Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
How exactly have they failed?

The servers run smooth as silk almost all day. When the US guys come on, it shows soem strain, but to give cryptic credit, they drop the server, fix it, and it works fine after that. Every single day the servers get more and more stable.

And to use the old and tired, but still very relevant phrase, every mmo has problems like these at launch. EVERYONE. It takes time to get the server adjusted to the right specs to deal with the server load.

But why am i explaining this to you. You're obviously unaware of how a program/servers are designed and maintained, and just have a "me me me" attitude.

If you want a terrible MMO launch WoW and SWG spring to mind.

WoW was basically unplayable for weeks after launch. If it wasnt for server crashes, obscene amounts of lag, loot lag, or the fact the game would crash when you opened your inventory, it was the inability of blizzard to fix it for days.

One server, archimonde, was down for 3 days because blizzard had no clue what to do.

Lets not forget they actually withdrew the game from sale, because the game was that broken on elease they didnt want bad press.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encima View Post
If by Star Wars you mean Star Wars Galaxies, I'm pretty sure one shard could handle its 200 players if they hired real programmers.
Star Wars was killed by SOE - everybody knows no need to talk the 12341th time about it.

On release it has several shards and i can really good remember that there were some shards which went up and down in the first 2-3 days cause they were the "main" servers with a lot of people.

BUT never was it the same server every night for hours. And NEVER was the whole damn game down for hours cause there were always at least 10 shards or so online.

There is one big title out there with 1 shard, EVE but it was a long way for them to get there and they never started out like STO with such a crappy server performance.

To bad Cryptic is not that "open" cause it would be interesting to know if they have a plan to solve this or even an idea or not.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Lets not forget they actually withdrew the game from sale, because the game was that broken on elease they didnt want bad press.

Lets not forget that it is only wise to do so. Sadly everything is rushed these days and people are fool enough to accept beta as a release. Is it our duty to provide our money to companies worldwide that rush their products out in unfinished state. Just because they gave an excuse called patching these days.

I would also say that EVE is prime example how single server game population should be placed in the world and also how it should work.. Say Jita may go down but all the other systems are still running perfectly. That is the way things should be. Not that good in launch naturally but going there.

Sadly all these companies want to shine in their own ingenious ways to handle servers and how they should build their clusters etc. If only they would be willing to ask each other and willing to give advice the gamin would be much greater these days.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
How exactly have they failed?

The servers run smooth as silk almost all day. When the US guys come on, it shows soem strain, but to give cryptic credit, they drop the server, fix it, and it works fine after that. Every single day the servers get more and more stable.

And to use the old and tired, but still very relevant phrase, every mmo has problems like these at launch. EVERYONE. It takes time to get the server adjusted to the right specs to deal with the server load.

But why am i explaining this to you. You're obviously unaware of how a program/servers are designed and maintained, and just have a "me me me" attitude.

If you want a terrible MMO launch WoW and SWG spring to mind.

WoW was basically unplayable for weeks after launch. If it wasnt for server crashes, obscene amounts of lag, loot lag, or the fact the game would crash when you opened your inventory, it was the inability of blizzard to fix it for days.

One server, archimonde, was down for 3 days because blizzard had no clue what to do.

lol Thank you for your fanatic fanboy response. I'm fine with people who want to tell me that this game rocks but to say the server are "run smooth and silk" shows me that you lost the view for reality.

Yeah its so smooth that it is down again tonight, that much better then yesterday, cause why? I am sure you'll find some stupid argument for yourself and if not its cause its just headstart, right?

Sorry first people like you annoy me but then i am feeling poor for you cause you love your game so much that you are not even able to discuss the obvious flaws. Keep your smooth and silk game in the state it is at the moment with this "rapid speed" in advancement and yeah not much people will stay after their first free month.

Nothing is won for you and for people like me when STO fails cause of crappy server strategy and the game vanishs after 1,5 years ...
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encima View Post
If by Star Wars you mean Star Wars Galaxies, I'm pretty sure one shard could handle its 200 players if they hired real programmers.

yeh since they ruined it with the crappy NGE they have more csr's than subs but in the days of pre-cu there
was about 20 servers & 2 million subs.
Point is all good games regardless of 1, 2 or 20 million subs should have multiple servers.

WHO CARES whether its a 1 server game!? i don't since its making gaming almost impossible!

1 hour on 2 hours off... load time.... crash.... rinse & repeat

For me if a game has 1 server it says either...
1. it's makers have low expectations for it's sucess & expect it to be a low population game
(which makes me question the whole project)
2. They are just stupid or to damn mean to buy a bigger/better servers (or more of them).
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaPel
Say Jita may go down but all the other systems are still running perfectly. That is the way things should be. Not that good in launch naturally but going there.
Good point. Something i just wrong how the server crashs in STO. Its alway a whole *woom* and everything is down, even account and login servers. Thats not the state of the art and especially not for one shard games. They need to improve that or change their one shard strategy,
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrNightfire
1 shard works with crappy games no one cares about like Champions Online but big name stuff, Star Wars, Star Trek, World of ********.. 1 shard doesnt cut it.
Really? Eve Online got it right from launch day forward with one server.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnYaBad View Post
Really? Eve Online got it right from launch day forward with one server.
Well the thing is EVE has one of the most powerful servers in the world, its well renowned.

I think cryptic should of took note of that before gimping the game
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanton
I thought Dark and Light had the worst launch in the history of games?
Worse than C drive deleted, if you launched the game without the first patch? WW2OL
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forze View Post
Well the thing is EVE has one of the most powerful servers in the world, its well renowned.

I think cryptic should of took note of that before gimping the game
Yes i fear the same. EVE has a really strong server and a perfect crew i would say which learned a lot over the years. They didn't start with 50000 players on one shard at the same time, they grew and learned a lot.

And i have the fear cryptic is not even near to be able to host a one shard. Hope they have an idea or accept this really soon.