Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durakken View Post
Actually I find that most Star Trek fans are complete idiots that neither live by nor understand the thing that they are a fan of. More over they are fans more because they think it gives them some sort of authority in a subject that they can throw around as if they know something and often are either wrong or lack the imagination or understanding to explain an error away.
That notion can be applied to almost every facet of humanity. Just because you're not exclusively dedicated to something doesn't mean you are not a true fan. I'm certain you are a fan of other things that you don't know everything about, that does not nullify your opinion about those things.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terror_adagio
Considering he didn't outright deny it makes me believe its true.
QFT. Taking it as gospel until proven otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxgguy2001 View Post
That notion can be applied to almost every facet of humanity. Just because you're not exclusively dedicated to something doesn't mean you are not a true fan. I'm certain you are a fan of other things that you don't know everything about, that does not nullify your opinion about those things.
You missed the point of what I said.

I didn't say anything about being a true fan or anything like that. I said that most Star Trek fans are idiots that latch on to obscure meaningless facts, miss the point of the story, and have no understanding of the concepts it presents. That they are using this as a way to make themselves look in some way superior or cool by being "exclusive."

I said most, not all... and most of the people will say "not me"
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durakken View Post
You missed the point of what I said.

I didn't say anything about being a true fan or anything like that. I said that most Star Trek fans are idiots that latch on to obscure meaningless facts, miss the point of the story, and have no understanding of the concepts it presents. That they are using this as a way to make themselves look in some way superior or cool by being "exclusive."

I said most, not all... and most of the people will say "not me"
No, I understood what you said prior to your elaboration. I think it goes much the same for almost everything...religion, sports, technology, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnality
Since when has Cryptic EVER communicated with us without 50 pages of complaints?

Thanks for telling us "not to trust it" but since you've given us nothing else to go on, I still think your company is as good at programming as a sack of rocks is smart.

^.^
And do you think you are any better?

I am getting a little tired of people posting about things they know nothing of. How many of us have programmed a MMO before? How many of us have dealt with server cluster (to day you built a server once does not cut it) ?

There can be a multitude of issues at the same time, it is not black and white...

Change one line of code (amoung millions) and it can have a effect on soemthing else in the code that could not be foreseen... That even happens in games that are many years old, like last week, a quest in howling fjord / northrend / WOW, stopped working, and the GM's were just ticking the quests off as completed for you, because they needed more time to figure out why it was not working..... (my girlfriend had this ticket in)

Please try to understand that not everything is as easy as installing Windows 7 and configure internet access......

(owning a IT service company myself i should know)
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-01-2010, 01:51 AM
People should not rely on the site linked in the original post. It appears to be completely wrong. For one thing, our game runs on a cluster of well over 100 server machines, not the few machines indicated on that web page. Also that site is reporting most of the machines down, and all our machines are currently up.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabasquaia View Post
QFT. Taking it as gospel until proven otherwise.
Well the website can have merrits, but it depend how often is trawls to find the server status, if it only does once a day, or twice a day even it is useless information...

It is easy enough to make a test if you knew IP addresses and just use a simple ping (as long as that would get passed their firewalls). But as i can play, and the website shows all servers and the forums i am on now as offline, i would not really trust it...... That is just common sense, can not even argue on that point...
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-01-2010, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
People should not rely on the site linked in the original post. It appears to be completely wrong. For one thing, our game runs on a cluster of well over 100 server machines, not the few machines indicated on that web page. Also that site is reporting most of the machines down, and all our machines are currently up.
I'm wondering, are there going to be more servers added soon? It seems to me that if we're already having queues, the lines are going to be massive come Tuesday. Or is it that the servers aren't actually full and it's just putting people through a short queue to cut down on lag or something?
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
haha it does seem to be so very wrong,

Account server offline
Account server 2 offline
Controller checker 1 offline
Controller checker 2 offline
Controller checker 4 offline
Error check server online
Game server 1 offline
Game server 2 offline
Game server 3 offline
Game server 4 offline
Patch server offline
Patch server 2 offline
Website offline

only site I ever checked server status on was EvE,
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
and as of 2 minutes ago, that site is down, marked as "SUSPENDED" due to technical problems.
So...demand for STO is so great is knocks random (and incorrect) third-party server status tracker sites?

AWESOME!!!