Lt. Commander
Hi guys, did you ever watch episodes of Star Trek? Did you miss out on the key point that most of the happenings in that series were very much centered around shipboard life and not gratuitous slaughter? I, and I am attracted to Star Trek as a game primarily for the roleplaying potential, and the aspects of playing a game aboard a starship with a crew. This is not to say that you haven't done well with the combat aspect of the game, but I feel that the depth in exploration, scientific, medical, and technical aspects is very much lacking. You would not have to change the game model much to allow players to access for example main engineering on their vessel. Just make the turbolift go straight there if you don't want to map the halls of our ships. Why is it not possible for a human player to be present in engineering on my ship to better manage the abilities of my engineering staff during a fight? Or a doctor in my sickbay? And so on.

The missions are also quite shallow. Why in the infinite universe of scientific, technical, or tactical problems, is only tactical problem solving represented here? Even such a basic game as Elite Force had puzzles to work out with your tricorder.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 04:24 PM
In b4 the casuals start with their "we're at war", "stop trying to turn this in to Sims in space", blah blah blah, etc.

There were streams of threads about how shallow and "pew pew" the game is during open beta, so far no amazing response from Cryptic but one of their staff did mention in a live chat that they are working on minigames and diplomacy.

At least that's something... I guess.

Edit: Also, bless you for starting a thread about anything but the log-in problems.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah but diplomacy with npcs? Snooooore
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedjinn View Post
Edit: Also, bless you for starting a thread about anything but the log-in problems.
Yeah note how fast it got buried lol
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Id
I'll jump on this bandwagon. I was really hoping to see more sandbox stuff and I don't think I'm alone. I want to see ship Interiors and depth in general. I really hope that they follow through with their promise to implement ship interiors now that everyone is distracted by other problems. I'd really like to see more role play and character centered stuff come down the pike.
I'd settle for non-combat missions that involve more than pressing 'F' four times near shiny things.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
I'll jump on this bandwagon. I was really hoping to see more sandbox stuff and I don't think I'm alone. I want to see ship Interiors and depth in general. I really hope that they follow through with their promise to implement ship interiors now that everyone is distracted by other problems. I'd really like to see more role play and character centered stuff come down the pike.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
Yeah but diplomacy with npcs? Snooooore
there are plenty of ways that it could be implemented and it remain fun. so far i actually like most of the missions i've had - yup, they are more in the vein of the last few seasons of DS9 and some of Voyager, but it does have a trek-feel to it, imo.

There is a mission where I had to retake a monastery - not saying it was by any means groundbreaking, but it beat most of the missions i've played in MMOG's recently.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Id
I'll jump on this bandwagon. I was really hoping to see more sandbox stuff and I don't think I'm alone. I want to see ship Interiors and depth in general. I really hope that they follow through with their promise to implement ship interiors now that everyone is distracted by other problems.
I totally agree. one of the highlights of Elite Force (for me) was being able to move around inside the ship - they need to implement the same here!
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
my main issue is the fact that its just so easy. I had a mission to go round an asteroid belt and scan the asteriods with the inevitable enemies at each 1. In the end I just avoided the enemies and scanned to complete the mission, why? cause I didn't feel like tapping the number keys for a bit.

There are so many examples I could give but really they arent gonna read this
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrium View Post
my main issue is the fact that its just so easy. I had a mission to go round an asteroid belt and scan the asteriods with the inevitable enemies at each 1. In the end I just avoided the enemies and scanned to complete the mission, why? cause I didn't feel like tapping the number keys for a bit.

There are so many examples I could give but really they arent gonna read this
Missions are more than a little repetitive. I'd be okay with that if there was a little more depth to distract me.