Lt. Commander
# 1 Disable windows key in game?
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the Windows key when in game... Every now and then when I mean to hit Ctrl or Alt or even Z I accidentally hit this key and it minimizes the game. I can get back into the game but it takes about 10 seconds before I can control my character again. IN ground combat this tends to be a problem.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
A problem in every game. Take a screwdriver and pry the button off your keyboard. (I'm not joking.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Hah, well.. I dont want it permanently disabled. I do use it when not in games..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the Windows key when in game... Every now and then when I mean to hit Ctrl or Alt or even Z I accidentally hit this key and it minimizes the game. I can get back into the game but it takes about 10 seconds before I can control my character again. IN ground combat this tends to be a problem.
Try one of these programs:

http://www.fileguru.com/downloads/disable_windows_key

Full list in there, pick the one that suits, bear in mind, I'm not responsible for your (mis)use of any of these programs, I've nether tested them or feel the need to as I don't really hit my windows key.

Ensure you virus scan all downloads and ensure they are clean of virus/spyware/keyloggers.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I had that happen SO many times this week. Annoying for sure You can also just put something UNDER the key to pad it from being pushed down. An alternative to removing the key.

Hopefully that's something they will add eventually. Kind of surprised it's not already there.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Buy a keyboard where you can turn off the windows key (just like my G11). Or do like others have said a pry it off.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Buy a razor lycosa. You can turn the windows key off on that
Lt. Commander
This issue normally happens to everyone and it is also normally only 1 of the 2 windows/apple keys to blame. I have used this method to "disable" that key on cheap keyboards.

supplies:

1 - butter knife or regular screw driver
1 - finger nail trimmer
1 - tube of fast drying glue
2 - tooth picks preferably the round ones

Step 1 - unplug the keyboard and gently pop/pry the key off with the butter knife or screwdriver (dont bend up mom's good silverware!)

Step 2 - break the toothpick into pieces that are round and blunt (do not use the points) so that they will stick out of the key about 1/4 - 1/2 an inch and rest against the "bottom" of the inside of the key.

Step 3 - glue them into the corners of the key AND LET IT DRY FULLY

Step 4 - gently try to place the key back onto the keyboard "sniping a small amount of the "stops" away untill it will snap into place and the key will not depress.

This will leave the keyboard looking correct and stop the pesky key from being pressed accidentally while still giving you the other key to use out of games.