Lt. Commander
I know it a great idea but one server not going to cut too make people are loging in. so we need more seervers let us pick who we want to play with
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMPER445 View Post
I know it a great idea but one server not going to cut too make people are loging in. so we need more seervers let us pick who we want to play with
I think you may be right.

It would seem that Cryptic grossly underestimated the number of players they would have.

I suspect they are both incredably thrilled right now, and very panicked. lol.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUMPER445 View Post
There isn't one server. You log into a giant server cluster which is presented to you as a unified location.

Do you think Facebook runs on one server? YouTube?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 02:47 PM
I have to agree 100%. I firmly beleive that having 1 server with this amount of player is a recipe for disaster and will only give us more downtime. They should, at least, have 2 servers, one for the US based players and one for Euro players. This will take at least some of the load off, for a short time anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonTR
I have to agree 100%. I firmly beleive that having 1 server with this amount of player is a recipe for disaster and will only give us more downtime. They should, at least, have 2 servers, one for the US based players and one for Euro players. This will take at least some of the load off, for a short time anyways.

yes several servers linked, but ONE shard.....hence the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronox
yes several servers linked, but ONE shard.....hence the issue.
Lol, you folks are so daft. You really think you know the network architecture and its problems. It isn't playschool, the factors in the performance of this system are far more complex that these trivial invectives suggest - though if it makes you feel better to froth about something you really have almost zero conception of, froth away little doggies.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
How about a completely different idea

Completely Separate servers...not linked..at all
Given the number of players completely justified.

1. EU regular server
2. EU RP server
3. US regular server
4. US regular server
5. US RP server

6. Test server

add more if needed

name them after important canon systems.. like Vulcan ect..

The original reason for 1 server was to make sure that nobody would play in an empty
server....now, as it launches we can see...that is not a problem :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
How about a completely different idea

Completely Separate servers...not linked..at all
Given the number of players completely justified.

1. EU regular server
2. EU RP server
3. US regular server
4. US regular server
5. US RP server

6. Test server

add more if needed

name them after important canon systems.. like Vulcan ect..

With the one server goal for Star Trek Online, you do not have to pay to change servers whenever your friends decide to move to another. I say, keep it the way it is.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Guys, its not one server, its not even one shard. There are separate instances - which means they can load balance at whatever granularity they like - each sector, each system, each fleet action, each starbase. What makes you think it is one shard? You are oversimplifying the network topology. If you think just because you can chat with each other anywhere that you're all on the same shard, you're silly, the chat system is global - but that's doubtfully causing any load issues. In fact, this is all idle speculation anyway - for all we know this is all just part of the planned pre-release testing. IT IS STILL PRE-RELEASE. They're taking the system down when they want and as often as they want because they haven't released the game yet. They're getting the kinks worked out now before release day. The giant queues we're seeing may just be their load testing the queuing system. YES, WE ARE PART OF A LATE-STAGE BETA.