Captain
# 71
12-17-2013, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke89305092 View Post
My take on the Mirror Borg is now up (and the crowd goes wild!).

I went for a slightly darker interpretation of them - rather than make them friendly, it occurred to me that I could take away the positive aspects of the collective - namely, their ordered structure and stability, leaving them as a chaotic, emotionally raw mess...

Admittedly, I could probably have explored them more fully, but this felt like a natural story flow. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

Hot diggidy damn, I enjoyed that. For as brief as we saw them, they came across as truly terrifying. I look forward to any future encounters with that group.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 72
12-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masopw View Post
@wraithshadow: "What are you gonna do Dave, throw it at me?". Instant classic! A very chilling description of poor Captain Donovan...still feel the goosebumps. Question: 3 warp cores?
The U.S.S. Geist is an MVAE, so each of its segments are warp capable, each with its own smaller warp core.
Lt. Commander
# 73
12-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
The U.S.S. Geist is an MVAE, so each of its segments are warp capable, each with its own smaller warp core.
D'oh! Forgot about that...

Treknology question: MVAE is combined, all warp cores are running, and you get an imminent breach in either the Alpha or Beta sections. How does the core get ejected? Does the Alpha section eject upwards? Does the Beta section eject down, taking the Gamma core with it? Emergency separation and pop the affected core?
Captain
# 74
12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
@masopw - I apologize my review is late. This was a fun read! The idea of the Borg being *utterly* different than how we know them was refreshing. I particularly liked how the Captain was reserved yet open the situation, very Trek imo. Thank you for the name-check - it always make me feel connected to the other writers in the LCs

@hawke89305092 - First let me say, living in Atlanta, I very much love the name of your ship. Second, I am a *huge* fan of the classic Miranda-class. 1+1=2. Having said that though, this piece was really good. I'm reminded of the Reavers from Firefly. Well done, sir!
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene

Last edited by cmdrscarlet; 12-17-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Captain
# 75
12-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
D'oh! Forgot about that...

Treknology question: MVAE is combined, all warp cores are running, and you get an imminent breach in either the Alpha or Beta sections. How does the core get ejected? Does the Alpha section eject upwards? Does the Beta section eject down, taking the Gamma core with it? Emergency separation and pop the affected core?
http://thety.org/home/wp-content/upl.../PromDecks.gif

They're separated, so each is able to eject on its own without taking the rest of them with it. it's a clever design, and i would love to see a show based around this ship's design.

http://www.ussprometheusnx59650.0catch.com/uss.htm

The second link has a way better layout given for all three sectors, just incase anyone was thinking that i was mistaking the computer cores lol

Last edited by wraithshadow13; 12-17-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Commander
# 76
12-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
They're separated, so each is able to eject on its own without taking the rest of them with it. it's a clever design, and i would love to see a show based around this ship's design.
The downside is that the ship requires five times the maintenance of a single core, balancing the various warp systems are tricky, and your Chief Engineer better guess the right one when the Captain orders the core ejected

One of the reasons separation classes were dropped from most Starfleet vessels. Tactically useful as a surprise maneuver, very good when an option to evacuate a part of the crew is needed in hazardous situations, but overall very expensive in terms of development and maintenance, and best used as an escape mechanism.
"I am your leader, I am in command. The fate of all my followers lies in my hands. The burden of what is right or wrong, decisions have to be made. I have to take you all into this burning Gate." - Iron Savior, 'Never Say Die'.
Captain
# 77
12-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danqueller View Post
The downside is that the ship requires five times the maintenance of a single core, balancing the various warp systems are tricky, and your Chief Engineer better guess the right one when the Captain orders the core ejected

One of the reasons separation classes were dropped from most Starfleet vessels. Tactically useful as a surprise maneuver, very good when an option to evacuate a part of the crew is needed in hazardous situations, but overall very expensive in terms of development and maintenance, and best used as an escape mechanism.
True, i figure most of the 150 crew would need to be engineering to keep all three manned 24/7. It's also why i try not to use it in every single story, in addition to the constant visits to a starbase for repairs when ever i do use it lol.

I have been wondering if i should use the hanger vehicles listed in the second link for future stories, though i have to admit, those Valkyrie class fighters would be awesome to have in game as a small craft.
Lt. Commander
# 78
12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
@cmdrscarlet: Thanks! (No apology necessary - any review is most welcome!) Making a mirror Borg is so subjective...so many things *could* have happened to shape their way. Was their incorporation of technology forced or voluntary (kind of how people today plug in with their smartphone from waking to sleep); what *is* the purpose of assimilation, really...a way to improve the Collective, or a way to utterly conquer a foe leaving no resistance? No one definite answer given the number of variables! You're welcome for the shout out...it's intended as a thank you for the writers who've pumped out a lot of entertainment! (I only put in shout-outs where the writers indicated in a previous thread that they don't mind. I apologize for any unintended omissions...and can always go back and add it to the list should one ask, "What about me!?!")

@hawke89305092: Wow. That felt like "28 Borg Later"! Intense and awesome!

@wraithshadow13 & danqueller: thanks for the info for the MVAE. I think you've come up with a premise for a future LC...what particular aspect of your ship has your Chief Engineer cursing their career choice?

Last edited by masopw; 12-18-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Captain
# 79
12-19-2013, 11:46 AM
That actually would be an interesting challenge
Commander
# 80
12-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:

@wraithshadow13 & danqueller: thanks for the info for the MVAE. I think you've come up with a premise for a future LC...what particular aspect of your ship has your Chief Engineer cursing their career choice?
"No beer and no TV make Chief Engineer Simpson something something...."
"I am your leader, I am in command. The fate of all my followers lies in my hands. The burden of what is right or wrong, decisions have to be made. I have to take you all into this burning Gate." - Iron Savior, 'Never Say Die'.