Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackbheep View Post
Those of us who registered accounts early were likely doing it because we heard about it through the mmo-grapevine and decided to sign up for a chance at beta. I'd wager by comparison the majority of the Star Trek fans who joined/picked up the game did so during the games advertising campaigns.

Edit: I've not really noticed any specific pattern personally, just throwing out another useless post into the void.
I don't know about that,I am in an on-line guild and we pick up just about every mmo out there,when STO 1st hit our radar it was when Perputaul(spelling) had the rights,I was in there God's and Hero's beta and it was pretty bad(it got canned)and I thought I would maybe keep 1 eye on it,when Cryptic got the rights to it I did get more interested but I was already beta testing 2 games and had no time for a third.

I think in recent years good IP's have been wasted so quite a few of us tried not to get to build up our hopes as we have been let down so much,I followed the game and kept on liking what I heard,once the beta test was near to an end I signed up to the forums and pre-ordered...now have my lifetime sub and ready for the long journey ahead.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptWarpass View Post
ppl cant accept the buyers remorse and still believe that all the problems will go away on launch day. In short DENIAL!!
This.......
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelandric
I'm just curious why every thread that's unhappy with the queue, or outtage, or poor communication etc... sees a quick rebuke from some new Jan 2010 account.

Would someone care to hypothesis?
because its astroturf from the marketing agency. some of the fake posters are really obvious.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
I'm just curious why every thread that's unhappy with the queue, or outtage, or poor communication etc... sees a quick rebuke from some new Jan 2010 account.

The majority of senior member fanboys made really bad names for them self and were too stupid not to use different names for log in and forums so they created new accounts for their retail keys and presto... you have a ton of January accounts defending the game when no sane person who just arrived would consider this acceptable.

I'm a January poster because while I thought cryptic wasn't the best mmo company, and having bill roper on thier team turned me off even more, www.giantbomb.com had a series of videos called "set phasers for fun" which inspired me to at least give the open beta a test. After trying it myself, I enjoy STO, but not it's current condition.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
You are playing Klingon and you talk about sanity? Klingon is a joke tbh and so is PVP in this game.
I like doing things the hard way. My girl likes it even more
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
The majority of senior member fanboys made really bad names for them self and were too stupid not to use different names for log in and forums so they created new accounts for their retail keys and presto... you have a ton of January accounts defending the game when no sane person who just arrived would consider this acceptable.
You are playing Klingon and you talk about sanity? Klingon is a joke tbh and so is PVP in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 05:13 PM
The newer accounts are MMO players who just want to try the newest MMO. They have experience and know that this is normal. Most of the members who have been here longer are primarily Trek fans with no experience with MMOs, and find this whole launch process unusual.

I have the benefit of being from falling into both categories as a huge MMO fan and Trek fan. And all I have to say is that if you want a Trek MMO to exist you have to stick with it and allow them to get everything worked out. Otherwise you will just kill something with the potential for greatness.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Quote:

Alot of it isn't rebukes but more level headed people explaining reasons why things may have blown up, or giving good advice. Like, be patient. Why is that good advice? Well, because we can't do anything else BUT be patient. Or, cancel the game, contact billing, and get a refund.

Really, what is ranting, raging, and temper tantrum throwing going to accomplish? Anything at all constructive? There is NOTHING fanboy about that statement. It in no way defends Cryptic. It is a simple statement of truth. Screaming accomplishes nothing, except perhaps catharsis...but then ONLY if after you have screamed you move on.

What gets me is the belief that there is only TWO ways to view the game:
1)Cryptic sucks, the game is terrible, it is ALL fail
2) if you disagree you're a blind rabid fanbooooiiiiiiiiii

Am I happy about these problems? Heck no. Am I going to lambast Cryptic for not being prepared better, or for not doing this or that? Nope, because right now I have no clue WHY there are problems. In an absence of data all I can do is be patient.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
an evil plot perpetrated by Halliburton and the polar bears....
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucen View Post
Pretty much everyone defending Cryptic has been through other MMO launches, likely several of them. This is a typical game launch. In fact, it's quite a bit smoother than most. People who are complaining with threats to quit or demanding money back (I still can't stop laughing at the class action lawsuit thread) have likely never been through the release of a game like this before. So they don't have the proper context to put it in.

No game launches without issues like these. It's simply par for the course. And don't point to titles like ****, which was running for a year before it was beta tested in the US. It's not the same thing. I'm sure they had plenty of issues in Korea when the game first went live.

Those of us who have been through this a time or two (or 14) were prepared to go through this and know it will smooth out as the first month passes by. That's just the nature of MMOs.
QFT. And because I SAID that there'd be problems in the first week or two. HA HA! TOLD YA"LL SO!
Those of us who expected problems (and like the game) weren't taken by surprise. Of course, there are people who hate the game who also expected problems and they're the ones posting alot of the most negative threads...as well as the gloating ones.