Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Deuce
Imagine if combat was relegated to a text window stating, "you have just defeated the entire Klingon empire by yourself (again), now go complete the difficult task of talking to three NPCs separated by mere seconds of travel time."
LOL

With the nerf this, nerf that crowd aiming at all the challenges... we're well on our way.

There's time travel in the episode missions, and I presume their just going to add more of that to the game, not alternate timelines for the core game. I doubt there will be time travel specific things for any profession or ship type.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Tachyons are NOT theoretical. This is startrek canon. There was an interview last year that brought this up, and of course u can't just go anywhere in time but they said there would be 3 or 4 periods in time thatcan be visited.

I answered this by saying yes there will be missions that will involve time travel. NO it will not be a whole zone able to explore and exist in a different time. Tachyons, fairy dust, red matter or whatever they use to send you back in time is a plot device and WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY SKILL CHOICE or spec line

This is supposed to be one of the features of the finished product. A mission-descriptor saying anything shouldn't be a selling-point. What if you bought a game that features "amazing graphics" and all that is was a window that says, "amazing graphics."

A lot of people did with *** when it advertised as DX10. You might be new to MMO's so let me explain. A game company does not have to deliver everything they have spoken about in development at launch. If they have mentioned mission A, B or C it is THEIR discretion as to whether or not it is included. THATS WHY when you read a box on an mmo it is rather vague in description of specifics in content. DOES THAT MEAN you will not be able to time travel in missions? No, but it likely is only in a few missions at launch, and it certainly wont be free form as in click and ability and bam you are in Kirks living room.

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers,

it usually people asking stupid questions that use this quote. ASKING can i spec skill into time travel? IS A DUMB F'ING QUESTION, and deserved a DUMB F'ING ANSWER...however i started simply by saying huh...what? in order for you to explain it because it seemed to stupid to deserve a response at the time, but obviously you were serious so...well you know the answer to your question now

and if it takes allthis to explainthat my question actually has foundation then you are just proclaiming vapid ignorance and refuse to show respect to everybody else by actually giving consideration before opening your mouth.

You asked one of the top 10 dumbest questions on STO forums. It is the equivalent of me saying can you get Cap't Picard as a Bridge Officer?

But this is what trolls do, so unless you can actually contribute positivelythen get off my thread.

Not all trolls but some do sure...but in the time honored tradition of trolling... YOU STARTED IT.
Relax....have a piece of cake! sorry you can't time travels to Kirk's House.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
ZOMG OP, why are you YELLING!!!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
My OP was in regards to an interview given by Jack Emmert at GenCon 08, where they discussed time travel, and so I thought it would be a fair question that in the event they do implement someform of player-articulated time travel, you would need a bit more than just a button that says "go.". Obv there isn't such a featureyet in the game, and missions don't count if the text tells u that you're someplace else in the continuum. I forgive u but let's drop dumb arguments and consider the possibility. Voyagers attempt with tachyon bursts caused a resonance in the warpcore which had to be ejected.. Maybe if Seven had better skill then it wouldn't have happened. So, skill can be involved in this, and I don't see a tactical officer having the skill to perform that, at leastnot reliably. So would it fall under engineering or science? I'm not looking for crticism of my question, just think outside thebox for a moment and drop any prejudices.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
In theory it would be more of a science type build. But you can not compare apples to oranges as what might seem logical in the shows or cannon does not and will not always translate to the game. The best you can ever hope for in the near future in regards to time travel is mission specific (which ultimately is just an instance that says you are in 2259) and will likely never involve a player generated way I.E. turning on a tachyon pulse that will take you to 2259, which would be another free existing zone that you could freely explore and game in.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Doesn't really matter what build you have for time travel. As long as you can get your star ship to 88 miles power you'll be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriptures View Post
Doesn't really matter what build you have for time travel. As long as you can get your star ship to 88 miles power you'll be fine.
But there are no roads in space!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
My OP was in regards to an interview given by Jack Emmert at GenCon 08, where they discussed time travel, and so I thought it would be a fair question that in the event they do implement someform of player-articulated time travel, you would need a bit more than just a button that says "go.". Obv there isn't such a featureyet in the game, and missions don't count if the text tells u that you're someplace else in the continuum. I forgive u but let's drop dumb arguments and consider the possibility. Voyagers attempt with tachyon bursts caused a resonance in the warpcore which had to be ejected.. Maybe if Seven had better skill then it wouldn't have happened. So, skill can be involved in this, and I don't see a tactical officer having the skill to perform that, at leastnot reliably. So would it fall under engineering or science? I'm not looking for crticism of my question, just think outside thebox for a moment and drop any prejudices.
Ok.. as you seem to have given up on someone else answering the question you asked...

If you read the 'state of game' article on in the news section that game just following Open beta, you will see exactly what they meant about time travel.

There will be new missions/raids added to the game, some of which will based in the past.

There has been no mention of players having the ability to go back in time.

There has been no mention of any equipment or features that involve on demand time travel.

You asked a question and someone answered once they understood what you were asking, it's not their fault if you didn't like the answer due to whatever preconceptions you've now built up.

Anything else is just off the wall speculative "If Cryptic were to make me a game it would do this".
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Also, a lesson to everyone regarding MMO pre-launch marketing. It's all marketing hype until it's in the game at launch.

Major features promised as recently as Fall '09 (and probably since) have been yanked right out of the game (I am of course referring to Crew, and how they actually matter to anything in the game - ehem, death penalty).
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox of the house of Vox
In theory it would be more of a science type build. But you can not compare apples to oranges as what might seem logical in the shows or cannon does not and will not always translate to the game. The best you can ever hope for in the near future in regards to time travel is mission specific (which ultimately is just an instance that says you are in 2259) and will likely never involve a player generated way I.E. turning on a tachyon pulse that will take you to 2259, which would be another free existing zone that you could freely explore and game in.
I appreciate the thoughtful reply. Your signature is becoming increasingly disingenuous. Like having a heart-felt discussion with someone wearing a tshirt that says "everything I say are finely weaved insults". Maybe consider changing your sig?

As a systems programmer I'm aware of promises that may not be met in lieu of budgeting constraints, as well as complexities arising from having a four-dimensional game. The designers of STO have already admitted it isn't even truly 3D, .. The difference is like comparing a stack of paper 10 inches high to a stack of paper 30 sheets high. As a developer I can see solutions, deriving from an existing solution already implemented -- during beta u can see how theyhandled server load by havinghidden instances. Game-changing paradigms of goingback in time to destroy the Klingons so they aren't a threat in STO obv is impossible with the current game architecture, but having three or four instances of the galaxy essentialy consume the same amount of resources, since a service is walking with a player in an instance anyway. You're not going to have 10000 players on the same instance no matter what, and service load is directly proportional to what a player is doing (even if they're just resting)...

Mr. Emmert alluded that the problem they're having with time travel has more to do with re-modeling all the game assets. Like creating a 23rd century version of Earth Spacedock. But it IS on the table. If they say they got lemonade and someone complains about the lemon-water, I don't berate them for expecting some sugar!

Andnope def not my first mmo.. Been around long enough to know better when they serve tripe and expect us to swallow it. This game is going to change, a lot was discarded to meet the feb deadline. Everyone should expect more instead of settling for less. It is entirely understandable to omit facets but we do expect the game will become more and hopefully meet everybodys reasonable expectations. A cookie-cut mmo does not meet expectations for a game we have anticipated for years.