Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Scaring people away from the game is not the issue right now. Actually technically fewer new people would help the game, since it is already at capacity.

Maybe they should bite the bullet, and make a play on the situation.

They could stop taking new registrations with a fluff announcement about how popular the game is that it exceeds all expectations, and that they will be letting new players in at such and such a date because game is so awesome capacity has to be reved up.

Get email addresses and get a hype going about how game is so full not everyone can even sign up at release.

That would help the long term prospects, if done where they would return at a later date.

They did great on marketing it seems, and playability as far as I am concerned.

They just have a capacity issue.

Edit:
However that assumes it is a capacity issue and not some inability to reach desired capacity. If it is more then they predicted, then they are rolling in positive revenue, if they failed to meet the ability to handle what they expected, and needed for positive revenue, that is a different story.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 05:16 PM
i think my only annoyance today with the downtime has been that on both occasions i was in the ground/base instance part of Starbase 24 I'm not angry though, my patience levels are so much higher these days, so i'm prepared to be patient
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
So let me get this right. Steam screw up. there are multiple posts saying to download the game via other means and not use steam. you choose to ignore them, and still get ****ed off?

The servers may not be ready, but the game is. I'm sorry to bring up the old saying, but every MMO has its problems. STO is tame in comparison to launches liek WoW, SWG, EQ2 etc.
No mate, didn't ignore the steam warnings, and kept a hard copy on an external drive. I have other games on steam that I also play, which is why i keep the backup!
The unexpected patching may be a problem at steams end, but it completes the culmination of a poor handling of the player base in regards to the game.

I do hope this game is a success, and that they do sort out the problems! But I can only see this following the same path as galaxies, warhammer champions etc!