Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Hm... you guys just haven't been around for enough games at launch time I guess? The tech is stable and has been demonstrated in the past, give it a few months and it'll be good.

They're launching a beta, it happens.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnYaBad View Post
Really? Eve Online got it right from launch day forward with one server.
One server? Hardly. CCP's server cluster is probably one of the more complex server farms out there. They have networking tech that is unique only to CCP so that the cluster can reduce overhead of having all these users constantly being handed off from one server to another. Hell, I have a pretty big interest in network programming, and some of the stuff they've figured out would need to be explained to me in a seminar or the like before I could even think about duplicating it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Any application designed to accept all input, output and processing through one system is inherently flawed, because any single anomaly, fatal error or spike in demand will cripple input, output and processing for the entire system.

Mitigating the severity across several independent systems means that should one system fail, in most instances all others continue to operate without impact.

Clustering is terrific! But it is not even acceptable in certain areas of computing. We're witnessing one of those situations.

Solution

Preface
- All shards are available to all subscribers... period.
- All "characters slots" can be relocated to a different server for free one time annually, C-Store for later transfers.
- All servers work off of the exact same core mechanics... one code trunk.
- All loot tables operate exactly the same, and "equipped" loots can transfer with character slot (bank items cannot).
- Commissioned BO's can transfer with characters slot (non-comms cannot).
- All ships can transfer with character slot.
- All non-inventory currencies can transfer with character slot.

Shards
Alpha - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Beta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Gamma - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime
Delta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime

Balancing
Casual - Exactly the combat balancing we have now... sans bug fixes... plus auto-fire for all weapons and no death penalty AND a difficulty slider.
Realistic - Difficulty closer to the start of open beta... with bug fixes... plus death penalty as it was designed from the start - NO difficulty slider.

Everything else remains the same about the two versions.

Result
- Entire subscriber base is not denied access when the server goes down... period.
- People who like a challenge can play with people who like to be challenged.
- People who want a more relaxing game experience can play with people who want a more relaxing game experience.
- One group cannot make the other group's gameplay experience less fulfilling... more happy players makes more subscribers and of course... MORE HAPPY!
- You can play on any server... if you are incapable of coordinating a server with your fleet, how can you possibly coordinate anything?
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marariella View Post
On release it has several shards and i can really good remember that there were some shards which went up and down in the first 2-3 days cause they were the "main" servers with a lot of people.

BUT never was it the same server every night for hours. And NEVER was the whole damn game down for hours cause there were always at least 10 shards or so online.

You know.. thats.. quite.. funny.. considering SWG had DAILY server downs of ATLEAST 1 hour EVER single day for OVER a YEAR.. usually from 13-15 gmt+1

just bread for thought
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryston View Post
Hm... you guys just haven't been around for enough games at launch time I guess? The tech is stable and has been demonstrated in the past, give it a few months and it'll be good.

They're launching a beta, it happens.
I think people like you haven't been to enough launches. I started playing UO in 1999 and since then i have seen the launch of maybe 20 games but nearly as much failed over the first few month and some of them vanished completly.

And it is NOT so that this here is usual. Bugs are usual. Downtimes are usual. Lag is usua÷. Lack of CS is usual BUT here seems something unusual.

AO has a one shard start for example which was so unbelievable rough. I think no one would accept this these days but for example their were zones crashing. Not always the whole server. And it was very often not only the numbers of people logging in which caused the same crash every night. Besides that the team was much more "open" and seem to have an idea what to do.

I doubt that at the moment cause there is so much silence on the obvious issues.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesJ View Post
You know.. thats.. quite.. funny.. considering SWG had DAILY server downs of ATLEAST 1 hour EVER single day for OVER a YEAR.. usually from 13-15 gmt+1

just bread for thought
I don't know how it is about you but i could live with daily server downtimes if the server runs smooth.

By the way you should also mention that it were sheduled downtimes that there were 2 downtimes one for european servers and another one for US servers and that nearly every other game with reasonable subs in this time had also daily or weekly shedules downtimes.

BTW i never want to say that SWG ruled in server stability all i had to say is that it release never was such an embrassing pain in the ass as STO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesJ View Post

just bread for thought
If I recall those were "system maintanence " outages that occured during "off hours"(like 4 - 6AM EST)
I always thought SOE was backing the system up during those times(which is a good thing). Those outages still occured even into the NEG but it was once every 2 days.

Sucks if your in EU and cant play right after school, but who cares. :p
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
Any application designed to accept all input, output and processing through one system is inherently flawed, because any single anomaly, fatal error or spike in demand will cripple input, output and processing for the entire system.

Mitigating the severity across several independent systems means that should one system fail, in most instances all others continue to operate without impact.

Clustering is terrific! But it is not even acceptable in certain areas of computing. We're witnessing one of those situations.

Solution

Preface
- All shards are available to all subscribers... period.
- All "characters slots" can be relocated to a different server for free one time annually, C-Store for later transfers.
- All servers work off of the exact same core mechanics... one code trunk.
- All loot tables operate exactly the same, and "equipped" loots can transfer with character slot (bank items cannot).
- Commissioned BO's can transfer with characters slot (non-comms cannot).
- All ships can transfer with character slot.
- All non-inventory currencies can transfer with character slot.

Shards
Alpha - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Beta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Gamma - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime
Delta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime

Balancing
Casual - Exactly the combat balancing we have now... sans bug fixes... plus auto-fire for all weapons and no death penalty AND a difficulty slider.
Realistic - Difficulty closer to the start of open beta... with bug fixes... plus death penalty as it was designed from the start - NO difficulty slider.

Everything else remains the same about the two versions.

Result
- Entire subscriber base is not denied access when the server goes down... period.
- People who like a challenge can play with people who like to be challenged.
- People who want a more relaxing game experience can play with people who want a more relaxing game experience.
- One group cannot make the other group's gameplay experience less fulfilling... more happy players makes more subscribers and of course... MORE HAPPY!
- You can play on any server... if you are incapable of coordinating a server with your fleet, how can you possibly coordinate anything?
Best idea i heard about yet! *gratz on that*
Lt. Commander
# 29 the state of things
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I think the game should be renamed to Star Trek OFFline as it has been down more than it has been up. one shard = Fail, plain and simple 3 shard = Good use this strategy when updating your system. but as a side note last night was the best I have seen it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Okai lets compare.. the first month of SWG which you used as a comparison base.. often downtimes of up to 8-10 hours (unscheduled) vs.. 3 days of PRE release with 2 hours unexpected downtime (though there WILL be more, such is the way of optimizing hardware and software for more and more users).. hmm..
and yes SWG's server downtime was scheduled when they got them running FAIRLY well.. but scheduled or not daily downtimes for over a year is hilarious by any standard