Lt. Commander
# 1 I am truly amazed
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I am truly amazed that there are so many people trying to play STO before the official launch date that Crypitc's equiptement cant even handle it. This can be either incredibly good, or incredibly bad. If they get this fixed quick, it will mean that STO will possibly be a bigger sucess than anyone ever imagined and that Cryptic will have all the funds they ever need to provide all the content we want. If this DOESNT get fixed quick, STO's rep will be scarred from the beginning and its almost impossible for an MMO to shake a bad rep(see SWG). Either way, can anyone else believe(figure of speech) that there are really this many people pre-launch? I'm amazed
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 04:47 PM
I think SWG was ruined by more than just one bad moment.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
I gotta agree with this .I wish there was a way to get an official number.It would be interesting to know how many lifetime and preorders are out there.At the moment,I would say too many.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Here's to hoping that there are more servers and players at launch (especially servers)
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Well it's either overwhelming popularity or Cryptic just did what every other MMO developer in the history of MMOs has done, and failed to procure a fully functional time machine or crystal ball. The cynic in me is leaning toward the latter, especially since I knew this would happen without even a shadow of a doubt.

This happens with all MMO launches, successful and unsuccessful alike. I wouldn't pee my pants with dreams of massive subscriptions just yet if I were you, as always the proof will be in the pudding six or nine months from now.

That said, these are also the same reasons people should stop being so angry. It's like this is their first MMO or something.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm amazed at the number of folks trying it out. Open Beta shocked Cryptic with the shear volume of people wanting to "try it".

I think Tuesday will be an even bigger shock to Cryptic when the logins exceed 1million
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
Well it's either overwhelming popularity or Cryptic just did what every other MMO developer in the history of MMOs has done, and failed to procure a fully functional time machine or crystal ball. The cynic in me is leaning toward the latter, especially since I knew this would happen without even a shadow of a doubt.

This happens with all MMO launches, successful and unsuccessful alike. I wouldn't pee my pants with dreams of massive subscriptions just yet if I were you, as always the proof will be in the pudding six or nine months from now.

That said, these are also the same reasons people should stop being so angry. It's like this is their first MMO or something.
So you are saying that Cryptic doesn't know how many pre-order keys were entered into the system?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 04:54 PM
I love that the servers are jammed. I love that there are so many people trying to get on. I am totally ****ed that i couldn't log on right away, and had to wait 5 minutes to play, but I will get over it. So should all you whiners. see ya around the unviverse.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torlak
So you are saying that Cryptic doesn't know how many pre-order keys were entered into the system?
I'm saying that no MMO developer I can think of has known exactly what kind of launch to expect, or been able to prepare their hardware and software for everything that could go wrong. You tell me, why do all MMOs go through a painful "teething phase" like this, if all they have to do is count how many pre-orders they get?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, but Star Trek has an enormous fanbase already. A deluge of non-MMO veterans really should be expected.

MoAr SeRv3Rz pLZ!