Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
01-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandric
How's that for putting it in terms a developer can understand?
I am a developer and I did not understand it.

You failed to declare any variables.
You did not type cast any variable to make a comparison between a date and a login queue
You did not write the function for "Dispute charges"
"with" is a reserved word.
You did not allocate memory or release resources.
You did not comment your code.
You failed to use a semi colon.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Guys, never mind the complaint about not recieving goods paid for expected with the dubious EULA, at this precise moment (and yes, just this precise moment onwards, though Cryptic still have roughly 30 hours to remedy the situation), you could quite sucessfully win a "False Advertising" case against Cryptic.

Basicly, Cryptic have offered access to the 4 Day Head Start before the game goes live on February 2nd to anyone who purchases a pre-order. As of this point, during the 4 days head start (and remember, they have aprox. 30 hours to remedy this), the servers have spent more "down-time" then time up, running and on-line. As such, the arguement could be made that, at this point, legally, Cryptic are in breech of contract, having defrauded anyone who bought the pre-order, by way of false advertising (technically, false advertising charges do not even require purchase) by not providing access to the pre-start/headstart (legally, as the servers would have been down more then up, the legal arguement could be made that they failed to live up to advertising and did not "legally" grant access to the headstart, thus placing them in breech of the law via false advertising). From a legal standpoint, there would be little Cryptic could do about this as they have failed to live up to their own advertising and thus, are guilty of False advertising.

That said, I'm not going to take them to court over this. Nor am I going to demand my money back. Yes, I am annoyed, frustrated, even a little angry. But I feel it better to temper this and not direct the mounting rage where it would be misplaced. Instead, I am going to be patient. I am going to give them the remaining 30 hours of this headstart. Should I be unable to play for an acceptable number of those hours, I will be unable to form an opinion of this MMORPG and, needless to say, Cryptic will not see anymore of my money by way of subscription (and yes, at this point, I am very glad I have not yet purchased the lifetime subscription, even though it was the one thing that tempted me to get the pre-order). At the end fo the day, I can understand, empathise and even sympathise with all those feeling frustration, anger and rage, but I still advise and council patience. Should you feel the need for reimbursment, then write a formal letter or e-mail to cryptic, atari, your credit-card provider and indeed, the place where you pre-ordered the game, stating your desire to cancel your subscription and to go ahead with reembursment proceedings under justifiable grounds (mis-representation, failure to provide service advertised, false advertisment etc.). I advise a formal letter, as given Cryptics lack of communication to date, it seems highly likely they do not acctually read these forums and instead, all youa re doing is venting your anger and frustrations to space and the community, not those who can acctually do something about them.

Cryptic, should I be wrong and you DO read these forums then take note:
Public relations spokesperson = v.good investment
Enough Servers for a very popular MMORPG not to crash, lag or queue excessively = priceless
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatKing327 View Post
I am a developer and I did not understand it.

You failed to declare any variables.
You did not type cast any variable to make a comparison between a date and a login queue
You did not write the function for "Dispute charges"
"with" is a reserved word.
You did not allocate memory or release resources.
You did not comment your code.
You failed to use a semi colon.
1) my language allows for implicit variable declaration.
2) my language allows for implicit type casting.
3) my language allows you to call functions without specifying parameters by simply using the function name. (Dispute Charges is a .NET function exposed by most of the major CC networks.)
4) my language supports dynamic allocation and garbage collection.
5) It's self documenting code.
6) my code wouldn't compile with a semi-colon... .(your C roots are showing, from one old-timer to another.)