Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
DS9

the series was amazing.

It can be looked at as two series really though.

DS9 pre Worf was good but not great.

DS9 post Worf is freaking awesome.
Lt. Commander
I loved all series and movies except the original series. The original had crummy sets and special fx.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
The Next Generation. Definitely. I haven't watched much DS9 and not THAT much TOS but I know I prefer TNG, I grew up on it(somewhat). Nearly each episode, I want to hug Picard, he's just so ****ing awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm torn. I grew up with TNG, so my natural instinct is to say TNG. But after watching it again recently, I've noticed some episodes are very long and drawn out and slow and... well... occasionally quite boring. Watching TOS now though, for as old as it is, I find every episode is exciting and has a great atmosphere of exploration.

It's not really a complaint about TNG though, it went for a long time, and while it was on TV, I prefer a longer, slower series... To me it just doesn't have a great level of rewatchability.

So I guess I'm probably leaning more towards TOS at the moment.

Can't comment on any of the other series as, even though I've planned to forever, I still haven't got around to watching them... Might start with DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMatter View Post
Nearly each episode, I want to hug Picard, he's just so ****ing awesome!
I caught the episode where they decide whether Data was property of star fleet or not a few days ago. I haven't watched much Trek recently, but that reminded me of how much Picard pretty much owns everyone.

Edit- Matsky, definitely give DS9 a go. Like most series season 1 is somewhat meh till they get in the swing of things, but 2 - 6 is just made of win.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 07:48 PM
The Next Generation, without a doubt.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 07:50 PM
I grew up on Next Generation. And even after all these years, I can pop in a DVD and find great stimulation from it!

Although I also very much enjoy The Original Series.

As for the rest... well they kind of went downhill from there, culminating in the embarrassment that was "Enterprise" (at that point, I started watching Battlestar Galactica)
Lt. Commander
# 28 Favorite Startrek Series
01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Well, that would be TOS as I grew up with that series, DS9 because it when you get older you start recognizing all the self righteous streams of verbal diarrhea, and the second half of DS9 had much less of it. Next Generation was meh... because of some silly plots and said verbal diarrhea. I know that TOS was preachy but, even being born in the early 80's it was still cool to watch when I was young, especially with arguably the coolest characters in the mythos, and the torrents of dying red-shirts.

Voyager was horrible, I am sorry, but voyager by plot/dialogue/characters, it was smarmy and self-righteous, and the self-destruct cliche was overused ( I on multiple occasions hoped Janeway would go all the way so it would shut her stupid trap forever ) and even having unlocked a liberated Borg with my life-time account, I would still have the liberated Borg character on the bottom of my choices because one of them was a crew member of that horrible show. All in all I wished I could warp into the tv and slowly roast Voyager over a hyper-nova. And if you thought of my critique of Voyager as harsh. I assure you, my opinnion of that joke of a series known as Enterprise was, much, much lower.

those two alone could plot-wise be the equivalent of the preequal trilogy of star wars and attaching them to the mythos is like attaching dried dog crap to a Fillet Mignon that's already afflicted by freezer burn. After that I thought the only way Star Trek could go from there, was down... way down. To brown town.

So naturally I was happy JJ Abrams came along, took the entire series, dropped it into a industrial wood chipper, to put it out of its misery, and further incinerated the wood chips and pulps, finally taking the ashes and building into the finest series universal jump starts a stale scifi series that was apparently laced with cow-pie could ever ask for.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Tos

Lt. Commander
# 30
01-31-2010, 08:02 PM
TNG after Best of Both Worlds Pt 1

DS9, love the battles and story arc

TOS, Nothing is as cool as a toaster playing a transporter

and the rest, who cares