Captain
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,390
# 11
12-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Thing is Orions are a people who have a very hedonistic culture and lifestyle.
They place higher value on what is appealing to the senses rather than what is practical.

Just look at the ornate carvings and decor on Orion ships and the luxurious interiors.
Which on a sidenote is kind of sad that we don't have any race specific interiors for nausicaan, Orion and Gorn ships in STO.

I also recall that TAS is off-limits to STO due to licensing issues.
The reason we even have Catians in the game is because they have appeared outside TAS.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,107
# 12
12-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorvreenak View Post
I also recall that TAS is off-limits to STO due to licensing issues.
The reason we even have Catians in the game is because they have appeared outside TAS.
Nope. They have the license to all the Star Treks but the JJ movies. Dstahl told us that himself.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,121
# 13
12-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorvreenak View Post
Thing is Orions are a people who have a very hedonistic culture and lifestyle.
They place higher value on what is appealing to the senses rather than what is practical.

Just look at the ornate carvings and decor on Orion ships and the luxurious interiors.
Which on a sidenote is kind of sad that we don't have any race specific interiors for nausicaan, Orion and Gorn ships in STO.
I understand where your position is coming from, but there's a hole in that theory:
we never saw anything other than civilian craft from the inside.
Or rather we never saw anything beyond the luxury cabins of one.
So that position is like saying all human military ships look like the inside of the Titanic because it's the ship we ever saw.
In addition to that the Orion slave market was pretty much the opposite of ornate or impractical.
Also given the methods used by the Orions in "Journey To Babel"....okay I'm honestly a bit over my head on this one but aren't hedonists and people who go on suicude missions in ships designed for suicide missions pretty much polar opposites?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,384
# 14
12-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I understand where your position is coming from, but there's a hole in that theory:
we never saw anything other than civilian craft from the inside.
Or rather we never saw anything beyond the luxury cabins of one.
So that position is like saying all human military ships look like the inside of the Titanic because it's the ship we ever saw.
In addition to that the Orion slave market was pretty much the opposite of ornate or impractical.
Also given the methods used by the Orions in "Journey To Babel"....okay I'm honestly a bit over my head on this one but aren't hedonists and people who go on suicude missions in ships designed for suicide missions pretty much polar opposites?
I thought the interiors we saw were for working syndicate ships. IE the orion equivalent of military vessels? So even if we only saw captain's cabins they would be Kirk/Picard equivalents. Still not the entire ship but it is a clue.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,084
# 15
12-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senatorvreenak View Post
Thing is Orions are a people who have a very hedonistic culture and lifestyle.
They place higher value on what is appealing to the senses rather than what is practical.

Just look at the ornate carvings and decor on Orion ships and the luxurious interiors.
Which on a sidenote is kind of sad that we don't have any race specific interiors for nausicaan, Orion and Gorn ships in STO.

I also recall that TAS is off-limits to STO due to licensing issues.
The reason we even have Catians in the game is because they have appeared outside TAS.
As I recall TAS isn't itself off limits, but some of TAS was done by Niven and that stuff has different licensing that made the Kzinti off limits.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,121
# 16
12-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
I thought the interiors we saw were for working syndicate ships. IE the orion equivalent of military vessels? So even if we only saw captain's cabins they would be Kirk/Picard equivalents. Still not the entire ship but it is a clue.
Well I checked and rechecked and the were only two we ever saw from the inside: Harrad-Sar's barge from "Bound" and the ship from TAS...that's it.
I wish there was more available.
And to be honest, I seriously think that the private barge of a wealthy trader/provateer is not indicative of an actual (para-)military vessel.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,145
# 17
12-15-2013, 01:23 PM
5 Orion ships in canon. A metallic intruder from TOS the Wanderer Blockade Runner (D7 sized) the crab thing from TAS, the stupid potato barge from ENT and the Interceptors (not fighter sized in the show, they were around 100m long) also from ENT.

The TOS and TAS ships seemed normal military vessels and the uniforms from TAS (though a bit silly) seemed to support that.
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 158
# 18
12-16-2013, 08:27 AM
I think in terms of striperific outfits female Orions are already "covered" enough.

If anything, they could use any new KDF non-striperific uniform.

People are missing the fact that all female Orions dressed that way in shows were either dancers or slavegirls. Or spies posing as ones.

Our characters are supposed to be in a military, so this whole slave girl outfit doesn't really fit.
Captain
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,390
# 19
12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedacthunist View Post
I think in terms of striperific outfits female Orions are already "covered" enough.

If anything, they could use any new KDF non-striperific uniform.

People are missing the fact that all female Orions dressed that way in shows were either dancers or slavegirls. Or spies posing as ones.

Our characters are supposed to be in a military, so this whole slave girl outfit doesn't really fit.
This is not a thread about canon Orion outfits, of which none exist in this game, not KDF uniforms.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 158
# 20
12-16-2013, 09:46 AM
But existing ingame Orion characters are KDF military staff. Not dancers or slavegirls.

Cryptic could give female (and male) Orions some outfits inspired by TAS male soldier uniforms. But less cartoonish.

There is no need for more slavegirl outfits.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:20 PM.