Lt. Commander
# 1 Battle Cruisers?
01-31-2010, 04:56 PM
I haven't had much of a chance to play the Headstart, but I was wondering how Battle Cruisers were these days. I'm having a tough time deciding between a BoP (I hear the tier 5 is amazing) or a Battle Cruiser. Right now I'm an Engineer... I know that doesn't matter much for space combat...
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutic View Post
I haven't had much of a chance to play the Headstart, but I was wondering how Battle Cruisers were these days. I'm having a tough time deciding between a BoP (I hear the tier 5 is amazing) or a Battle Cruiser. Right now I'm an Engineer... I know that doesn't matter much for space combat...
Being an engineer matters a great deal for space combat. A huge deal. An engineer in a bop can be one very tough target to take down. You won't do any burst damage, but you can be like chewing on a rock, for a short time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
Being an engineer matters a great deal for space combat. A huge deal. An engineer in a bop can be one very tough target to take down. You won't do any burst damage, but you can be like chewing on a rock, for a short time.
I played a Tact in OB, Kind of felt like going engineering for the survivability, and being annoying to Feds hah. I like both, but the Negh'Var looks sweet. On one had I want to take a bunch of damage, and deal a good amount. On the other, just hand out great damage without taking the damage. I'm sure with the turn rate you can't put Cannons on it. But the quick and nimble BoP is a lot of fun.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Anyone playing a battle cruiser. I'm tempted to try them, not sure how to play or set them up for PvP though? I've just done BoPs since CB. I am kind of worried about being owned because of the turn rate especally on the Negh'Var.

I was thinking about setting them up with beams and maybe one forward and one after torp. What devices work well for them?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
A T3 K'tinga setup is fairly easy.

Fore:
2 Banks/Cannons
2 Torps

OR

3 Heavy Cannons
1 Torp

Aft:
2 Turrets

In the later tiers you'll start to experience that real slow turning, so you'd need to diversify. Luckily you'll have a lot of engi consoles--so you could fit EPS and Turn rates on there--and most everyone else slows down too. Turn rate consoles need to be adjusted though, perhaps to a flat addition. Right now they help quicker turning vessels more than slower ones.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Battlecruisers are, imo, the best damn ship in the game. The K'tinga can absolutely melt anything in its tier thanks to having a good turn rate, good survivability, and the ability to mount cannons. The VorCha is essentially a Galaxy with twice the turn rate, slightly less hull, and the ability to mount cannons.

The NeghVar might turn a little slow, though, to effectively always use cannons. It can still track cruisers well, but with a 4/4 setup, you may want to start using beams anyways. Its also different from its fellow battlecruisers because its Engineer BOff heavy- tanks like a champ.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Battle cruisers are very good, and far more fun to fly than cruisers. Their turn rate is slow, but not needlessly poor, stuck in cement like Fed cruisers.

Put a couple turn rate consoles into them and you can keep cannons on targets very reliably, or you can put a lot of damage resist consoles on and go with beams, or whatever you want. They are versatile and very good for keeping yourself and others alive.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I was thinking about going with beams, and a forward and an aft torp. I was thinking maybe a DoT beam would work well for a BC... not sure though

Thank you for the info guys. It really helps.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
A Eng in a batle cruiser is one mean tank. Look how hard it can be to take down a fed eng in their cruisers
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Quote:
I was thinking about going with beams, and a forward and an aft torp. I was thinking maybe a DoT beam would work well for a BC... not sure though

Thank you for the info guys. It really helps.
I went with 2 x beam banks, 1 x heavy cannons, 1 x torp fore and 1 x tuerret, 1 x mines aft on mine and it seemed to do really well even to the point of being near the same damage at the end of matches as the BoP's. Matches where we dominated BoP's were getting 1.5 to 2 times my damage though.