Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok its was beta, ok it was headstart ok you needed new hardware ok it was so called "overwhelming" rush BUT from what we experience here it may be the time to reconsider if you are really capable of running a one and only shard game?

I only know a few games which are running smoothly with 1 shard. To be honest i just knew EVE when it comes to a game with reasonable costumers.

AO was also one of them but has added more shards over time.

It is difficult, you need experience, good hardware and a capable soft and hardware. I think you lack at least in one or more of these points.

Its a shiny little badge yeah to come out with a one shard only strategy, ppl will mention it the press will talk about it BUT you failed great until now.

I was on AO start its was bad but not that bad. Zones crashed but the servers doesnt went down for hours day after day. EVE was also a rough beta and start. But NEVER this awful.

Every game launch is a pain but if there are major issues maybe you should reconsider your 1 shard for all strategy even if it would be cool. This here is NOT cool at all ...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
this is starting to feel a lot like ww2online, which probably had the worst launch in the history of games.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
I tend to agree the one shard strategy seemed very cool but the implementation of it has been far from stellar. I don't know if they will decide to open up a new server or just make a run for it and figure that the box sales are just cash money so oh well...I hope you don't fail sto, I have faith in you
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooooooar View Post
this is starting to feel a lot like ww2online, which probably had the worst launch in the history of games.
I thought Dark and Light had the worst launch in the history of games?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Saturday evening (GMT) when US maintime starts = crash
Sunday evening (GMT) when US maintime starts = crash
Monday evening (GMT) when US maintime starts = crash

The only times this game is some kind of worth to play is in the "low" time when europe and US sleeps or works then you have nearly no lag and no DC.

Everything else is just pain in the ass.

So now its one day later could you pls see now that your whole one server for all idea is just crap?

Do you have a plan to fix this? Then tell us about NOW. Are you clueless how to handle the problem? Fine with me but then RECONSIDER your idea quickly. It'ss getting annoying and ridicolous here expect the few hardcore fanboys maybe ...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
1 shard works with crappy games no one cares about like Champions Online but big name stuff, Star Wars, Star Trek, World of ********.. 1 shard doesnt cut it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooooooar View Post
Woah woah woah. Not nearly that bad.

Worse than PotBS, but better than ***. Definitely better than WW2O.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrNightfire
1 shard works with crappy games no one cares about like Champions Online but big name stuff, Star Wars, Star Trek, World of ********.. 1 shard doesnt cut it.
If by Star Wars you mean Star Wars Galaxies, I'm pretty sure one shard could handle its 200 players if they hired real programmers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanton
I thought Dark and Light had the worst launch in the history of games?
completely agree... thank you that's the name of the game where you could not do ANYTHING when released... crash about 10 times before you got 5ft...
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Here is an good play, If you guys spot a problem with the Main server, Give us a 15 min warning and then initiate a back up server, that we can still play. Then just upload the memory of EP gains and what not to the main server when its ready to come back, This way you guys can do your maintenence and we can play, Everyone is happy (btw dont give me a lecture about any problems you guys think about, this plan is in Alpha Testing so expect it to be crap )