Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I have been selling decent items that I don't want quite easily. I always price them a little bit below item worth and more than I can sell it to the replicator for. I have not had much of a need to have a crap load of "money". I also figure that I'm helping the community a little by selling at a "fair" price.

In just about every MMO I have played, I always undercut the market. Sometimes I sell waaaay below just to clear space. I've even received "thank you" letters from folks minutes after I put it up. I know some folks are going to turn around and sell it for the higher price but I don't care. My goods sell quick and I am happy.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
In Open Beta, everything I put up for sale (with basically the above guidelines) sold within 2 days.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
The Exchange needs a retouch for sure, not just from the Devs but from us as well.

We really dont need to price things so high, personally i make it a point to go 50% less than what the already lowest price is, hopefully it encourages people. But my guess is that prices will tone down over the next couple of weeks.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 08:56 PM
MK I and Mk II is starting to come down pretty quick since so many people are at that level right now. And for Mk III it depends on the item, some things are coming down but most are still extravagantly priced. And don't even think about Mk IV right now, everything starts at 50,000 and goes up.

I figure in 2 or 3 months things should settle down. They need a better search function though along with fixing the categories they have now. And the ability to sort by price.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
I will sell at the highest price people will pay for it.

Yay!
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashnaheen View Post
I will sell at the highest price people will pay for it.

Yay!
As much as I am an American and support capitolism. Everything including capitolism has a dark side. And the above statement is the prime example of the Dark Side of Capitolism: Greed.

Looting stuff in an MMO is akin to playing the lottery. You have no control over what results you get out of the loot any more than you have control over which numbers come up each drawing for the lottery.

Yet these loot items are priced as if real work, rather than the luck of the draw, had something to do with ther acquisition. Now if specific loot were always dropped by specific mobs, then a measurable and quantifyable value can be placed on them. As it is now, there is only one measurable value associated with sellable items, and that is the designated worth of the item. Which is why, if I sell anything on the Exchange, it will be for that value.

All it means is that it might take me a little longer to acquire the energy credits I may need to get stuff I want. But I am in no hurry. It's an MMO, not a race.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
You will find that each item can be had from specific areas, and with enough data you will see that each item will have a specific % chance to be had.

This is quantifiable compensation. If something has a 5% chance to drop, on average it will take 20 times to be had. If I get it in 1 try or 50 it doesn't effect the price. I have just saved you doing something you can only figure will take 20 times to get if you have the credit for it.

Now if you will pay 50k for it when someone else decides to only pay the listed value of 20k, sure I'll sell it to ya for 50k no problem.
Lt. Commander
# 28 Economy or lack thereof
01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
I'd just like to remind everyone that the ST universe does not have an 'economy' as such. replicators make everything by assembling the spare matter in the immediate environment and rearranging the molecules, at the sub-atomic scale, into the required components...as there is also a lot of garbage still generated by a society; refuse also powers the replicator's hunger for 'raw' materiel...my point is this...the in-game economy will sort itself out just like Wall St does...remember that.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2010, 12:07 AM
as the low drop rate of anything that isnt food or batteries im going to hike up prices till i start seeing more items that are not food or batteries the drop rate makes them rare enough. anything starfleet such as phasers and what not i useualy just throw in the replicator but disrupters and what not stuff you dont find so easy is priced make profits.