post
WHEN you get to play the game then it's great. I love it.

Just getting to play it at all seems to be an issue for most people. Open beta keys not available, extended downtime, Steam making people re-download the game each time, the servers being full etc.

Steam making people re-download is not Cryptic's fault.. Blame Steam for Steam's problems, not Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 17
Queues are serious damn business.

No doubt at some point they'll work on capacity and work out the relatively new queuing system. No big rush here from me.

Still, it's a good time when you see people get all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi8LJt-8zqg

It's golden. Enjoy it while you can.

-Dragon
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Well I think it's a good thing for sure, that there is too many people, but it's a bad thing if cryptic doesnt resolve the issue quickly, People dont want to see thier 30 days free play vannish with very little play time because of high server traffic.

Another frustrating issue it seems is that The instancing architect is limited, I joined PvP only to get forced out after completion because i left the zone to PvP so to speak, and when transfering back well...that zone and all its instances were full so i got logged out.

Again this is a mixed bag, good there is so much interest in the game, Bad that Cryptic is unable to do the quick fix, Who ever marketed this game SHOULD BARE total responsability, You have countless stores offering the game, now these retailers may or may not be required to inform the publisher how many pre-orders they have sold due to the fact they can be cancled anytime before the launch date. So it would be Hard for Cryptic to gauge what they were going to need for the game at launch... but if CO had any of these same issue's then they were fool enough to not be prepaired for something larger in a solid IP like ST.

I'm still not sold on this One server thing... As now those on east cost automaticly have a higher ping due to distance, even more so over sea's, and you have this bottleneck issue. Tho in the past we have seen other companies have 14 servers at launch to having to cut them down to a lot less due to player base dispersal. Maybe Cryptic tried to play it safe and not have the ghost town effect ne a massive problem like *** and WoWhammer online....

At any rate, I'm in for the long hual, i love the game, but this is just how i see it right now.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
i'm exceptionally happy.

i've put in close to 20 hours so far, had a lot of the downtime problem hit me too but i just waited and watched star trek

no MMO has 100% uptime, its an actual impossibility, and there will be days when people cant connect at all when others can. thats why the EULA states cryptic cant be held liable for downtime or being unable to connect (as do all MMO's)

i'm just gonna carry on doing my thing and enjoying the game, if people want to hate on it for whatever reason, let them. once they get bored and leave life will be a little brighter
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 02:11 PM
It's hard to be happy, as I have certain windows when I can play and it's been down for a lot of them. That being said, I'm not particularly surprised or outraged. I am a little disappointed, though.