Lt. Commander
# 1 Delta Volanis cluster***k
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
True story: So I'm in the Delta Volanis cluster (these missions are terrible by the way) and I'm doing a mission where an alien race wants to know what happened to their missing ships.

There are derelict alien hulls scattered across an asteroid infested map with about 10 Klingon ships patrolling the area. So I deduce that the Klingons destroyed these alien vessels --only, I go through this song-and-dance of scanning 3 vessels, while battling some Klingons in between that are near the hulls, only to have to scan two MORE vessels because my Science officer isn't quite sure after the first 3. So I now have to scan for anti-protons to identify the weapon type.

If you as a writer throw phrases like "scanning for anti-protons" into a quest text, it doesn't hide the fact that the quest writing is weak and makes no sense. Add to the fact that I can't complete the mission because I can't find the last derelict ship in and amongst the dense asteroid to scan for anti-protons on said ship!

Wish I had a sophisticated starship sensor-like device to tell me where my quest target or random hulls are in space....oh wait...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lykotion View Post
True story: So I'm in the Delta Volanis cluster (these missions are terrible by the way) and I'm doing a mission where an alien race wants to know what happened to their missing ships.

There are derelict alien hulls scattered across an asteroid infested map with about 10 Klingon ships patrolling the area. So I deduce that the Klingons destroyed these alien vessels --only, I go through this song-and-dance of scanning 3 vessels, while battling some Klingons in between that are near the hulls, only to have to scan two MORE vessels because my Science officer isn't quite sure after the first 3. So I now have to scan for anti-protons to identify the weapon type.

If you as a writer throw phrases like "scanning for anti-protons" into a quest text, it doesn't hide the fact that the quest writing is weak and makes no sense. Add to the fact that I can't complete the mission because I can't find the last derelict ship in and amongst the dense asteroid to scan for anti-protons on said ship!

Wish I had a sophisticated starship sensor-like device to tell me where my quest target or random hulls are in space....oh wait...
You do....it's the scan button near your mini-map.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki_Draken_Magus
You do....it's the scan button near your mini-map.
Indeed. It's not just for finding anomalies.

But for some reason it doesn't work all the time.