Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven of Eleven
I am 100% sure Cryptic has ordered a metric frakk-tonne of servers to cope. They are capitalists at heart and certainly aren't stupid enough to not invest in a game as massively popular as STO.

I don't care what poeple have to say about STO... apparantly it's popular enough to out-fill a global server network so it obviously ain't that bad.

A server needs 48 hours to set up, therefore persevere.

If you can't wait for 48 hours, then not even God can help you.

It's cryptic's fault for not realizing how popular the Star Trek universe is. The popularity is a blessing and a curse for Cryptic.

What ISN'T cryptic's fault however, is that they don't have a replicator and a magic wand, cuz this is what your all expecting of cryptic right now. If your not happy with not being able to expect the impossible, then by all means, quit.

There are enough fanatic trekkies to keep the game going. Whiners need to quit so they stop clogging up the servers.
Yup, in 48 hours their Commodore 64s should be at their door.

Seriously, they got their new servers back in beta. Know something we don't know? Who said they were adding more?
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel71 View Post
That's like microsoft saying "I didn't know computers would be so popular" on vista's launch.
Microsoft? The company that has had their auth servers go down under load? And who are notorious for rushing out half finished products and for selling minor updates as a new product?
Lt. Commander
# 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgorgan
Why would they need to communicate, when they can just wait for the pack of rabid red uniformed fanboys to come and defend them?
SOE has tried the "army of astroturf fanboi" defense before. Ask them how that's worked out for them, as they have more former customers than they do existing customers. Far more.

A statement acknowledging the PROBLEM would be a good start. No one expects Cryptic to have the solution right away, but silence is unacceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottySkittles
and you believe him? He has no reference and says it takes 48 hours to build a server...
I didn't say i believed it took 48 hours to start up a server, he just isn't whining constantly and has faith that Cryptic is obviously doing somthing.

I also don't believe all the people who say it doesn't take 48 hours to setup a server, how many of you have setup MMO servers, id imagine it isn't as easy as pie as setting up a website server.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
[Citation Needed]
Stability and Performance
Where the heck did you all come from!?!

Reality has exceeded even our wildest expectations. We looked at numbers from Closed Beta, numbers from games we've worked on in the past, and some numbers that float around the games industry. Based on those numbers, we predicted that about 65% of the keys we generated would eventually turn into active players (some keys never get delivered, others are lost in spam boxes, some are never redeemed, etc.). And, we predicted about 1/6 of those redeemed keys would turn into players that game at the same time. It's what we call our concurrent users or CCU, for short.

The actual numbers crushed our predictions.

So, we tore apart our logs and began doing a lot of extra optimization work even while we stumbled upon some truly bizarre crashes that can only appear with this sort of load. The result? The shard has been steadily improving over the first few days of Open Beta. Given the hardware we're adding and a couple more fixes we have in the pipe, shard performance and stability should continue to improve over the coming week.

END CITATION

From http://www.startrekonline.com/node/899

It was said on teh 18th January, and i am sure there will be a lot more servers coming.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven of Eleven
I am 100% sure Cryptic has ordered a metric frakk-tonne of servers to cope. They are capitalists at heart and certainly aren't stupid enough to not invest in a game as massively popular as STO.

I don't care what poeple have to say about STO... apparantly it's popular enough to out-fill a global server network so it obviously ain't that bad.

A server needs 48 hours to set up, therefore persevere.

If you can't wait for 48 hours, then not even God can help you.

It's cryptic's fault for not realizing how popular the Star Trek universe is. The popularity is a blessing and a curse for Cryptic.

What ISN'T cryptic's fault however, is that they don't have a replicator and a magic wand, cuz this is what your all expecting of cryptic right now. If your not happy with not being able to expect the impossible, then by all means, quit.

There are enough fanatic trekkies to keep the game going. Whiners need to quit so they stop clogging up the servers.
hell ya mate, agree 100%
Lt. Commander
# 27 The promise
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
There was a promise to have new servers installed by launch time ive been sitting waitning in the queue now for almost 2hrs people will not play this game if there are extreme wait times.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbleskin View Post
hell ya mate, agree 100%
in all truth a hope they leave faster, am also 100% sure i dont want to raid with people who flip out at a few down times
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
Microsoft? The company that has had their auth servers go down under load? And who are notorious for rushing out half finished products and for selling minor updates as a new product?
make a better analogy then.
Vista sold big like crack in miami. Microsoft and vista both suck buuut they weren't feigning ignorance at the numbers.

Maybe then I should've said "It's like Apple saying they didn't know telephones would be so popular during the iphone launch" oh wait, wait, someone who hates Apple will now chime in saying THAT was also bad.

I don't give a rats buttwhisker, it's the point that matters not the analogy, grasp it or not -shrugs-
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Yea, just like in open beta when they said- 'wow, we don't have enough servers, but we are ordering some now for you!' Sorry, that's just unacceptable.