Career Officer
I installed the mac client a few weeks ago on my 2013 macbook pro, 4 ghz ddr3, 2.3 ghz i7 with the Nvidia GTX 650m chip (non-retina).

I've been running STO on this machine on Bootcamp since I got it and the game runs wonderfully in Windows with all setting cranked way up (it really is a pretty game after all). But in the mac client I can't do that which seems really weird. The game is acting like the computer isn't powerful enough to run it. It starts and runs for a while then crashes. I turned off the MSAA but it didn't make any difference. I can make the game crash consistently right now by trying to load into the winter event.

Now I'm not a technical person, but it almost seems like the client isn't utilizing my graphics card. The fan doesn't speed up like it does in Windows and the game never runs long enough for the computer to get warm it seems.

Also, when the game is crashing it no longer submits a crash report. Not sure if you guys are aware of that or if it's still sending in data just not displaying it.

Last edited by hachans; 12-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 2
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Does your computer have two video cards in it? Like an integrated card along with the NVidia card?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
From what your saying and my experiences i believe nvidia cards are not compatible with mac os. the only ones i believe are intel cards. i would suggest trying to use an intel card instead.
Task Force Spectre, Legion of Spectre, and House of Spectre is recruiting!
I watch the only good STO podcast STOked Radio
Want to learn more about any of the above? Let me know!
Career Officer
# 4 Hmm
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
I was just thinking about this: since S8 the game runs very bad, and yes I have a radeon and an integrated video board. Can you tell us mortals what to do to improve performance? ( before S8 the game runned very good with high video settings)
Career Officer
# 5
12-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0niusrex View Post
Does your computer have two video cards in it? Like an integrated card along with the NVidia card?

Thanks!
Yes, it seems like it does. An Intel HD Graphics 4000. It's really weird though, I was looking at it the other day when I wrote this thread to find the model of the Nvidia chip, and now in it's place is the name of the Intel driver.

@Starfleetownsall - It seems strange that Nvidia wouldn't support Os X, it's a laptop, the computer came with it? I'm not saying you're wrong, it just seems weird to me that Apple would put a chip in that doesn't support the operating system.

Edit: Now I google why the graphis card changed in the system settings, apparently it's to save power (I'm on battery running this). I'm never on battery power running the game though. But maybe this phenomena has something to do with it?

Last edited by hachans; 12-12-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added info