Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 04:00 PM
There are some tribbles that provide useful bonuses. So far my fleet have found one that gives an hour long damage buff and one with an hour long resistance buff. Not huge but nice bonuses. It's possible that there are rarer ones with better buffs so we keep breeding them

Here's our current list:
Function
--
Name (from item info)..................Color

Basic Heal
--
Polygeminus grex thompson.........black
Polygeminus grex dotson............dark brown
Polygeminus grex sparkes.........light brown
Polygeminus grex stahl..............tan
Polygeminus grex vitales..........off-white
Polygeminus grex susilo............white
Polygeminus grex tuffli............striped tan/brown

Damage Buff
--
Polygeminus grex mccary...........tan/brown spots

Resist Buff
--
Polygeminus grex nix..................brown/tan spots
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromAccounting
Whatever you do, don't give one to a Klingon. The tribbles...they don't like that.
The funny thing about Tribbles is I loot mine off of Klingons. I am not talking the Gorn or other Klingon races but off of the bodies of Klingons.

I haven't been able to figure that one out since Tribbles and Klingons are enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
The funny thing about Tribbles is I loot mine off of Klingons. I am not talking the Gorn or other Klingon races but off of the bodies of Klingons.

I haven't been able to figure that one out since Tribbles and Klingons are enemies.
They were EATIN the klingons!!
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon_Hawkwood
There are some tribbles that provide useful bonuses. So far my fleet have found one that gives an hour long damage buff and one with an hour long resistance buff. Not huge but nice bonuses. It's possible that there are rarer ones with better buffs so we keep breeding them

Here's our current list:
Function
--
Name (from item info)..................Color

Basic Heal
--
Polygeminus grex thompson.........black
Polygeminus grex dotson............dark brown
Polygeminus grex sparkes.........light brown
Polygeminus grex stahl..............tan
Polygeminus grex vitales..........off-white
Polygeminus grex susilo............white
Polygeminus grex tuffli............striped tan/brown

Damage Buff
--
Polygeminus grex mccary...........tan/brown spots

Resist Buff
--
Polygeminus grex nix..................brown/tan spots
This!

it is also possible to breed Tribbles, by giving them food to eat (just have a lot of food in your inventory and one tribble, then go to bed. in the morning all the food will be tribbles).

There are even uncommon, rare and epic tribbles you can find through breeding.

The pre-order tribble pet is one of those (better than most, but not as good as the best, apparently).

Enjoy
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirsath
They were EATIN the klingons!!
That could explain it but being I shot the klingon and the tribbles didn't help I think those Klingons may have them as pets.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah the different effects are nice, I even tried breeding them, but no one wanted to buy a tribble for 1000 EC
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Mudd is flying around beaming them into Fed and Klingon ships and bases trying to destroy both sides for revenge due to Kirk throwing his Great Grandfather in prison.

This is the main reason for the Klingons going to war with the Federation
They say the Feds are responsible for the tribble attacks and want to destroy the tribbles and all their Federation breeders

LOL JK
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 10:06 AM
i want a tribble....*sniffles*

>.<
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 10:07 AM
I gave one to my female away team member, and she just stands around petting her tribble endlessly now. It's annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon_Hawkwood
I can confirm all of the above except mccary, although I tried to describe the colors slightly differently, and have one additional one, jasperson (damage buff):

Known Powers:
Healing:
An out of combat self heal
1.25s activate, 6s recharge
" Petting this sub-species of tribble will have the effect of stimulating the body's natural healing capabilities."
[exact effects unknown]

Resistance Buff:
A long duration out of combat self damage resistance buff
"Petting this sub-species of tribble will have the effect of slightly stimulating the body's natural ability to resist all types of damage."
[Adds 1% Resistance to most types of ground damage, with a duration of 1 hour. This does carry over into space combat, although it's not clear if it affects anything useful. Overrides Damage Buff, canceling it.]

Damage Buff:
A long duration out of combat self damage buff
"Petting this sub-species of tribble will have the effect of slightly stimulating the body's natural production of adrenoline, improving one's damage capabilities."
[Adds ???, with a duration of 1 hour. This does carry over into space combat, although it's not clear if it affects anything useful. Overrides Resistance Buff, canceling it.]

Healing:
Polygeminus grex susilo "White" (almost radiant white)
Polygeminus grex stahl "Cream" (under magnification, may be a flecked mix of White and Tan)
Polygeminus grex sparkes "Tan" (a light brown, khaki)
Polygeminus grex dotson "Brown" (a medium-dark brown, milk chocolate)
Polygeminus grex thompson "Black" (probably actually a very dark brown, dark chocolate)
Polygeminus grex vitales "Gray" (pale gray)
Polygeminus grex tuffli "Cream with Brown Stripes" (original description, and probably the way most people think of it; under magnification, it may actually be Brown with a broad equatorial Cream stripe and several large Cream spots. One could argue that the pale color is Tan rather than Cream, but in comparison to jasperson and nix under magnification, the pale color is distinctly lighter here.)

Resistance Buff:
Polygeminus grex nix "Brown with large Tan spots" (spots are approximately circular, and arranged in what may be an approximately cubic or dodecahedral pattern)

Damage Buff:
Polygeminus grex jasperson "Tan with single equatorial Brown stripe"
Polygeminus grex mccary "?Tan with Brown spots?" (from Adeon_Hawkwood, not yet photographed)

I'm starting to build some info on rarity and breeding. nix and jasperson are clearly rarer, and vitales and tuffli seem to be less common. In general, the patterned tribbles don't (usually) drop as loot, they have to be bred. It is possible that vitales isn't technically rarer, but requires mixing white and black without any brown shades, which is less likely to happen in most people's inventory.

Tribble breeding can occur in your active power bar, in your inventory, or in your Bank (Fleet Bank testing still pending). You only need a single tribble to start, although some breeds may require multiple tribbles present. They will consume any "food item", replacing it with the new tribble. Items considered "food items" seem to include all of the consumable out-of-combat regeneration items, including beverages in glass bottles and whatever 25th Century Field Rations are packaged in. It does not include "Provisions", the non-consumable trade item (or at least the chance is very low). It is unknown whether the sort of food consumed to produce the tribble has any effect on the breed result.

Trivia: the names of the breeds (officially sub-species) seem to be the last names of Cryptic developers in at least some cases.

If anyone has detailed breeding tests, please post as much info as possible.

After looking at the material that's starting to accumulate, I'm going to try and start a Tribble FAQ over in Starfleet Academy; hopefully it will become stickied and people can add to it with time. Please see the following thread for further detailed discussion: Tribble FAQ - Tribble Breeding for Fun and, well, Loss