Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
01-31-2010, 09:05 PM
After watching them all again on DVD...

DS9, for all it's "whew, that's bad" in the beginning, paints the most compelling characters... and gets my favorite slot. TNG and TOS tie for second. Voyager was the worst in oh so many ways, but brought some cool ideas and races to the table, so it edges out the mediocre Enterprise for third.

I look forward to the inevitable TV series based in the jaybraham timeline... I look forward to it in the same way that I did this game in recent months... hopeful thinking with intentionally lowered expectations.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
After watching them all again on DVD...

DS9, for all it's "whew, that's bad" in the beginning, paints the most compelling characters... and gets my favorite slot. TNG and TOS tie for second. Voyager was the worst in oh so many ways, but brought some cool ideas and races to the table, so it edges out the mediocre Enterprise for third.

I look forward to the inevitable TV series based in the jaybraham timeline... I look forward to it in the same way that I did this game in recent months... hopeful thinking with intentionally lowered expectations.
I prey Abrams dies in a firey car crash before he flecks Trek even more
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
01-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
I prey Abrams dies in a firey car crash before he flecks Trek even more
L2cope... it happened, it isn't going away, and you can't wish it away... accept it, and try to enjoy it, it's the only canon ST from here forward.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
01-31-2010, 09:19 PM
DS9, The quality of the writing and character development far exceeds VOY or ENT
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
L2cope... it happened, it isn't going away, and you can't wish it away... accept it, and try to enjoy it, it's the only canon ST from here forward.
Roddenberry's ashes will never rest in peace now
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
I prey Abrams dies in a firey car crash before he flecks Trek even more
This would be nice. The movie by itself wasn't bad, but it just wasn't trek.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37 AND yet...
01-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashnaheen View Post
This would be nice. The movie by itself wasn't bad, but it just wasn't trek.
Somehow, with the depths the series plummeted, JJ Abrams not being "trek" could almost be an awesome thing. Especially when you take into account the Voyager and Enterprise offerings, and some of the mediocre moral platitudes that makes you want the Federation to be incinerated. Sorry but at this point I think that Abrams was a great fresh start.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashnaheen View Post
This would be nice. The movie by itself wasn't bad, but it just wasn't trek.
I think that he tried too much to tie everything together in the alternate universe to make it "Trek" that made it very un-Trek. It was awesome to reunite the characters, but it just got too unbelievable. Fair enough with Sulu, Uhura and Chekov being assigned to the Enterprise as they were, that could have been how it happened as it they really weren't affected too much by the different events in the alternate timeline (though the Uhura thing at the bar was a bit meh). But the way he introduced Spock and Scotty - way too much of a stretch and I had to just numb my mind to enjoy it, to stop myself trying to figure out how on earth this all happened. I also don't really like the way Kirk came on board and became Captain. They took the rogue-ish thing a bit beyond believable levels, the Kirk of TOS would have never pulled half of that **** (though I get he was trying to point out that Kirk's probably more wild since he had no father in this, but... I still didn't like it). They could have done without all the crazy stretches of believability to reunite the "original" crew and made a more deeply believable story (that's what Trek is about to me, depth, and trying to explain everything as logically and scientifically as possible, not making great leaps of believability - Star Wars style).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
01-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
Roddenberry's ashes will never rest in peace now
Not to speak ill of the dead, but honestly, Star Trek became much better when it was finally pried out of Roddenberry's grasp. The man was great for creating concepts, but others were much better at the actual execution of it (like Meyer, Berman and Piller).

Kind of like Lucas in that regard.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
01-31-2010, 10:55 PM
IIRC Roddenberry was against story arcs lasting beyond the ocassional 2 parter episode. Once that was out of the way starting with DS9, I enjoyed the show a lot more.

Not that I think Voyager or Enterprise were better shows than TNG, but the stories were quite enjoyable and lasted from episode 1 till the end of the series in one form or another.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 PM.