Ensign
# 1 protonic polaron
12-09-2013, 08:39 AM
If peeps could give me any ideas on if they like the weapons or not thinking on switching to them but dont want to make the mistake.
Captain
# 2
12-09-2013, 08:57 AM
I think they may be ok if you have a ridiculously high crit chance. But if you don't, it falls under a gamer's unwritten rule....

A chance of a chance proc better do something flashy, otherwise its a deficiency.

That proton proc screams deficiency, especially if you aren't a romulan with no crit consoles and not a tactical officer.

If you have all the crit consoles, a romulan with a crew of superior romulan operative and a tactical (attack pattern: beta) it may be worth a tryout

Then again, we are talking about weapon procs, if you don't care about disruptors/antiproton. The rest are all equal
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
# 3
12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
IMO, ok against Voth, maybe, with a high crit chance build. Against anything else, stick to Adv or Elite Fleet weapons. Numbers don't lie.
Just say no to ARC
Ensign
# 4
12-10-2013, 04:20 AM
The generic protonic polaron weapons (meaning not the experimental) has 25% chance on crit proc. Which means, if having 10% crit chance, the chance of the proc per shot is 2.5%, same as other procs. At 20% crit chance its 5%.

Also, its polaron weapon dmg is generic very rare MK XII category, with the generic very-rare MK XII number of mods. Meaning that fleet weapons are better by base dmg/mod wise. This is somewhat compensated if using the Jem'Hadar space set 2 pieces bonus (+polaron weapon dmg), but still lacks behind fleet weapons.

Consequently, to benefit from the protonic polaron weapons requires very high crit chance. IMHO, with crit chance below 20%, the weapon does not worth to be used.

(The experimental version is better, as it has 50% chance on crit, so at 10% crit chance the proc has 5% chance.)