Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek BOTF.
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
lots of people comment that all star trek games have sucked. all i got to say is they never played birth of the federation SOOOO amazing. But yes it had cr8zy amount of bugs also.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 02:22 PM
I liked Bridge Commander...the plot and gameplay were pretty shallow (objectives were almost exactly like STO's space combat)

but the interface was really freakin cool (sat on the bridge and gave commands through each of the officers), and the game has a huge mod community (people have made additional ships for the game like Defiant and Voyager...even a DS9 mission pack)
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
I liked Bridge Commander...the plot and gameplay were pretty shallow (objectives were almost exactly like STO's space combat)

but the interface was really freakin cool (sat on the bridge and gave commands through each of the officers), and the game has a huge mod community (people have made additional ships for the game like Defiant and Voyager...even a DS9 mission pack)
it sounds cool. but if botf was a turned based strategy game where u can be 1 of 5 races and takes over systems to build ur fleet. sort of like star wars rebellion but better.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRott View Post
lots of people comment that all star trek games have sucked. all i got to say is they never played birth of the federation SOOOO amazing. But yes it had cr8zy amount of bugs also.
BOTF was a great game, I also enjoyed ST: Generations and Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 02:26 PM
BoTF was an awesome game. It had some serious issues if it got up there in turns though. I know I had a few games run into the 250+ range and it was horrendous then ;p
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
I enjoied ST: Elite Force allot!
Lt. Commander
# 7
ZOMG i loved BOTF i used to play it against my bro so much!

Also remembered it must have had some ***** of a memory leak ...each turn would take probably 10minutes to calculate..so i'd sit and read a book while it did!!

Wow i wanna play that again now!
Lt. Commander
# 8
25th Anniversary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr...(computer_game)

Best Start Trek game.

Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
BOTF, Star Trek Armada, and Star Fleet Command 2 were all great games in their day.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
On average, there's far,far fewer Star Trek games than Star Wars. But ST games have also been very hit or miss. Hey, I still have that ancient Starship Creator from way back when. Makes a wonderful coaster still.

Anyways, on the PC, the best ST games I've played:

Starfleet Command (SFC) Series: Great series of games that tried to give the management of a starship in combat. You had to worry about how you setup your ship's equipment, officers, and subsystems while underway, and of course combat. The system management was deep, especially with SFC 1 & 2. Your warp core could provide so much power, and you had to prioritize which systems got a % of that power. Impulse, Tractors, Sensors, Shields, Weapons (every weapon sucked energy away), ECM / Jamming, etc. SFC 3 slimmed down on stuff to worry about. SFC 1 & 2 were focused on the TMP era of Kirk. SFC 3 was TNG / DS9 / VOY era. It's been years since SFC 3 came out with little to nothing mentioned about a sequel. But the mod community has been pretty kind to this. Getting SFC3 can be pricey these days.
SFC Files

Star Trek Bridge Commander: Made by the guys who did Lucasarts' famed "X-Wing" series (Totally Games). The hook of the game is to play it as the captain, issuing orders to your bridge officers. The "vanilla" version of the game, especially at release, is buggy, but got some decent patching. However, this is one of those games that the mod community has been faithful to, updating and expanding it far from what was originally made.
Bridge Commander Files

Star Trek Birth of the Federation: Overall it was average, IMO. Decent game that I did buy. Nothing spectacular or innovating as far as gameplay goes, but you did get the chance to play as the Federation, Cardassian, Klingon, or Romulan factions. 2 things stood out in my mind with this game:
1) Cloaked Fleets of Romulan or Klingon ships ROCK. That initial onslaught, coming out of cloak could win the battle for you right away. A dozen or so Romulan Warbirds decloaking and unleashing plasma torps + disruptor fire can wipe anything out. Cloaks are so great in the game that the campaign is EASY with the Klingons or Romulans.
2) Random encounters & special events: Things like minor races from the shows are discovered. Up to you to decide on what to do with them (if Klingon, kill them, of course). Best of all, powerful entities pop up causing having. Crystalline Entity and Doomsday Machine come to mind. And the Borg of course, with a cube wiping out fleets of ships. These powerful entities could wipe out a population of a planet if not stopped.

As far as the TNG and later series go, TNG got alot of love and attention in games. Voyager, IMO the worst of all the newer series (well, I didn't watch Enterprise), actually had a game or two, while DS9 has gotten very, very little attention, despite the AWESOME Dominion War background in its later years, and despite the series actually being around before Voyager and having more seasons. Enterprise came out but at a time when ST games really slowed down.