Lt. Commander
Anyone else notice that the Milky Way Galaxy and Galactic Core in Sector Space are most likely wrong?

Here is a nice write-up on how it is commonly thought to be: http://www.stdimension.org/int/Carto...federation.htm

Another thing, how hard would it be to put another Sol System zone in point in the Alpha Centauri Sector? And allow people to zone in to the Alpha Centauri Sector via Earth Spacedock and the Sol System.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
So, no one else cares? 'Tis a shame.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
The map of the galaxy has been redone so many times I don't think anyone knows what it really is.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Well the galactic core isn't on the in-game map...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TookyG View Post
Well the galactic core isn't on the in-game map...
But we could go see the giant face if we wanted?

Cool!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSWasabi
Anyone else notice that the Milky Way Galaxy and Galactic Core in Sector Space are most likely wrong?

Here is a nice write-up on how it is commonly thought to be: http://www.stdimension.org/int/Carto...federation.htm

Another thing, how hard would it be to put another Sol System zone in point in the Alpha Centauri Sector? And allow people to zone in to the Alpha Centauri Sector via Earth Spacedock and the Sol System.
I wasn't aware the Galactic Core shows up on any maps inside STO.

Though I think they should modify the background of all sectors to have the familiar Milky Way, so we actually feel like we're flying about in our galaxy and not some other random one, with sectors closer to the Galactic Core having it brighter and larger, as we would expect to see.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
But we could go see the giant face if we wanted?

Cool!
Well, I doubt there'd be much involving that bit of lore since we now know that galaxies (ours included) have massive blackholes at their core.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramierez View Post
Well, I doubt there'd be much involving that bit of lore since we now know that galaxies (ours included) have massive blackholes at their core.
God is a black hole.

You heard it here first!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I guess what I'm saying is not understood.

When in Sector Space (Sirius Sector) look up into the skymap (skydome) and you will see the purplish/greenish Milky Way Galaxy circling this skymap. The galaxy is on a tilt of about +45 degrees on the minimap left side and -45 degrees on minimap right side. When you are facing minimap bottom you will notice that the galaxy is much larger and brighter (Galactic Core) facing this way; this is opposite of what it should be.

I think the Galaxy should be at a tilt of 0 degrees and that the Galactic Core shown should be in the other direction or minimap top. Then with each bit of sector space the galaxy and galactic core do not match up; they should be consistent since they are all part of the same galaxy, no?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSWasabi
I guess what I'm saying is not understood.

When in Sector Space (Sirius Sector) look up into the skymap (skydome) and you will see the purplish/greenish Milky Way Galaxy circling this skymap. The galaxy is on a tilt of about +45 degrees on the minimap left side and -45 degrees on minimap right side. When you are facing minimap bottom you will notice that the galaxy is much larger and brighter (Galactic Core) facing this way; this is opposite of what it should be.

I think the Galaxy should be at a tilt of 0 degrees and that the Galactic Core shown should be in the other direction or minimap top. Then with each bit of sector space the galaxy and galactic core do not match up; they should be consistent since they are all part of the same galaxy, no?
You DO know, that this is a piece of Fiction? And that pretty much every system shows unrealistic backgrounds for pure aesthetics? And that a "nebula" is a big cluster of stars, and not something you can fly through like through some fog?