Survivor of Romulus
# 1 Datalore's rights violated?
04-11-2014, 12:26 PM
I occurs to me that Datalore was said to be permanently deactivated and disassembled in a time frame that must have been only moments to an hour after his capture. Why? Lore has the same rights as Data should he not? It seems to me that the Federation would have been obligated to repair him, tried him for his crimes and then locked him in a cell to live out the rest of his existence. But dismantling him outright seems akin to an execution, something the Federation does not do.

Also, what about B4's rights as an individual? Sure he seemed dim witted, but he was a unique being in his own right. Overwriting everything he was to bring back Data seems to both cheapen B4's existence as an individual being as well as diminish the sense of mortality Data had in dying.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94154940000&dateline=  1390007378
Captain
# 2
04-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Lore and B4 didn't count as sentient - Data did. hence him not being considered property of Starfleet (they tried to have him too, but a court ruled in Data's favour)

Doesn't justify it, but does explain it.
Captain
# 3
04-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Lore wasn't disassembled - he was first beamed into deep space, then shot with a phaser. Both instances were in combat, in defense of the crew of the Enterprise; further, it should be remembered that he had first admitted to committing genocide upon the inhabitants of the colony world he'd been constructed on, by basically placing a collect call to Galactus.

I don't recall B4 being disassembled, either - I seem to recall something about Data's personality pattern overwriting his, but that's not exactly the same thing, is it? (Please, don't make me watch that horrible movie again just to verify a bit of trivia!!)
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Career Officer
# 4
04-11-2014, 12:41 PM
The STO novel, The Needs of the Many, delves into the ethics of overwriting B4's personality with Data's. Once restored, Data himself is pretty upset that it happened, and actually tried to "delete" himself and restore B4.
You're right. The work here is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
Captain
# 5
04-11-2014, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I don't recall B4 being disassembled, either - I seem to recall something about Data's personality pattern overwriting his, but that's not exactly the same thing, is it? (Please, don't make me watch that horrible movie again just to verify a bit of trivia!!)
That's correct. It's in The Path to 2409, as is that Data is trying to build B-4 a replacement body because he feels guilty about the whole thing.
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
04-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjwrr View Post
Lore and B4 didn't count as sentient - Data did. hence him not being considered property of Starfleet (they tried to have him too, but a court ruled in Data's favour)

Doesn't justify it, but does explain it.
Why wouldn't they count as sentient? They're both androids like Data is. They have different personalities and different intelligence, but isn't that part of being an individual?
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94154940000&dateline=  1390007378
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
04-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnikku View Post
Why wouldn't they count as sentient? They're both androids like Data is. They have different personalities and different intelligence, but isn't that part of being an individual?
Data was never considered sentient, legally. The JAG in 'Measure of a Man' only ruled that Data was not the property of Starfleet, not that he was sentient or 'had a soul'.

B4 was transformed by the memory engrams Data downloaded into B4 to teach B4 everything he knew. The side effect was that Data's personality ended up overriding B4's. Starfleet didn't do anything to devalue B4, as I recall.

As for Lore, others have already pointed out that Lore was extremely dangerous. Remember, the Enterprise crew had to deactivate Data many times because he was a threat. Deactivation is the equivalent of stasis, which starfleet does do to certain prisoners. I'm not just referencing ST:ID here, but in ENT, augment embryos were kept in stasis at the Cold Stations like Cold Station 12.
My Fan Fictions
Captain
# 8
04-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Lore was executed. Okay? Yeah he killed hundreds of people as was drunk on power in charge of a crystalline entity.
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Captain
# 9
04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
As we have seen, disassembling a Soong-type android, does not erase it's memory, experience or even it's personality.

The 3 Soong type androids had all been taken apart and put back together with no lasting repercussions.

Examples:
Lore: Taken apart and stored on his homeworld.

Data:
In "Disaster" riker unmounts his head.
He is deactivated on at least 4 different occations
Loses his head 500 years before he is build, and then has it reattached after said 500 years.

B4:
Well... he was found in pieces and still awake... For Q knows how long.

I'd say the closest what Data did, is to put him into a cryo-prison.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Captain
# 10
04-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Yeah, an "execution" would require Starfleet permanently destroying Lore's body. The mere fact that he could be reassembled with no ill effect means that he's merely in the android version of "cold sleep."