Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Career Officer
This is a follow-up post from a thread I started in the Foundry section ( http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=943451 ). Unfortunately pictures aren't able to be posted there, so I am cross-posting here to show the graphics.

Currently we have a very nice starting point for the Foundry when the 'Content/Hail' button is pressed on the mini-map. Shown here:

Sadly, it becomes a mess after that. You are dumped right onto the "Spotlight" missions list with a small "Browse all" button hidden along the side of the window to get to other missions. If you find this button, you are then taken to a extremely limited list of only the top 50 rated missions out of 1000's that are available.

This is my solution to the problem. After pressing the "More" button in the above window, you would be taken here:

Oops...how did that get in there...

What I meant was this:

This would allow a player to easily select any category they wished. Or even do a custom search right from the start (with out the need to find this 'hidden' feature).

(continued)
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371

Last edited by captainhunter1; 12-05-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Career Officer
# 2
12-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Clicking on the hail buttons would then take you to the mission listings for that category. For example this is the one for the Spotlight missions. NOTE: Notice the promenent "Next 50 missions" button at the bottom (if the lists stay restricted to 50 missions being shown at a time - allowing a player to cycle through as many pages of missions as he/she desires.)

Implementing this new "gateway" interface as well as removing the 'weighting' system will really open up the Foundry to a lot more plays.

Further integrating the Foundry into regular Sector Space play would also be a huge benefit to the game - effectively adding massive amounts of free content throughout the Galaxy for Cryptic. It would be as simple as adding an additional button to the System window, as shown below:

Clicking the "Investigate Other Available Missions" button would open up a list of all Foundry missions which used that system as a starting point.

This would also allow for us to get rid of this annoying message at the border to Deep Space areas:

And replace it with the following, opening up Deep Space for exploration by using Foundry missions (although a "Deep Space" starting point tag would have to be added for missions).

I think this is a simple and elegant solution to the issues currently crippling the Foundry. It would certainly open up access a great deal and give every mission a chance to see the light of day. : )
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371

Last edited by captainhunter1; 12-07-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Career Officer
# 3
12-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I like the idea to automatically separate the missions by the new tags essentially. But are you suggesting that the new jj Abrams movies are combat missions with little to no story?
Captain
# 4
12-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Fabulous idea. MAKE IT SO, CRYPTIC!
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
# 5
12-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Also, I've already got a mission in the works that could make use of the "Deep Space" starting point. "Bait and Switch, Part II" takes place west of the Sirius block, south of Ferengi space and north of Deep Space 9. Right now I have the player transwarping there from ESD. With a Deep Space starting point I could instead have them travel there from Orellius or something.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Career Officer
# 6
12-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
Also, I've already got a mission in the works that could make use of the "Deep Space" starting point. "Bait and Switch, Part II" takes place west of the Sirius block, south of Ferengi space and north of Deep Space 9. Right now I have the player transwarping there from ESD. With a Deep Space starting point I could instead have them travel there from Orellius or something.
I envision Deep Space content as being accessable from ANY deep space border - making it very easy to start from just about anywhere in Sector Space.
Career Officer
# 7
12-05-2013, 04:25 PM
I like both concepts. The UI suggestions are good ideas.

Passing the numerous star systems on the sector space map, which offer no content due to lack of specific faction content, seem wasted. Frankly, if the system is visible on the map, there could be something there for everyone. Even if that is Foundry vs. Dev-written content. After this many years, Foundry works have always been too far removed from the core experience. Better integration to offer more choices during casual play would, IMO, be welcome from a player PoV. Let alone the authors. Following this with more refined mission tags can only be a good thing.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Tier 2 Constitution for Fleet Refit!
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Career Officer
# 8
12-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Great idea, wish this would be implemented.

"not yIbup. not yIjegh. Haw'be', SuvwI'.
reH yIvoq'egh, not yIHon'egh 'ej 'IwlIj ghogh yIQoy!"

~jodarkrider's female torso improvements suggestions~
Twitter - @JanDarkrider (mostly RP & self-parody in character)
Career Officer
# 9
12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
This is absolutely what the Foundry needs and it needs it soon. In its current state the Foundry is dying a slow death. We need these sort of UI changes and hooks for missions.

All other development focused on the Foundry can be dropped in favor of this. I think most other authors will agree that addressing this most pressing issue is of utmost importance to the continued functioning of the Foundry.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 10
12-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
This is absolutely what the Foundry needs and it needs it soon. In its current state the Foundry is dying a slow death. We need these sort of UI changes and hooks for missions.

All other development focused on the Foundry can be dropped in favor of this. I think most other authors will agree that addressing this most pressing issue is of utmost importance to the continued functioning of the Foundry.
Agreed. The current situation has been allowed to continue for too long and it has hurt the community deeply. Even authors involved in the popular Purity series are feeling the burn. I like everything I see here. It has been said the mission journal is scheduled for an overhaul anyways. I think that the in game system map menu's are the most crucial.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR