Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok. I get it. The game/servers need some work, but the only way to convince Cryptic to continue at fullspeed is to support them. Plus, if you came here looking for a Star Trek MMORPG, you can't exactly go elsewhere. Why not take the game for what it's worth. Now granted, i've never seen the launch of any other MMO so i don't know the circumstances, but wouldn't you think that if you really want to play this game at it's full potential one day, then the best thing to do would be to subscribe and support them. At least then, your additional income flow can help them develop.

Lets look at the facts.

1. Star Trek Online is the only Star Trek MMORPG
2. Star Trek players (including myself) complain that there is a lack of Star Trek games on the marketing today. (There really hasnt been a good one since Star Trek 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rties)
3. The MMO concept means frequent updates and addons.

Where else are you going to go? There have not been any other Star Trek games recently (barring Legacy, which was a disaster btw). If you are a Star Trek fan, then you are someone that would want this game to succeed. However, you don't ensure success of this game by cancelling your subscriptions. MMOs are known for updates and Cryptic has already said they want to bring us what we want...although i don't recall seeing many posts about people wanting this new borg stuff they are talking about...but no matter
This is a perfect chance for the Star Trek franchise to become more than a FPS with a 6 month life expectancy. Frankly, if one day, STO could have as many addons as WoW, i would be delighted. And who knows, if the player base is large enough, maybe it will. You just have to not give up.

Now, as for the server issues. Don't get too bothered by these. If Cryptic cannot produce a PLAYABLE game, then they have a legal issue as they effectively sold you a $59/$79 CD KEY and and Uniform pic. It is in their best interests to keep the servers up.

Also, don't use City of Heroes/Villians as an example. These games are older and possibly used less resources. Maybe they DID gauge their requirements based on that, but then realized they weren't sufficient. That is what people wanted right? For them to learn from past games? Maybe they did, just not enough.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBarrier86 View Post
wouldn't you think that if you really want to play this game at it's full potential one day, then the best thing to do would be to subscribe and support them. At least then, your additional income flow can help them develop.
I am enjoying the game so far, and I committed to a lifetime subscription.

That said, getting good value for my money is vastly more important to me than "having a Star Trek MMO." Supporting a product you don't enjoy with your hard earned money is just about one of the stupidest things a person can do from an economic standpoint.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
That's fair. But would you not agree that we may not have seen everything Cryptic has to offer? Perhaps they can get these problems under control. Personally, i think a growing fan base would be an incentive to work harder.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 06:15 PM
I will answer your question with: "We'll see."

So far I feel I've been more than fair with my criticisms, it's not like my expectations were even remotely high in the first place, so we'll see if the game improves at an acceptable pace. If not, I'll just vote with my wallet and have no Star Trek MMO.

There are plenty more MMOs on the horizon that I have my eye on, Star Trek is just a bonus.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 06:19 PM
I think you have missed something, Cryptic by now should have had this sort of stuff sorted before open beta, concidering that Cryptic are behind other MMOG games like City of heros and champions online. its not like there new to this.

but I have brought a 12 month sub aswell as the Digital delux edition of the game so regardless of cryptic getting right or wrong im here for at least a year.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
So far I feel I've been more than fair with my criticisms.
I didnt mean everyone had gone off their rocker. I just meant the people who made comments like "This game is crap," or "Fix it or i quit"...

Stuff of that nature...etc
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 06:20 PM
I wasn't aware that no game, or a half-done game were the only two options. I'm pretty sure it doesn't say "half-done" on the box.

I'm afraid that if we just mindlessly support them, like you suggest, not much will change.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius_PC
I think you have missed something, Cryptic by now should have had this sort of stuff sorted before open beta, concidering that Cryptic are behind other MMOG games like City of heros and champions online. its not like there new to this.

but I have brought a 12 month sub aswell as the Digital delux edition of the game so regardless of cryptic getting right or wrong im here for at least a year.
I'm actually kinda bothered about that. Why is it taking them so long? I wish they would tell us. It would be nice to know the inner workings. eg: did they screw up? if so, take the fall for it..
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 06:21 PM
The beauty of it is I will still be a trekkie even if i choose to not play this turd right now. It doesnt make you less a fan and being a huge fan of the IP doesnt give Cryptic the right to shove a turd down our throats.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBarrier86 View Post
That's fair. But would you not agree that we may not have seen everything Cryptic has to offer? Perhaps they can get these problems under control. Personally, i think a growing fan base would be an incentive to work harder.
As with most other fields of behavior, being rewarded is inducement to continue as one has been. Being punished is inducement to change. The idea of rewarding for disliked behavior on the hopes that it will inspire change flies in the face of most behavioral science.

We don't have to see everything Cryptic has to offer. Perhaps they can do all kinds of things later, but they are not asking for the money later. Box fees need to be paid by the 6th to keep playing. When companies ask for something now on the promise of something later, that's called investment. We are not Cryptic investors. We are customers.